LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 03:33 AM
David1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear MAlvis,

I've looked at this problem with my instrument cluster & attempted the cleaning fix a number of times over the years.
I've never been successful, probably because I've never been able to remove the 3 gold-colored screws that hold the 2 black covers on as shown in your first photo. This has meant poor access to clean the needle stop.

I haven't wanted to remove the circuit board from the needle drive mechanism to gain access to the screws, because I wasn't sure how easy it would be to reassemble. It's held together with 4 metal tabs on the drive mechanism case that protrude through slots in the board and are bent over to secure them.

Please, how did you remove the 3 gold-colored screws? I'd really appreciate your help. (My wife would too -the parts are currently all over the dining table).
Old 10-24-20, 03:39 AM
David1
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, this is my first time. I was replying to post # 88.
Old 10-24-20, 12:55 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
Sorry, this is my first time. I was replying to post # 88.
David1, I did a speedo/tach needle repair in the below thread. It did not require too much in the way of disassembly, but it did require some close work. I think it was 2018. I am 30,000 miles later with flawless needles and calibration.

... And I Have A New Old Lexus
Old 10-24-20, 07:26 PM
David1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
David1, I did a speedo/tach needle repair in the below thread. It did not require too much in the way of disassembly, but it did require some close work. I think it was 2018. I am 30,000 miles later with flawless needles and calibration.

... And I Have A New Old Lexus
Dear Amskeptic,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.
I followed your link but it led me to a site for Volkswagens. I perused it for a while but couldn't see anything that related to my particular problem, which is removing the 3 screws in the first picture in this thread's post # 88. Does your link relate to this?
Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-25-20, 11:30 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
Dear Amskeptic,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.
I followed your link but it led me to a site for Volkswagens. I perused it for a while but couldn't see anything that related to my particular problem, which is removing the 3 screws in the first picture in this thread's post # 88. Does your link relate to this?
Thanks again for your help.

Did you follow my signature link? That is my professional site. I know I did not have a live link to "...and I Have A New Old Lexus" thread in this forum. It is below. Go to reply # 29.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/849931-and-i-have-a-new-old-lexus.html

Last edited by Amskeptic; 10-25-20 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-25-21, 02:01 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

100% agree. I just bought two circuit boards for the instrument cluster from him and they work just fine!
Old 04-14-21, 08:37 PM
hunnert
Driver School Candidate

Default How to repair a 1990 cluster?

The Temp gauge after a while starts to move but it isn’t the right temp obviously, my only working gauge is my fuel gauge. Would anyone be able to help me understand how to fix this? I can solder, i just want to know how to fix my speedometer, odometer and my tachometer. (The traction and airbag light are not problems, i have a welded diff so that light will always be on and always was on since i welded it. The airbag light was bc i forgot to unplug my battery, it’s a false code i haven’t had time to clear.)
Old 04-14-21, 08:38 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hunnert

The Temp gauge after a while starts to move but it isn’t the right temp obviously, my only working gauge is my fuel gauge. Would anyone be able to help me understand how to fix this? I can solder, i just want to know how to fix my speedometer, odometer and my tachometer
those gauges are gone man. Once they drop they’re done
Old 04-14-21, 08:41 PM
hunnert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
yeah i figured that was obvious lol, but is there a way i can solder in new ones? Or do i have better luck dropping the 2-300 for a new cluster all together.
Old 04-14-21, 08:47 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

yeah i figured that was obvious lol, but is there a way i can solder in new ones? Or do i have better luck dropping the 2-300 for a new cluster all together.
Speaking from personal experience on the 95-97 you can definitely piece the gauges together. If you can get a junkyard cluster you can probably drop those individual gauges in your 1st gen too.
Old 04-14-21, 11:09 PM
hunnert
Driver School Candidate

Speaking from personal experience on the 95-97 you can definitely piece the gauges together. If you can get a junkyard cluster you can probably drop those individual gauges in your 1st gen too.
sweet! i was gonna go to the junk yard my next day off anyways, i appreciate it man! I started her up after a long winter and they just didn’t boot up and i was devastated!
The following users liked this post:
sdls (04-15-21)
Old 09-03-21, 11:41 AM
chrismenke
Driver School Candidate

While you can exchange individual gauges from a second gen cluster with another second gen cluster, and can do the same with a first gen cluster, you cannot move individual gauges from one generation cluster to another generation cluster. I've just torn down two junkyard units and the innards are radically different between gen one and gen two.
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (09-03-21)
Old 09-03-21, 12:14 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

The Temp gauge after a while starts to move but it isn’t the right temp obviously, my only working gauge is my fuel gauge. Would anyone be able to help me understand how to fix this? I can solder, i just want to know how to fix my speedometer, odometer and my tachometer. (The traction and airbag light are not problems, i have a welded diff so that light will always be on and always was on since i welded it. The airbag light was bc i forgot to unplug my battery, it’s a false code i haven’t had time to clear.)
Just a general note since I am seeing this post now.

For issues like these with the needles on first gen, please see the posts I have made several times in the past and Amskeptic's posts.

I had the same problem with my tachometer and fixed it years ago with some glue and caution. It's very repairable.

The needle fading is also documented on LexLS
Old 02-27-23, 11:24 AM
JoeB1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new starting position for my needle is 140kmh...it will increase from there but wont decrease. (My son pegged the speedometer at 180K and when he did it obviously jump realigned ) Doesn't sound like the same issue as yours but I'm hoping use your instruction as a guide for the fix.