LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How hard is it to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires on a 1st gen LS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 04:53 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How hard is it to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires on a 1st gen LS?

I am going to replace both spark plug wires and plugs soon.

Does anybody have instructions?

I want to get some high performance plugs and wires but do not know which brand or should I stay with the sotck ones?
Old 10-04-01, 05:24 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Edogg,

what year is your LS and where are you at in so cal? I just got my spark plugs and wires replaced. The wires were 11 years old.
Old 10-04-01, 07:37 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

94 1stgen LS.Have you don this already?I need instructions.

I am located in west covina/walnut area.It is east of Los Angeles
Old 10-11-01, 10:14 AM
Captain_kewl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Equipment I use:

I used Bosch's Spark Plug Wire set, I had to crimp my own. If you shop around, you can get regular sets w/o having to cut and crimp.

SplitFire is the plug I use.

You should change you plugs and wires one at a time.

I like to keep a tight order, so I work it like this:

Take the first cable you are going to replace, remove it. Match cable length with the new cable (the wires I have were separated from each other, some are not). Install it, but do not connect to spark plug. Remove spark plug. Install replacement plug (I use Split Fire) by FINGER tightening. Once you cannot tighten anymore, use a ratchet to give it a firm seat (DO NOT CRANK IT). Pushwire into plug. Move to the next one.

DO NOT pull all the wires out and then guess on replacing them. If you are not knowledgable in the firing sequence with the LS, you will be buying a Chilton manual (if you can find one) to make sure you have the right order.

If you want to be really careful, you can buy a spark plug gapper (about 45 cents) and measure for the correct gap, but almost all spark plugs are pre-gapped and have a protector to keep it from changing).

If you are uncertain about the timing needing adjustment, take it into a shop (not the dealer) and they can set the timing for a modest price.

Wires and plugs are easy, just be patient, be easy, there is nothing you need to force or to use any real torque to get it right.

If you are uncertain, buy 2 sets of wires and plugs and then return them if you do not use them.

Be careful not to drop anything (dirt, screws, or other foreign objects) in the spark plug chamber)

Good luck!

The Captain
Old 10-12-01, 03:45 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I hope edogg meant location of the plug and wires!

Changing the plugs and gapping it is easy.
Finding where the plug and wires is located is the hardest.
Old 10-12-01, 01:23 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You said it!!! I need that info too...
Old 10-14-01, 02:04 AM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plugs

After reading the post I can see non of you guys changed your plugs, it is a PIA the engine covers are the worst , if I did it again I would pull the radiator for more room, and you cannot make up your wires the cheapest I found was Lexus $122.00 for the set. Good Luck.
Old 10-15-01, 08:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LS400 and SC400 have the same setup. It's not that hard.

For the left (driver side) take the two covers off with 10 mm socket. For the right it a little tricky. take the air filter housing off, remember to take off the MAF connector and the hose off. Then the hose that connect to the throttle body, there is a bolt on the back side of the body. Don't get discourage if youcan't get it off the first 5 min. it will come off and the next time you know what to do. Now take the covers off. If you're buying OEM wires, the wires are number so you don't have to worry about which wires goes where. try to remember which wire goes to which clip holes will make you feel better. Spark plugs change are easy too, take it easy and remember to use ANTISEIZE on the treads so it easier the next time around.
My first time took me less than 2 hrs. that's because I know how to take the right side air box and the throttle body hose off already. If it your first time it may take a lot longer but you can do the whole thing with a 10mm socket 1/4 rachet, a screw driver, a plier to loosen the hose clips and spark plug socket 3/8 rachet extension and one of those bendable thingy.

Hint: When put thing back use DW40 to lub the hoses so it go back in easy. Twist the hoses/spark plugs wire a little before trying to pull it off

If you want to replace the caps and rotors also, it will take you a little longer, but it worth it. To change caps and rotors you need to take off the timing chain cover and it involved take the belt off, radiator hose off...and a lot of back ache. I drop a few bolts while doing it so it took me a lot longer to look for the damn bolts because I needed to raise the car up, take the bottom cover off...so be careful not to drop anything. Do it slow and you come out ahead because you don't spnt haft the time looking for drop bolts.
Another alternative is pay someone to do it, I am cheap and I like to learn how to do the easy stuff.

I paid $91 the set of OEM wires from Carson Toyota. ~$6 per Nep plug, ~$15-16 cap, $8 rotor. Rememeber there are two cap and two rotors for this car.

I'll pay when I can't do it myself.

Have fun working on your car.
Old 10-15-01, 08:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I understand so far. I can't adjust the timing, the car does not have a distributor...The factory shop manual does say to check the timing but it doesn't show how to adjust it

For the cost of paying someone to change your spark plugs and wires you can buy yourself a factory shop manual (there are no after market manual yet) and come ahead on replacing the caps and rotors yourself. I paid less than $100 for my shop manual...
Old 10-23-01, 10:39 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just finishing up putting in a set of Magnecor Hi Performance wires, Bosch +4 Platnium plugs and 2 Jacobs ICE Packs. I am only waiting on 4 wires I special ordered from Magnecor to finish up the job.

I'm happy so far with the setup although I don't have the Jacobs install completed yet, I should have the entire thing done by Friday when I receive the special Magnecor wires.

I have everything mounted and ready to go.

Anyway, the Magnecor wires and Bosh plugs gave me a noticable improvement.

I expect the ICE Packs will take it up a notch or two.
Old 10-23-01, 03:46 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by additude
I am just finishing up putting in a set of Magnecor Hi Performance wires, Bosch +4 Platnium plugs and 2 Jacobs ICE Packs. I am only waiting on 4 wires I special ordered from Magnecor to finish up the job.

I'm happy so far with the setup although I don't have the Jacobs install completed yet, I should have the entire thing done by Friday when I receive the special Magnecor wires.

I have everything mounted and ready to go.

Anyway, the Magnecor wires and Bosh plugs gave me a noticable improvement.

I expect the ICE Packs will take it up a notch or two.
How much are the "Ice packs" and what is the quoted improvements in terms of hp, spark, throttle respone or mpg?
Old 10-23-01, 04:16 PM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what Jacobs says:
-8% gain in horsepower
-10% gain in torque
-16% better mileage
-quicker starts (Hot or Cold)
-smoother engine operation & idle
-eliminates bogs and hesitations and erratic idle
-maximum spark to get up to 99% fuel burn
-reduced spark plug and electrode wear

2 of them cost me about $750

You can email Marc at retsales@jacobselectronics.net

It was tough finding enough real estate to get it all in there, but it wasn't too bad. It all looks nice and professional.

Chris will do everything in his power to help you get the job done, send you extra parts, wires, hardware, mounting brackets, etc.
Chris Byrd [cbyrd@jacobselectronics.net]