LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ls400 instrument cluster lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 10:00 PM
bogee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls400 instrument cluster lighting

I have a '93 ls400. in cold weather ( low of around 45 degrees or less) that hypnotic sequence by which the instrments light up won't begin until the car interior and dash get warm. this can be 5-15 minutes after it is started. i'm assuming the board is warped, or some of the electronics are going.

i beleive the certificates on the walls of the service department don't really mean the technicians are great mechanics. i think they are certified to keep a straight face when they tell you it will cost $2,000 to get your instruments to light up. my non-dealer mechanic told me he had a '93 that did the same thing. he spent $600 at a bone yard for a board that worked for a few months.

what is the solution for this? is there a way to bypass the fancy display and just have the damn things just light up when you turn the key?
Old 10-09-01, 10:11 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: ls400 instrument cluster lighting

Originally posted by bogee

i beleive the certificates on the walls of the service department don't really mean the technicians are great mechanics. i think they are certified to keep a straight face when they tell you it will cost $2,000 to get your instruments to light up.
This STRAIGHT FACED Lexus Tech says "You need a new circuit board for your cluster!!"

It's very common for a bad circuit board to cause this problem. I've seen it many times. Any dealership can order a circuit board with your miles on it to cure the problem. I can't remember the price off the top of my head. You can try a junkyard, but what about the mileage change? I would get it done by the dealership since they warranty their work.

Just because you don't like the price, doesn't mean their trying to rip you off!

Good Luck!
Old 10-11-01, 04:22 PM
bogee
Driver School Candidate

i agree that its not a ripoff just because i don't like a given price, but $2,000 (dealer quote) to have the instruments light up is sheer, pre-planned gouging.
Old 10-23-01, 10:36 AM
yin
Driver School Candidate

Hey if you get your lighting fixed re instruments....which circuit board is needed ???

I think I may have the same prob tooo!!!

Is it really $2000 for a circuit board ???

where is it located ???

thanks
Old 10-25-01, 07:35 AM
bogee
Driver School Candidate

the $2,000 quote was from a dealer. i don't know exactly where the board is located. i bought the chilton book, and the lexus cd you see on ebay, and neither one really shows it.
Old 10-25-01, 06:49 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

You have to remove the combo meter, then turn it around. It's removed from the rear.
Old 10-31-01, 12:32 PM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Bad Lighting Boards

Send me your bad boards and I will try to find the problems and fix them, then I will post the how to and save us all big bucks. Just ask for the old one back when you get one fixed.
Old 11-01-01, 03:15 AM
yin
Driver School Candidate

hi

actually can you tell me the actual board part number on a first generartiion 1994 LS400 (UCF11) ??

Being in england sending the bad board to you will leave me in the dark for a while !!! as it works when the car is warm.

If a a new board is relatively cheap - i might put one in and send you the bad one for repair.

Thanks

And is everyone sure it is a bad circuit board and nothing else ???

Cheers
Old 10-22-02, 05:44 PM
luckyguy
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with my 93 LS400, and it was the circuit board. Here's a summary of my research. I had mine fixed by Mikado Technologies in San Francisco, CA. Yoour mechanic will need to contact them if you want to use them.

Listed below are their emails and what they had to say.

CarAudioLab@aol.com
i normally specialize on repairing Stereos and amplifiers to the component level.... ill be welcome to give your cluster a shot....i have repaired clusters from GM vehicles before.. i don't think this one would be much of a diffrence..

if i repair the unit i can charge you half of what they go for which would be $500 instead of paying $1000..... send me $ 30 deposit up front and i will get started on it that will cover the shipping and the diagnostics..... if i find the problem and repair it .. all you pay me is the diffrence of $470...

i accept Paypal and Money orders only... my PAYPAL id is: Rfonz21@aol.com

you can send unit to:

Car Audio Labs
7708 W. Hillsborough Ave.
Tampa, FL 33615
USA

if you have any questions you can call me at 813-290-9103

DMOTORCO@aol.com
I would have to know exactly what your symptoms are. If your lights are not lighting up at all or if they light up and then go off after it warms up, your problem is the circuit board itself. We can replace the circuit board with two options. One is to keep your origional milage. This would involve sending your circuit board out to be repaired which would take around a week. The cost of this is $615.00 and you would be with out guages untill we got the part back. the other way is to install a repaired circuit board which we keep in stock, your milage would be 0 or close to it and you would not be with out guages at all. The cost of this is $515.00. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

thanks
Daniel Davenport
972-612-3377
www.davenportmotorco.com

bonnema@legacypro.com
Send me the dash and I'll run
a diagnostic on it, and as long as your paying for the shipping both
ways, I'll do this at no charge. If it's fixable I'll let you know
right
away and how much, otherwise I can send it back too you.

It would be nice if you can give be a good weekend to check over the
board if possible.

How dose that sound?
-Justin Bonnema
-Lexus Dash

One other place I found was locally here in the San Francisco Bay Area. They normally only do the work for dealers and repair shops. The name of the place is Mikado Technology (888-962-5236) or mikadotechnology@yahoo.com
Old 10-23-02, 03:22 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

i replaced my instrutement cluster for $280. Everything works. You can get good cluster from salvage yard. Remember, Air Suspension and standard suspension have different cluster.
Old 10-30-02, 08:25 PM
burghard
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Instrument Cluster totally dark

Here is the scoop on the instrument cluster not lighting up: If your cluster is totally dark with the exception of the shifter position and headlight-on lights, your "power source unit" circuit board is shot. Mine started going on my '94 LS400 at low temperatures. Lexus denied that this is a common problem and refused to replace for free. Looking at all these threads it appears to be a common problem afterall.

Anyhow, after procrastinating for months, I finally fixed the problem. I purchased the circuit board part # 83247-5A050-RP with the correct mileage for $610 from Carson Toyota. This board is called the 83247 (No. 1) in the exploded parts list. They initially quoted me a board with 0 mileage for almost $200 less, but then they told me they could not sell it to me. (it was reserved for Nippondenso only, where they then program the mileage). The board is actually two boards connected with ribbon cables. It looks pretty complicated and has more than 10 connectors on it. (maybe that justifies the price to some degree)

Installation is not very difficult and pretty well described in the service manual. If anyone needs the instructions I can send a copy via e-mail. It took me 1.5 hours, working carefully. Now its perfect again!
Old 04-19-08, 05:49 AM
Lexus Cave
Driver School Candidate

Default Burghard

I have a 1994 LS400 doing the same thing, Could you email me the service manual showing me how to tear this thing apart @ tstone4681@verizon.net I also need help with figuring out how to get to the spark plugs. Pictures would be great. Please Help
Lexus Cave
Old 04-28-08, 04:50 PM
3UZTaco
Driver School Candidate

I sent my '94 cluster off to Mr.Whizard a couple days ago. When I get it back, I'll provide a full report as I opted for the full treatment.
Old 09-25-09, 06:05 PM
our60vette
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 400 Instrument panal lights ( or lack of )

I have a 93 LS 400 that also has the lighting problem. It started out going dark just when it was very cold & has worked it's way up to total darkness now. I would like to have the instructions on how to replace the board it one of you guys can email it to me. I've got 251,000 on it now & it doesn't use a drop of oil, has been trouble free except for this problem & a few other electronics problems ( memory buttons, remote doors, etc. ) I do pretty well without dash lights, but it would be nice to have them again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-30-23, 08:56 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was your center console, odometer and stereo display not lighting up either when you turn on your headlights?

Quick Reply: ls400 instrument cluster lighting