LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

S500 or LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 10:50 PM
thelexflex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
A very interesting question. but it all comes down to what you would want to drive because the s500 and the Ls430 both are very similar although not in looks and the feel of the drive but in performance and luxury. Mercedes although is more expensive than the Ls430. Commenting on how the new Ls430 looks like an avalon well i think that is completely wrong then nobody would buy cars because so many cars resemble others. the s2000's headlights are that of the IS300. I have driven the Ls400'99 and the s500'00 they pretty much are the same. The Mercedes has a huge body though which is not comprimised by its handeling but the new Ls430 has almost the same size body with good handeling so its a tough competition. On a closer look the ls430 is very different and not even close to the body style of the Avalon, even though it might seem that way in the begining. I would definately go for the Ls430 because you would be saving enough money to get after market rims to replace the stock ones which i dont like, the only thing abou the ls430. the S class body style is now being shared with the C which is very annoying.
Old 11-17-01, 01:26 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the club!

Actually only the rear of LS430 resambles Avalon. I would pick LS just because its much cheaper to modify. I mean you can buy a LS for less then MB and throwgh some mods to match the price. That would be a much nicer car.
Old 11-17-01, 11:46 AM
VQPOWER
Rookie

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

What's your problem? You're one of few Max owners I DON'T have any beef with. I was talking about some other "post-flame-run" Max owners, not you. Think before you post.

EDIT: BTW a car doesn't make a person. A person makes a person. I don't think I was acting like I am special. Sorry if I can across that way...
N/M then, have a nice day.
Old 11-17-01, 02:02 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, it took me a while to get used the front end of the LS430...I like it now...overall, I agree with Retrodrive in respect to the mods.

I would rather buy an LS430 because:

1) I know it's more reliable. No question about it.
2) They both look great.
3) They both have great features. Just with the Lexus, I know they'll all work reliably...
4) The price difference would allow me to add wheels and body kit and STILL have money left over.
5) I would get the Air Suspension (U/L model) and add a R-Spec Air Sus Controller for lowering. I would STILL have money left over.
6) I know I would get better treatment at a Lexus Dealership.
7) I don't need the Mercedes logo to "show off" and feel more "secure" about my car

As for the Maxima guys, I don't have a problem with you guys voicing your opinions and giving a "outsiders" view...just don't flame and be retarded...
Old 11-18-01, 09:05 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default something missing..

Ten years ago when I bought my first Lexus, an LS, Lexus was head and shoulders above the competition, primarily BMW and MB.

It's pretty clear to me that BMW and MB have been striving mightilly to catch up.

An old saw says "when you're on top you should find a way to compete with yourself", and basically Lexus has been doing a good job of that. To bad they can't get their dealers to move forward with them, only backward, back to the american way!

But how do you go about changing an american dealer mentality that is so thoroughly embedded? After ten years of being on "top" the american Lexus dealers would just as soon screw you as look at you. But that aspect is not much different over at BMW and MB, arrogance personified.

But, when the ML320 first came out it was simply another piece of MB $%#@! But look at one now, it is everything the RX300 should be and more!

I have been a very loyal Lexus fan now for ten years, but now I think its time to move on.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful MY2000 GS300? A MY2001 RX300 AWD?

Replacing both with an MY2002 ML320...
Old 11-18-01, 12:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: something missing..

Originally posted by wwest
Ten years ago when I bought my first Lexus, an LS, Lexus was head and shoulders above the competition, primarily BMW and MB.

It's pretty clear to me that BMW and MB have been striving mightilly to catch up.

An old saw says "when you're on top you should find a way to compete with yourself", and basically Lexus has been doing a good job of that. To bad they can't get their dealers to move forward with them, only backward, back to the american way!

But how do you go about changing an american dealer mentality that is so thoroughly embedded? After ten years of being on "top" the american Lexus dealers would just as soon screw you as look at you. But that aspect is not much different over at BMW and MB, arrogance personified.

But, when the ML320 first came out it was simply another piece of MB $%#@! But look at one now, it is everything the RX300 should be and more!

I have been a very loyal Lexus fan now for ten years, but now I think its time to move on.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful MY2000 GS300? A MY2001 RX300 AWD?

Replacing both with an MY2002 ML320...
I don't know what kind dealer you go to, but when I walk into my Lexus dealership, the service manager comes up to me, shakes my hand and says, "Good morning Mr. Szydlo, how may I help you?" They know me by name. And I'm only 16. That's what I call service.

Also, you are making a horrible decision to lose the GS and RX and buy an ML320. I mean why would you do something like that? I really can't understand...MB dealers are worse than Lexus across the board, not to mention the vehicle itself. My neighbors bought a brand-new ML55 AMG about 6 months ago. It was in the shop ALL LAST MONTH! If you think MB has improved the Yugo-like quality of the ML line, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The GS and RX are some of the most wonderful machines on the road today, in terms of quality, luxury, and safety. The ML will offer you safety and maybe some MB perstige, but not much else. I hope that if you buy the ML you won't have any problems with it. But the numbers are definetly NOT in your favor.
Old 11-18-01, 02:17 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Agreed, the ML didn't get a redesign...it got painted trim, new wheels, bumper got some ducts added it looks like, and the interior was upgraded nicely from when the ML first appeared, but its still the same POS it was when it came out. My bodyshop has the local MB dealer account (this guy runs a top notch operation), and he said next to the Land Rover Discovery, the ML is pure junk. Not to mention it seriously looks like a minivan.
Old 11-18-01, 02:54 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Everytime I see a LS430 I mistake it for a mercedes. Does that happen to anyone else? Not that it's a bad thing..just an observation.
Old 11-18-01, 05:26 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default ML320

Even with its flaws, useless Nav, climate control that is discomforting in cold weather, and fogs rather than defogs, I love my RX300, I truly do, and my wife is still holding firm on keeping it!

Why go to the ML320, one word...

SURVIVAL !

I do not need off-road or low range gearing performance, but once in a great while I do need true AWD, not an RX300 FWD pretending to be AWD.

First Lexus tells me to use tires chains on the front ONLY, and now they tell me that front only is unsafe and I should stick to snow tires all around.

Can anyone tell me why Lexus is allowed to call the RX300 AWD?

Three "open" differentials and a "flaccid" viscous clutch to the rear driveline, ONLY to prevent "windup", does not an AWD vehicle make!
Old 11-19-01, 02:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ML320

Originally posted by wwest
Even with its flaws, useless Nav, climate control that is discomforting in cold weather, and fogs rather than defogs, I love my RX300, I truly do, and my wife is still holding firm on keeping it!

Why go to the ML320, one word...

SURVIVAL !

I do not need off-road or low range gearing performance, but once in a great while I do need true AWD, not an RX300 FWD pretending to be AWD.

First Lexus tells me to use tires chains on the front ONLY, and now they tell me that front only is unsafe and I should stick to snow tires all around.

Can anyone tell me why Lexus is allowed to call the RX300 AWD?

Three "open" differentials and a "flaccid" viscous clutch to the rear driveline, ONLY to prevent "windup", does not an AWD vehicle make!
Do what you have/want to do, but I think the ML is a piece of trash. I still think you would be better served with the RX, or maybe an MDX or X5 if it comes to that...
Old 11-19-01, 04:57 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Definitly forget about the ML. X5,MDX and RX are the better (best) choices. X5 is best IMO but comes at a very heafty price. RX and MDX are very even. X5 is mroe performance oriented. MDX and RX are more well rounded. Better ride comfort compared to sport of the X5. Neither go off road (of course).
Old 11-19-01, 06:38 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

How about a Forerunner or Sequoia? Reliable trucks with good resale value.

You could always buy a subaru wagon. Do you really need something that large?

ML? If you think your RX300 was bad wait until you own a ML. Buy a x5 if you want offroad performance with comfort. Oh, and on road performance too.
Old 12-02-01, 07:12 AM
BradLS430
Driver School Candidate

Default S500 or LS430?

I'll jump in here, late as usual .

A little over a year ago, my wife and I faced a similar decision when we wished to purchase a new high-end car.

Key issues of importance to us, listed in prioritized order:
- Reliability
- Luxury feel
- Ride/quiet
- Styling
- Features (I'm in recovery for a gadget addiction )
- Value
- Price
- Prestige

The wife commutes about 120 highway miles per day, so we wanted something reliable with a great, quiet ride.

After searching for a time, we narrowed the field to the MB S-series and the upcoming LS430 - it wasn't quite available yet.

Once the LS430 arrived at the dealer, we took both the MB 430 and 500) and LS430 (Ultra-Lux) out for extended test drives.

Our impressions:
- MB styling was much better; LS would take getting used to
- LS had more features with Ultra-Lux package
- We would have paid $15K more for a similarly-equipped S430
- LS had a much better cabin environment - best we'd seen!
- Quality seemed similar, but LS430 controls were more intuitive

We talked with prior owners of both makes via the Internet. Lexus owners tended to exude confidence and praise for the quality of the car and the pleasure of dealing with Service Departments nationwide. MB owners loved the prestige of the make, the overall quality, and moaned about Service (expensive and too often visited for a high-end auto).

We decided on the LS430 Ultra-Lux for the above reasons. A year and 30,000 miles later, I still like the MB styling better, but feel we made the best decision for our list of desires.

Brad
Old 12-03-01, 01:08 PM
anthonycecil
Driver School Candidate

Default s 500 style

I also at first thaught mb was more attractive style, but as time went on lexus grew on me. I now think that lexus is nicer, and more true to the ls line of previous cars. The ls430 is un mistakable, where as mb, minus grill, is more generic. IMO the prestige is waning for mb, and those that baught one are to be questioned Tony
Old 12-31-01, 03:49 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

Everyone in L.A has a 2-500 but you see the new LS 430 once in awhile...the new LS 420 is waaay better than a S-500 i've drove both of them.

Quick Reply: S500 or LS430?