LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Changes, changes, changes....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 12:16 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get better gas MPG on teh highway with OD on, but not in the city.

I got almost all my parts from www.lexus-parts.com, search for GRAND LS's posts he has a promotion code for CL member discounts..I think it's "CL911m"

They don't have all the parts on there, but if you request a quote they'll hook you up.

I also used www.lexuspartsonline.com for a lot of stuff, they're cheap.

Off the subject, www.luxurymods.com is also an awesome place for aftermarket Lexus stuff..I've ordered several things from them. Plus, he's a member here "MR LEXO" and he goes out of his way to look out for CL members...highly recommended.

I would have to say the single most valuable source for parts is ebay, personally. All the bushings I pretty much got from lpdautoparts on ebay. Super fast shipping, and usually 50% cheaper than anywhere else for ADUS parts.

I believe there are 4 speed sensors on our LS's, I could be wrong...there are definitely two on the front, not 100% about the rear. My buddies Intrigue did this same thing, we found one of his sensors dangling and strapped it back up to the knuckle and the CEL & trac/abs lights went off...easy fix

What body kit you gettin?
Old 09-19-06, 12:50 PM
AlexTruong
Driver School Candidate

im getting the maxi mythos (jdm) body kit. it is 13pcs so its pretty big. alright ill check it out next week about the speed sensors ill let you know. to help my MPG problem, do you think i should add some additive(injectors cleaner, seafoam treatment, etc.)??? or i should check for parts that need to be changed?

as for OD, so its better to run od off in city and od on only on highway? im pretty newbie with Automatic transmission since its my first automatic car.

oh and i can't wait till next spring, i have my jdm headlights laying in my room too hehe.
Old 09-19-06, 01:15 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Niceeee..the JDMs make a HUGE difference, make the car look much newer. People ask me all the time what year mine is and are amazed when I say 93...they usually think it's a 99, lol..But they don't know much about LS, still it feels good to hear it.

Yes, the OD is best run on the highway...and off in the city.

As far as additives, I would say try the sea foam first....get 2 cans, pour one in your gas tank when it's half or below, preferably...And pour the other in with your oil...let it run for a few days then change your oil out. It made a pretty big difference for me, I know I was seeing a lot of smoke from the fuel can..I heard its because the sea foam is eating all the carbon etc. build up and burning it out.

Then, you should definitely look into things like (if your car is over 150k) motor/tranny mounts..control arm bushings, rear axle carrier bushings...Strut cushions, SWAY BUSHINGS (how could i forget these, what a great CHEAP mod!)..etc.

If you invest in a good set of coilovers you're golden...but if you don't have the money or wouldn't mind some good KYB struts & some nice lowering springs...go that route.

I'm REALLY looking forward to my big project coming up, gonna take a few days off work before a weekend and work throughout it until I'm done with EVERYTHING. The auto hobby shop on my Navy base has a press (for stubborn bushings), plenty of lifts, an easy strut/spring compressor (air I believe)..engine/tranny lifts (for my mounts) and a top of the line alignment system. Plus every tool imaginable to take a car apart..should be fun.
Old 09-19-06, 01:35 PM
AlexTruong
Driver School Candidate

yeah my car has about 165k miles on it. i will try the additive next week. Do you think i should take my LS for winter ? i have to consider that i live in Canada too, so winter here is pretty hardcore. i never drove a RWD car in winter, so i dont know what to expect. im not really scared of rust because im getting the car all redone this spring(there is already some rust spot but not a lot).