LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just can't seem to get that ride back...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 09:26 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just can't seem to get that ride back...

I'm just frustrated with my car now. I've been trying to do what I can to bring back that "Lexus" ride and I just can't seem to get it. The car seems really rough. I feel little bumps in the car. Its not smooth like when I drive some of my friends cars. The car handles large bumps very well, just as well as any other car, but its those small constant vibrations that annoy me so much! Am I just trying to do the impossible with my 94 LS? Here's what I've done in the past few months to try and justify the problem:

New Tokico Shocks
Daizen Swar Bar Bushigns
Daizen Front CA Bushings
New Lower Ball Joints
New Yokohama AVID V4s tires

I've also done the routine maintenance stuff:

Oil change (now with synthetic)
Tranny Flush
Diff Fluid replace
etc

I've had my tires and alignment done by the best over at Custom Alignment in Mountain View.

What's wrong with my setup? Should I have gone with a different kind of shock? I drove my friend' IS (frst gen) the other day, and it just feels amazingly smooth. It handles the rough spots in the road much better. On large bumps, my car handles them just the same, but those little bumps in the road don't seem as obvious in the IS as they do in my LS.

This crappy ride frustrates me right no to no end.. almost enough to abandon my LS project.

Last edited by Suneet; 09-18-06 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-18-06, 09:38 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's more than likely the Tokico shocks coupled with the Daizen bushings. I've heard the Daizen CA bushings tighten up the ride/handling quite a bit...that might add to why you're feeling all the little bumps in the road. If you wanted a softer ride (maybe too soft for some), then KYB's would've been the better option.
Old 09-18-06, 09:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
It's more than likely the Tokico shocks coupled with the Daizen bushings. I've heard the Daizen CA bushings tighten up the ride/handling quite a bit...that might add to why you're feeling all the little bumps in the road. If you wanted a softer ride (maybe too soft for some), then KYB's would've been the better option.
but werent the KYBs known to blow early?
Old 09-18-06, 10:07 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the degradation of handling with the KYB struts? I may switch to these soon. The thing is, with the suspension mods I have so far, the car handles nicer than a stock LS, especially from 0-40, but its still a giant boat, and you can forget about cornering. It just feels a lot more stable on the freeway, which is a plus, and with those sway bar bushings the car seems to roll less in simple turns.

When I instaled the Tokico's I didn't really feel any difference in body roll or cornering ability. The car just felt more stable at higher speeds, and I think you would get that feeling with replacing ANY strut, since my struts had 180K miles on them!

So right now I'm going for the smooth ride, because I don't think you can ever get the LS to handle very sportily. It would be nice, but this is a more practical approach.

Maybe I'll look into a set of KYB struts...
Old 09-18-06, 10:28 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed mine to the KYB shocks after blowing out 2 complete sets (in less than 4 months[feb-may 06])of Tokico's. This was unacceptable since I only drive my car every other weekend. When I had the Tokico's, the ride was entirely too soft and had a really mushy feel to it. I do have a few more mods in the suspension than you do, but overall, I have been happy with the KYB's. MY mods include the KYB's, complete Daizen bushing set for the front (still have to change my rear sway bar set), new ball joints, H&R springs (1"drop), kumho ecsta AXS tires, and of course the routine stuff as well. I have been alot happier since i have done all of these thing to the suspension(over time), and I feel that my car handles alot more sporty, for it to be as heavy as it is. I have a 92 and I also am hauling an amp and 2 12's in the trunk on 18's. I have said it before, I was very unhappy with the Tokico's and I think if you change to the KYB's, especially since you are more stock than I am (suspension wise), you will be very happy. BTW. nice work on the interior.
Old 09-18-06, 11:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The Tokico Blues I had were well over 120K miles...but yes, they are stiffer. I'd roughly say about 35% over an OEM replacement like the KYB GR-2. I've got KYB GR-2 on the Celica now and it's pretty soft. If you have additional weight due to a big system, this may contribute to strut failure. In this case, a more robust model may be necessary.

On a stock wheel-tire combo, it shouldn't be harsh for the expansion joints. I supect as Brian said, those bushings may add to the firmer ride qualities.
Old 09-19-06, 02:57 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sun you really cant compare a 12 year old car to a 6-7 year old car....or maybe even newer with the IS you rode in, it just isn't logical.

I get frustrated too with the feeling of vibrations, but it could be anything..I read a thread where Earl (lexls.com) said when he changed his motor/tranny mounts he lost like 80% of his vibrations through the steering wheel...etc.

But there's always other bushings you can chance that may possibly be bad/going bad...

Front Strut cushion
Rear Axle Carrier & lateral arm bushings
Trailing arm bushings (rear strut rod)
Rear UCA bushings
etc...

I wish you luck with your project and hope you keep your head cool....you will definitely regret abandoning your LS project in the end.
Old 09-19-06, 05:21 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Its simple, if you want that Lexus ride you have to use Lexus parts. ALL OEM parts including the tires and you will have it.

I changed my tires from the Bridgstone Turanzas ER33 to a Continental and night and day diff. Yes the handeling was much better but I felt every pimple on the road, very upset. I bit the bullet and went back to the OEN Bridgstones.

Jerry
Old 09-19-06, 09:18 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want the smooth ride stay with oem struts, period. I believe it has been reported here before that OEM is KYB with specific damping rates specified by Lexus.

Family has 3 LS400's the oldest has been thru 3 sets of struts & after a round of Tokicos is now back to OEM. Oldest is a 90 LS with 228,000 miles & an all new oem suspension (new UCA's & LCA's & ball joints) & has the 15" tires.

My 94 LS has new lower ball joints, 40,000 + miles on replaced oem struts, Daizen sway bar bushings on 18" SC430 wheels with Kumho SPT 235/45/18 tires. I am absolutely thrilled with the ride & handling.

Much nicer than an LS with original size 16's & Tokicos. I have been there & done that. I agree with the 35% stiffer estimate & that will soon start to show other shortcomings in older suspensions.

Last edited by damon; 09-19-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 10:36 AM
fisher9720
Driver School Candidate

Yup,
Put on OEM bushings, softer rubber and KYB's..

I put OEM shocks, KYB, and my car rides like new.. Go OEM and you won't be sorry.. The shocks are only like $135 each or something??? Cheap..
Old 09-19-06, 06:11 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
but werent the KYBs known to blow early?
There's your answer. \/
Originally Posted by trukn1
I changed mine to the KYB shocks after blowing out 2 complete sets (in less than 4 months[feb-may 06])of Tokico's.
Old 09-19-06, 06:44 PM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Sheww...thank god, cuz I just ordered KYBs & Tanabe DF210s...

Have you heard of anyone with this setup, EXE? I was gonna go the JIC route like yourself, but I settled for this...maybe someday, but I think this is good enough for me..I'm no race car driver, like you..lol
Old 09-19-06, 08:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lol, yea, i had it backward for anyone new to the thread and too lazy to read back rofl.
Old 09-19-06, 09:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I'm back to stock suspension on mine as well for the same reason. New OEM springs and shocks replaced the L-sportline stuff.

One additional thing I did this week was also to move from performance tires on my LS430 18" wheels to a touring tire. Not as sporty handling, but a much bigger sidewall and much quieter tire (partially due to the wear on my old Pirelli p-zero Nero M&S tires which was making them pretty loud).

Tires made a huge difference.
Old 09-19-06, 10:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

hey dave u put ur susp. setup for sale yet?

Quick Reply: Just can't seem to get that ride back...