LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this LS400 worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 01:52 PM
importtune
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1700 isnt bad for an LS... it all depends on what you want to do to it... if you are going in the direction of VIP and you are low on cash, i wouldnt steer in that direction... but if you want a daily driver the LS is an awesome car to drive considering your only concerns are cosmetic and not mechanical... but for that price its worth thinking about... you can always get all the cosmetics fixed once you save money for the body work and paint... good luck
Old 11-10-06, 04:16 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ride for sale

If you don't know the history; I wouldn't buy. Especially on a detailing cars - salary.

You're in for a headache if you get an LS that doesn't run well. But these things run so well all the time you may not even notice that something's up until it happens.
And the learning curve on working on one of these is about as bad some Euros (coming from someone who's newest ride is still 9 years old.)
At least the prices for parts on my isuzu are much much cheaper than a Lex. There are ways to get up to speed and have a gain on the curve if you don't do what the dealer says when isht goes bad or breaks. Like certain aftermarket parts and some pretty good welding (exhaust - dont get me started)

If a high mileage LS has not been kept up, it can be a real money pit and suck a lot of your money very quickly.
I would definitely get to know some people and research here for advice and how-to's especially for the main things that will go wrong with a first gen LS. I am working on them one at a time and eventually I'll get to those damn valves.

Can anyone find that post where someone mentioned all the usual culprits for a first gen LS?

I'll start one here:

• Idle Valve on the Steering Pump - around 150k
  • Climate Control Panel - 110k or so
  • A-arms - over 150k
  • Bushings - over 150k
  • Gas Shocks if you have them - 150-200k
  • Starter - For some peeps before 200k
  • Friggin Driver Seat tilt issue - 150k
  • Tilt wheel problem - 180k
  • Rack - 175k
  • blown woofer in rear deck - whenever.
  • catalytic converters - whenever they plug up or blow out
  • add yours here......

not that the LS is a lemon. Trust me its not. (Go buy a Rodeo and you'll find out what a lemon is) My LS has faired me well even over 200k.

good luck in finding that Gem.
Old 11-18-06, 12:37 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for putting all that up man, Will definately keep in mind, as well as come in handy if I get a ls400

UPDATE: well today out of the blue, I found a buyer from work, that bought my civic. So I need to get something ASAP!!!!

I found a 97 white Toyota Camry (American Edition???????) and I got the dealer down to $3900 (has 200k tho) Car runs really good, needs some pads is all, but engine sounds strong and suspension isnt weak. Seemed kind of slow. I think it would still make for a nice daily driver

But I still dont like the price, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????

I would much rather get an SC, but they are kind of rare around here, and as for the LS only one I found was for $4500, and so far no 5series or es300's.

SO IF ANYONE IN THE MIDWEST IS SELLING A CAR LET ME KNOW!!

thanks everyone