LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Age and Profession ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 09:25 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my '91 two years ago when I was 18 working as a bus boy @ a BBQ joint. I'm 20 now and working as a barback but sadly I totalled my baby 3 months ago.
Old 12-28-06, 10:47 PM
savanna13
Pole Position

21 years old, and I am a server. I bought mine this year.
Old 12-29-06, 07:30 AM
jakemt
Rookie

Default Third ls and loving it....

Like a previous post said, I'm also an old geezer compared to most guys here, lol. I'm 48 now and have been in IT since '82. I've been a Lexus lover since '95 when I bought a '91 dark gray ls with 53k for 22k bucks. It was pretty rare since it did'nt have leather seats and came without sunroof and memory settings. For the next 3 years that car was a dream to drive until the timing belt broke at 85k miles. I was not aware the timing belt had to be replaced at 60k since i always took it to an independant dealer for oil changes. Luckily, that engine was a non-inteference type and was able to replace timing belt and water pump for appx. $450. In '00, i sold that car to my sister-in-law and bought myself a '94 ls with 153k for 11k. I have since put an additional 70k on it and recently treated myself to an'00 black on black ls with 96k that only cost 10k! Of course, i had the 90k service done to it with timing belt change and some other stuff as well. Out of the 3 that i had, I'd say the best one was the '91.

Once you experience an ls, its very hard to change since they are so reliable and quite! Thats why i'll porbably always stay with them....
Old 12-29-06, 10:50 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jakemt
Like a previous post said, I'm also an old geezer compared to most guys here, lol. I'm 48 now and have been in IT since '82. I've been a Lexus lover since '95 when I bought a '91 dark gray ls with 53k for 22k bucks. It was pretty rare since it did'nt have leather seats and came without sunroof and memory settings. For the next 3 years that car was a dream to drive until the timing belt broke at 85k miles. I was not aware the timing belt had to be replaced at 60k since i always took it to an independant dealer for oil changes. Luckily, that engine was a non-inteference type and was able to replace timing belt and water pump for appx. $450. In '00, i sold that car to my sister-in-law and bought myself a '94 ls with 153k for 11k. I have since put an additional 70k on it and recently treated myself to an'00 black on black ls with 96k that only cost 10k! Of course, i had the 90k service done to it with timing belt change and some other stuff as well. Out of the 3 that i had, I'd say the best one was the '91.

Once you experience an ls, its very hard to change since they are so reliable and quite! Thats why i'll porbably always stay with them....
Another old geezer here! I'm starting to wonder if I overpaid for my car based on what everyone else has been paying here. I bought my 1996 LS three months ago for $ 14,000. The car is absolutely mint, had only 37,000 miles on it and is virtually a brand new car. I had a choice between my car and a 99 LS with 85K miles on it. They wanted 12K for the 99, but per carfax, it had been in a serious collision and I didn't want to mess around with it.

The reason that the 96 had the low miles related to the fact that the previous owner split his time between NYC and FL and apparently only drove the car when he is in the City. Many residents of NYC don't own cars and those who do don't drive that much because it's a hassle. What do you think about the price I paid?

Last edited by GKLCPA; 12-29-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 03:09 PM
Broker404
Driver

22 years old, real estate agent, 99 LS400, purchased 11 months ago.
Old 12-30-06, 09:38 PM
jakemt
Rookie

Default to gklcpa

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
Another old geezer here! I'm starting to wonder if I overpaid for my car based on what everyone else has been paying here. I bought my 1996 LS three months ago for $ 14,000. The car is absolutely mint, had only 37,000 miles on it and is virtually a brand new car. I had a choice between my car and a 99 LS with 85K miles on it. They wanted 12K for the 99, but per carfax, it had been in a serious collision and I didn't want to mess around with it.

The reason that the 96 had the low miles related to the fact that the previous owner split his time between NYC and FL and apparently only drove the car when he is in the City. Many residents of NYC don't own cars and those who do don't drive that much because it's a hassle. What do you think about the price I paid?
That sounds kind of high. According to kbb.com, the private party value should've been around 12k. And the TMV from Edmunds.com is appx. the same at $11,500. That's assuming its in pristine condition. But then again, if the car turns out to be as reliable as indicated, in the long run you'll probably come out ahead. Even though I paid only 10k for my '00 ls with 96k miles, I still had to do the 90k service at Lexus ($1500) and another 1k for other servicing as well. Since all the major components has already been done, I'm hoping that I won't have to worry about the car for the next 100k miles except for routine oil changes. Good luck with your car. You won't regret it.
Old 12-30-06, 10:01 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

18 years old and working at Panera Bread. Dad purchased a 98 new, and gave it to me when I was 16. Unfortunetely it lasted a whole year, and now I have a 2002 Lincoln LS...

Searching for another LS400
Old 12-31-06, 07:03 AM
jakemt
Rookie

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
18 years old and working at Panera Bread. Dad purchased a 98 new, and gave it to me when I was 16. Unfortunetely it lasted a whole year, and now I have a 2002 Lincoln LS...

Searching for another LS400
tjw98, what happened to your car? Was it in an accident? just curious...
Old 12-31-06, 11:17 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jakemt
That sounds kind of high. According to kbb.com, the private party value should've been around 12k. And the TMV from Edmunds.com is appx. the same at $11,500. That's assuming its in pristine condition. But then again, if the car turns out to be as reliable as indicated, in the long run you'll probably come out ahead. Even though I paid only 10k for my '00 ls with 96k miles, I still had to do the 90k service at Lexus ($1500) and another 1k for other servicing as well. Since all the major components has already been done, I'm hoping that I won't have to worry about the car for the next 100k miles except for routine oil changes. Good luck with your car. You won't regret it.
I got the car from a car dealer (non lexus) rather than a private party and it had been prepped pretty well. I'm getting a clunking noise from one of the front wheels which I figure is likely a bushing, but other than that, there's nothing wrong. As it wasn't driven much, it's in real good shape so I don't aniticipate any major service calls in the offing and I've got aways to go for the 90K service. Notwithstanding, I would have preferred to pay less in retrospect, but I'm ok with the price as I'm going to keep this car for a long time. Thanks for the feedback and best of luck with your car as well.

Last edited by GKLCPA; 01-19-07 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-31-06, 01:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
You know what young drivers do to their cars.
Hey now. Not my fault. Some lady fell asleep and rear-ended my car with an F-150.
Old 01-01-07, 06:39 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

33 years old, and bought mine a little over 2 years ago, looking to upgrade soon. Am a long distance truck driver.

I'm 48 now and have been in IT since '82.
Man you have been in a long time, especially since Lexus didnt hit the US until 89 LOL!!!!! (just pickin)
Old 01-01-07, 06:48 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am sorry to inform you LS forum

This Member Trukn1 is an imposter! He is a PIMP and can be found on Baltimore Ave in Baltimore, MD on any given occasion. Do not discount prices on any item sold to him. He has plenty money. he has been spotted working part time as a dancer at Bacholorette(sp) parties in PG county MD. That would explain the new 07 LS! BEWARE

[QUOTE=trukn1;2327220]33 years old, and bought mine a little over 2 years ago, looking to upgrade soon. Am a long distance truck driver.

J/K couldn't resist Happy Holidays little bro' we will get it right this year!
Old 01-01-07, 05:00 PM
jakemt
Rookie

Originally Posted by trukn1
33 years old, and bought mine a little over 2 years ago, looking to upgrade soon. Am a long distance truck driver.

Man you have been in a long time, especially since Lexus didnt hit the US until 89 LOL!!!!! (just pickin)

Are you for real?? I meant in IT as in (I)nformation (T)echnology... I think you've been truckin' just a little too long...bud lol
Old 01-01-07, 09:18 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jake, I knew exactly what you meant,, I worked as a systems analyst for a few years, and then realized it bored the everloving daylights out of me. Just tried to liven things up a bit,,,LMAO!!
Old 01-02-07, 06:41 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

im 20 .. im a food server .. while going to college majoring in radiology... go my first ls400 when i was 16 then wrecked it .. then got my second ls400 when i was 18 .. so i have had the car for a little over 2 years

Quick Reply: Age and Profession ?