LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 06:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

This past summer I decided to have a little fun on the highway. As I passed 100 mph, I heard a loud bang and the car started shaking. Check out what I found when I got home. By the way, my tires are Z-rated, in case you were wondering:
Attached Thumbnails LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)-dscn6679-resized-.jpg  
Old 01-17-07, 06:45 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there's something about Florida that brings out the speed demon in people. I usually go there every year for vacation and they drive absolutely insane down there and, mind you, this is compared to the Northeast where I live. The highways are clogged with crazy people here, but they don't hold a candle to the average Florida driver on route 75 or the Florida turnpike.

I was driving there one year and saw two guys pulling stunts on motorcycles on a crowded freeway at 80 mph; one guy was doing wheelies while the other guy had was hanging off the side of his bike holding the handlebars. Absolutely insane. Actually, this makes what Horta did seem tame in comparision.
Old 01-17-07, 07:25 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Awesome post. Thanks for the fueling the dreams of those too chicken (read: me) to attempt.

I love the fact you got the mpg reading at 150+ in the pic. Too funny.

To all the clublexus members in "lecture mode," consider this:
When is the last time you heard ANYONE change they way they live based on diatribes on a forum? Better yet, from a suggestion person to person? Not very often, indeed.

Let's keep the forums what they are: entertaining and informative.

...which is precisely what this post is.

Props to Horta.

-jeremy

ps I have the same car in black, so, basically, I can brag about the top speed of my car....=P
Old 01-17-07, 09:52 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with ^ (Jeremy) that was a very constructive response.

Originally Posted by 2tirefire
I don't know what's worse...going 151MPH on a public road, or taking pictures on a cell phone at 151MPH. I believe that common sense didn't follow in your bloodline. Sir you earn the dumbass award, please claim your prize at the customer service counter at Walmart.
EDITED

Last edited by Brandicus; 01-17-07 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 10:00 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I ASKED EVERYONE nicely to refrain from insults. See post #10. I will not ask again.
Old 01-17-07, 11:00 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I ASKED EVERYONE nicely to refrain from insults. See post #10. I will not ask again.
ah I see you found no humor in that thats fine i know your just doing your job bud.
Old 01-18-07, 07:15 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
This past summer I decided to have a little fun on the highway. As I passed 100 mph, I heard a loud bang and the car started shaking. Check out what I found when I got home. By the way, my tires are Z-rated, in case you were wondering:
Wow thats a scary picture..WHat brand were they? By the tread patteren they don't look to be OEM Bridgstone or Dunlop.

Still very sary stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
Old 01-18-07, 07:48 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Horta
Wow thats a scary picture..WHat brand were they? By the tread patteren they don't look to be OEM Bridgstone or Dunlop.

Still very sary stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z, 235/45/17, with 7/32nds of tread remaining ($250/per tire). As scary as the picture looks, it was that much scarier when it happened. I shudder when I think what would have happened had it blown. The tire was on the rear left side of the car. Had it blown, I assume I would have lost complete control and probably rolled the car, or worse.
Old 01-18-07, 07:48 AM
jakemt
Rookie

I can see a little bit where Horta is coming from. When I was about 27 many years ago, I was in LA on vacation and decided to drive to Vegas in a new rented Buick Riviera with a friend of mine. After driving out of metro LA at normal speed, we hit 115mph on highway 15 in the Mojave desert. This highway was almost completely deserted and was straightaway for about 200 miles with practially no hills as far as the eye can see. Visibility was excellent since it was a crystal clear day as is usual in CA and NV. To go less than 85mph in such conditions seemed like you were crawling. Of course, I was a lot younger and stupider in those days since I did not know anything about speed rated tires or if the Buick had 'em or not. Knowing what I know now, I probably would not have gone that fast. But anything less than the aforementioned 85mph, it would take you all day to get there considering the almost 300 mile trip.
Old 01-18-07, 08:51 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
DAMN!! THATS MY TIRE!!!

AND I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR 4 DAYS AGO!
Old 01-18-07, 09:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
I think there's something about Florida that brings out the speed demon in people. I usually go there every year for vacation and they drive absolutely insane down there and, mind you, this is compared to the Northeast where I live. The highways are clogged with crazy people here, but they don't hold a candle to the average Florida driver on route 75 or the Florida turnpike.

I was driving there one year and saw two guys pulling stunts on motorcycles on a crowded freeway at 80 mph; one guy was doing wheelies while the other guy had was hanging off the side of his bike holding the handlebars. Absolutely insane. Actually, this makes what Horta did seem tame in comparision.
YOu never see that up north because they handle the law better up there. Take a flight up to Maine, and you'll realize that everyone drives the posted speed or about 5 over. NOt alot of speeders.

This may sound crazy, but I think the cities in FL might actually pay the police more to not issue as many tickets to keep tourism up. We passed a cop doing about 80MPH on a 55MPH highway near Panama City and the cop just flashed his lights and remained in the bushes.
Old 01-20-07, 09:25 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
but that doesnt give you or any off us the right to condemn someone's actions.
Laws are made by people to keep civility in place. It's our duty to uphold them lawfully, as well. The power of judgment does not belong in the hands of a few individuals, it belongs to the people.

Again, 150mph is unacceptable behavior in my state, from anyone, that's best performed in airspace, not the roads where I live, thank you.

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
This may sound crazy, but I think the cities in FL might actually pay the police more to not issue as many tickets to keep tourism up.
No, although it's far easier for Florida cops to write speeding tickets when on the open road, since there's less congestion, unless you're really going far over the speed limit than the average driver.
Old 01-20-07, 09:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Argentum
Laws are made by people to keep civility in place. It's our duty to uphold them lawfully, as well. The power of judgment does not belong in the hands of a few individuals, it belongs to the people.

Again, 150mph is unacceptable behavior in my state, from anyone, that's best performed in airspace, not the roads where I live, thank you.

No, although it's far easier for Florida cops to write speeding tickets when on the open road, since there's less congestion, unless you're really going far over the speed limit than the average driver.
get a police badge and i may consider listening to this.

in years past there has been talk of forming "civilian militias" to uphold the "laws" of htis country. this is fundamentally different from the actual LAWS of the United States of America.

No sir, you do NOT have the power of judgement. the power of judgement does NOT rest in the hands of the people. The power of judgement as decreed in the Constitution of the United States of America rests in the hands of The United States Government.

and since not every citizen of the United States is not part of the United States Government it may be inferred that indeed, power of judgement IS limited.

it isnt the duty of every citizen to UPHOLD the law, thats what the government is there for. it is every citizens duty to FOLLOW the law, with their sole judges being the aforementioned government.

You can disaprove of someone's actions, but neither you nor anyone else can truly "judge" them.

But, i digress, this is for Horta's high speed run. Im not going to make any more posts in this thread on the topic of right and wrong. if u think that im wrong, PM me or create a thread in the debate forum.
Old 01-20-07, 09:54 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

i think everyone should chill, he was probably careful and had a fun time doin it. no one was hurt- nothing damaged. whats the big deal?
Old 01-21-07, 10:03 PM
Broker404
Driver

What were the RPMs?

Quick Reply: LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)