LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 owners post your wheel setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 03:38 PM
ZoomTroop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper clearance

So so what would try to base the clearance off of? I’m looking to get some bbs lm for my 94 but the specs up front are 18x8 +35 and the rear is 18x9 +42 tryna see what can can fit and what can’t before buying

Originally Posted by RA40
The front calipers are a fitment issue on the 95-00 years. All depends on the spoke clearance so offset does not translate into caliper clearance.

My suggestion would be to call them:
http://www.avid1wheels.com/contact/
Old 04-18-19, 11:40 PM
ZoomTroop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake caliper clearance

Im looking at similar setup with some bbs lm but the offset for the rear is +42 do you think I’ll have issues with caliper clearance?

Originally Posted by lp_yang
Attachment 441238
suspension: tanabe springs(2inch drop) tokico shocks
Wheels: SSR A-Dish
wheel size: 18x8 front 18x9 rear 35 off set for both
tires size: 225 18 40 front 235 18 40 rear
Old 04-19-19, 10:59 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The wheel manufacturer will state for high disk or Big Brake Kit clearance. Medium disk clearance may also clear but depends on the spoke curvature. Low disk, will be fine on the back.
Old 04-21-19, 05:56 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus LS model and year: 1992 LS400
Wheel Make & Model: SSR Vienna
Wheel Size (diameter and width): 18x8 front, a8x9 rear
Wheel Offset Front: +37
Wheel Offset Rear: +37

Tire Make and Model: Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum XL
Tire Size Front: 235/40ZR-18
Tire Size Rear: 235/40ZR-18

Suspension mods: none
Amount of drop: none

LS400 owners post your wheel setup-duhljgo.jpg
Old 05-02-19, 10:52 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm hoping someone can chime in here, can you run a 19x8.5 +15 on the ls400 without fender work or will you need to rill fenders? I know that it depends on how low etc but I'm trying to avoid rolling the rears or cutting them for now but I found a set of wheels I very much like.
Old 05-03-19, 12:11 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best no mod setup for 19" rims

Originally Posted by Cptnslo
I'm hoping someone can chime in here, can you run a 19x8.5 +15 on the ls400 without fender work or will you need to rill fenders? I know that it depends on how low etc but I'm trying to avoid rolling the rears or cutting them for now but I found a set of wheels I very much like.
Most aggressive setup that DOESN'T RUB (from my experience), and that fits with no mods to fender and stock alignment is 19x8.5 ET35 in the front (235/40 tire) and in the rear ET can be as low as ET20, depends on tire. One caveat with 19x8.5 ET35 wheels is that you have to check if they clear brakes, especially if you are looking at BBS LM replicas, they don't clear the brakes and a spacer of 7+mm is needed.

If you are ready to significantly camber out the wheels, then you could try to squeeze in those 19x8.5 ET15 wheels without mods to fender, but then be prepared for rubbing.

Last edited by Kaspars; 05-04-19 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 05:16 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kaspars
Most aggressive setup that DOESN'T RUB (from my experience), and that fits with no mods to fender and stock alignment is 19x8.5 ET35 in the front (235/40 tire) and in the rear ET can be as low as ET20, depends on tire. One caveat with 19x8.5 ET35 wheels is that you have to check if they clear brakes, especially if you are looking at BBS LM replicas, they don't clear the brakes and a spacer of 7+mm is needed.

If your ready to significantly camber out the wheels, then you could try to squeeze in those 19x8.5 ET15 wheels without mods to fender, but then be prepared rubbing.
These are what I'm looking at. My buddy has them on his rc350 and they're a great looking wheel. They clear his front brakes and he has 4pot fronts also. These ones in particular are a 38mm offset. The back backspacing aspect is one thing I'm not particularly knowledgeable in.
Old 05-03-19, 05:17 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Hopefully the image worked
Old 05-04-19, 12:53 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

When it comes to clearance to the the brakes it's not so much about backspacing or offset and it's more about the shape of spokes. Of course if you have lower offset it's more likely that the face of the wheel will be more concave and therefore there will be more space around the mounting point. However there are also wheels with large offset (for example ET45, oem for LS) that will fit because the face of wheel is convex, which bulges outwards and crates more space behind the spokes.

And about those Verde V99, first of all they are good looking . But I don't know for sure if they will fit. They most likely will fit, as the face of the wheel is convex, and there is also alot of pictures on google with these wheels on Audis RS4/5/6, and those cars have huge brakes.
Old 05-05-19, 07:21 PM
realVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The winter setup. OEM Hyundai Tuscon wheels 18x7.5 I believe on 225/45 Sumitomo winter treads
After owning the LS for 2+ years and 20k miles, it was finally time to replace the 200k OE suspension, so I threw some Coils on it, and the wheels from my WRXs last setup on and called it a day. Here's my Daily

Godspeed 16 way coilovers
MB Battles 18x9.5 +22 on 245/ 40s
No fender mods yet, will prob remove the plastic liner thing in the rear and a very slight roll up front. no huge rubbing issues.

Last edited by realVIP; 05-05-19 at 07:28 PM. Reason: +Winter setup
Old 05-05-19, 07:25 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Originally Posted by realVIP
After owning the LS for 2+ years and 20k miles, it was finally time to replace the 200k OE suspension, so I threw some Coils on it, and the wheels from my WRXs last setup on and called it a day. Here's my Daily

Godspeed 16 way coilovers
MB Battles 18x9.5 +22 on 245/ 40s
No fender mods yet, will prob remove the plastic liner thing in the rear and a very slight roll up front. no huge rubbing issues.
This is really helpful! I'm glad to know you are running a 9.5 with no fender mods!
Old 05-05-19, 07:37 PM
realVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say it does rub a little bit up front but its not a huge issue, I've only taken it across town twice, so I'll continue to dial it in as I get some more miles on this setup
Old 05-06-19, 10:35 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

No offence, but I have to respectfully disagree with statement that setup rubbing is minimal. It could be that our definition of "a little bit of rubbing differs" and that's ok. Or that your use case for the car differs for example slow cruising from point A to B, which also is OK. But that doesn't change the fact it will rub and actually quite a lot especially if you hit a bump in reasonably sharp turn or take the car to back-roads for "spirited" (as spirited as luxo-barge can manage) drive. I have 19x8.5 ET30 (ET35 + only 5mm spacer because i did some clearancing on caliper with grinder) with 225/40 in the front and this setup occasionally rubs in a turn.
And 18x9.5 ET22 with 245/40 setup is even more aggressive, so rubbing issue will be even MORE pronounced.

This is no attack on anyone, I'm just here to give full picture, because so many times I have encountered situation, when definition of "a little" or "a lot" varies greatly from person to person, and then by following someones recommendations, I have found to my disappointment that their issues has been greatly under or overstated from my point of which has resulted in me not getting exactly what I've wanted, therefore later I would have to redo it (read: spend more money).
So a safe bet(probably excessively safe) for anyone who is looking to run most aggressive setup without modding or rubbing on fenders, is to keep rim width under 8.5inches, offset at least 35mm and tire width around 235, with condition that you aim to keep total circumference of the wheel close to OEM. (2125mm; diameter 676mm).
If you are ok with running overall smaller WHEEL (not rim) and reducing the height sidewall even further together with ride comfort, then you can get more creative with sizing.

Note: On our cars keeping overall size of the wheel, but going from to 16" rim to 19" rim reduces sidewall by almost 4.5cm (1.77inches).

So that's that. I hope that this will help anybody out there, stuck on decision about rims.
Old 05-06-19, 10:53 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 328 Posts

Few things I'd like to add Kaspars

I added a 2nd set of rims, so that I have a winter set of rims on the stock 16's. I then added a set of 18'' 245\45 GS350\430 rims.

I have 19x8.5 ET30 (ET35 + only 5mm spacer because i did some clearancing on caliper with grinder) with 225/40 in the front and this setup occasionally rubs in a turn. And 18x9.5 ET22 with 245/40 setup is even more aggressive, so rubbing issue will be even MORE pronounced.

Are you lowered? Because if the tire is the same OD then even a slightly wider rim shouldn't make it rub right out of the gate. I've never rubbed on my setup. If you are lowered, yeah that makes sense.

If you are ok with running overall smaller WHEEL (not rim) and reducing the height sidewall even further together with ride comfort, then you can get more creative with sizing.

Note: On our cars keeping overall size of the wheel, but going from to 16" rim to 19" rim reduces sidewall by almost 4.5cm (1.77inches).

Yeah there is a notable difference in ride quality between my two rims. Not awful, not deal-killing, but the car does handle tighter and loses a little bit of that final "plush". I think once you get onto the spring the car rides the same, but the bigger wheels I think mostly effect small micro bumps and imperfections making them a little more noticeable. Plus, and I didn't expect this, but I think the 245 profile tire tramlines the grooves in the road a little bit more than the stock 225.
Old 05-06-19, 01:49 PM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Yes thank you for pointing out the about lowering the car. I totally forgot to mention that in my previous post!

Indeed my car is lowered, but by judging from the pictures it about same ride height as realVIP car.
I have luxury of having OEM air suspension with datasystems controller, which allows me to test out many different ride height. Hower my car is permanently lowered by 1-1.5cm front and back with shortening height sensors + i have a spacer 20mm spacer in front (just like SS kit), so total lowering is around ~3.5cm front and ~1.5cm in the back. At that height there is basically no rubbing except maybe sometime when you take parking lot ramps at odd angles. However car looks better if I use controller and a lower it a bit lower -> ~5cm total in front and ~3cm total in rear and at that height, I have experienced rubbing but rarely, for example when doing turn on bumpy intersections etc.
If you go any lower you will experience rubbing exponentially more, for example at ~6.5cm and ~4.5cm (if you look straight from side there is almost no gap between tire and fender at this height) , wheel will rub on any turn unless road surface is mirror finish smooth.

And from my recent measurements if I wouldn't have to run 5mm spacers to clear brakes(225/40 19x8.5 ET35 rather than ET30) , I could put 235/40 in front and experience basically no rubbing at -5cm in front or I could leave 225/40 on and go to -6.5cm in front without experiencing rubbing or very rarely. So that's why I searching for 19x8.5 LM replicas with ET 40, so I could run a spacer for brakes.

Anyway below is picture with my setup slammed almost as low as it will go.
FRONT: BBS LM replica 19x8.5 ET35 with 5mm spacer, tire 225/40
REAR: BBS LM replica19x8.5 ET35 no spacer yet, tire 255/35

(Picture is mirrored)

The following users liked this post:
Heretic (09-22-21)

Quick Reply: LS400 owners post your wheel setup