LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 owners post your wheel setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 12:31 PM
OriTantrix
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will it fit?

Saw these Work Wheels on Auction.

Front
19x9 31 offset R Disk

Rear
19x10 36 offset W Disk (Super Low for SSR)

will they fit and if yes, what do I need to roll?
running stock Celsior air suspension with controller
Old 03-13-23, 01:59 PM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by OriTantrix
Saw these Work Wheels on Auction.

Front
19x9 31 offset R Disk

Rear
19x10 36 offset W Disk (Super Low for SSR)

will they fit and if yes, what do I need to roll?
running stock Celsior air suspension with controller
hi there, those sizes are relatively ok and not overly aggressive, and the R disk will clear the front brake calipers just fine. fitment depends on tire size and ride height as well. generally those should fit fine with minimal fender cutting (we don't recommend rolling on the LS bc the metal is very thick in the rear).

here is my setup: 19x10 +25 19x11 +30
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
compare your with mine using the calculator; your specs are 19mm less than mine = 19mm inward to the car.

my setup is all cut fenders only, no pulling (aired all the way down )!

The following users liked this post:
GenkiLexus (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23, 02:02 PM
OriTantrix
2nd gear

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
hi there, those sizes are relatively ok and not overly aggressive, and the R disk will clear the front brake calipers just fine. fitment depends on tire size and ride height as well. generally those should fit fine with minimal fender cutting (we don't recommend rolling on the LS bc the metal is very thick in the rear).

here is my setup: 19x10 +25 19x11 +30
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
compare your with mine using the calculator; your specs are 19mm less than mine = 19mm inward to the car.

my setup is all cut fenders only, no pulling (aired all the way down )!

Thinking about 215/35 in the front and 235/35 in the rear for minimal stretch. That should probably fit just right, no?

ah it’s worth to mention that it’s a 1998. There should be any differences except the front break caliber , right?

Anyways, helped me a lot here. Thanks.

Last edited by OriTantrix; 03-13-23 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-13-23, 02:25 PM
timmy0tool

95-00 have all the same front brakes!
yes those tire sizes will work fine but will likely result in a stretch. i ran 245/275 with my 10/11 widths!

here are 225/235 on a 9/10 on my SSR Viennas (different offsets however)!

GenkiLexus (03-13-23)
Old 03-31-23, 08:02 AM
Sntri
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will it fit?

Hi!

Does anyone have experience with this rim size? How difficult would it be to fit them in a Lexus lS400 1997, stock air suspension with DataSystem controller

Front: 18x10, offset -17
Rear: 18x11, offset -4

Absolute love these wheels

Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited by Sntri; 03-31-23 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-31-23, 11:31 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 328 Posts

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Whee...et-Calculator#

16x7 +45. --> 18x10 -17 = +24mm inner clearance. Looks like you'll have an additional 24mm of clearance over stock. Should be fine when clearing the brakes.

Outer clearance will be the problem. That's an additional 4 inches.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 03-31-23 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-31-23, 02:32 PM
timmy0tool

also those wheels are unlikely to clear the big brakes, so spacing them out will cause more issues too!
Old 03-31-23, 04:11 PM
400fanboy
Racer

also those wheels are unlikely to clear the big brakes, so spacing them out will cause more issues too!
Really? I thought the +24 inner clearance would be enough for the brakes. I know it varies between spoke designs, since the measurement is made from the inner face, but is it really that dramatic?
Old 04-03-23, 02:12 PM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Really? I thought the +24 inner clearance would be enough for the brakes. I know it varies between spoke designs, since the measurement is made from the inner face, but is it really that dramatic?
you are right in that *inner* spoke design is also just as important. offset is only part of the equation. yes the brakes are that dramatic.

check it out for yourself how close the caliper is to the rotor pad where the wheel mounts to (hard to tell with OEM wheels however).

this one passed the paper test so this is my definition of *barely* clears!
Old 04-03-23, 04:28 PM
400fanboy
Racer

you are right in that *inner* spoke design is also just as important. offset is only part of the equation. yes the brakes are that dramatic.

check it out for yourself how close the caliper is to the rotor pad where the wheel mounts to (hard to tell with OEM wheels however).

this one passed the paper test so this is my definition of *barely* clears!
So basically, with the brakes, the offset is only half of the story. Bigger offsets may help, but the spoke design is still the final decider and cannot be predicted until you mount them on the car on whether they will clear the caliper? I knew it mattered, but didn't think it would matter enough for +24mm. TIL. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-05-23, 01:21 PM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
So basically, with the brakes, the offset is only half of the story. Bigger offsets may help, but the spoke design is still the final decider and cannot be predicted until you mount them on the car on whether they will clear the caliper? I knew it mattered, but didn't think it would matter enough for +24mm. TIL. Thanks for the info!
yes sir correct. offset is only the pad (where the wheel contacts the rotor) position relative to the center line of the wheel. the brakes are outside of this measurement thus the spoke design matters for clearance.

established wheel companies know this and take it into account, indicating "hi disk" versus "low disk". offset does not matter.
below shows the same size and offset wheel but different pads to maximize the lip and/or clear brake calipers.

400fanboy (04-06-23)
Old 04-09-23, 01:40 AM
970Menace
3rd Gear

Default New Car Enthusiast

Hi I’m new to the car scene, or at least the JDM scene indefinitely. I recently purchased a ‘97 LS400 with 72k on the odometer, insanely clean maroon paint job with beige interior without NAV with the water pump and timing already done. I am absolutely in love with it, but I was trying to get into modding it as it’s stock rims kind of offend my eyes.

A few questions for some of you with established builds already or some critique for me:

What is a good wheel/tire setup for absolutely NO rubbing? I am not super picky, but what in your own opinions are good specs to run? I like wheels with lips, I like staggered setups.
I’m trying to get as low as I can without necessarily tucking my harness or rolling my fenders. I plan on getting a set of Megan coilovers, how low can I go before I run into issues with aforementioned topics?

What offset will FOR SURE clear my bbk on the UCF20?

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked hundreds of times in this thread, I’ve read the vast majority of the posts but I thought a more specific answer would help me form more of a plan.
Old 04-11-23, 12:57 AM
970Menace
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 970Menace
Hi I’m new to the car scene, or at least the JDM scene indefinitely. I recently purchased a ‘97 LS400 with 72k on the odometer, insanely clean maroon paint job with beige interior without NAV with the water pump and timing already done. I am absolutely in love with it, but I was trying to get into modding it as it’s stock rims kind of offend my eyes.

A few questions for some of you with established builds already or some critique for me:

What is a good wheel/tire setup for absolutely NO rubbing? I am not super picky, but what in your own opinions are good specs to run? I like wheels with lips, I like staggered setups.
I’m trying to get as low as I can without necessarily tucking my harness or rolling my fenders. I plan on getting a set of Megan coilovers, how low can I go before I run into issues with aforementioned topics?

What offset will FOR SURE clear my bbk on the UCF20?

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked hundreds of times in this thread, I’ve read the vast majority of the posts but I thought a more specific answer would help me form more of a plan.
Typo, my Lexus is a 98’, went back to check the thread and realized you’re all facepalming at me. On a side note, would some Rotiform RSE’s 19x8.5 +35 Fit alright? There’s a local set here for cheap and I dig the look and know rotiform is a reputable brand; would they suit the car?
Old 04-13-23, 10:38 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by 970Menace
On a side note, would some Rotiform RSE’s 19x8.5 +35 Fit alright? There’s a local set here for cheap and I dig the look and know rotiform is a reputable brand; would they suit the car?
welcome! what piece of info i tell new folks looking to install wheels (for any car really) is that wheel sizing and offset is only part of the equation. there are 3 pieces of information to consider to make things work to your preference: 1. wheel size and offset 2. how low will you go? 3. tire size

1. wheel size and offset vary by style, general availability, and how deep your pockets are. the rotiforms you show should fit but i cannot tell you if the spokes will clear the front brake calipers with certainty (2nd gen LS400s have big brakes). offset will not tell you if your brakes will clear.
2. with megan coilovers, you have the ability to go as low or SLAMMED as you want - even w/o needing to do some fender modding or harness tucking (which is really not necessary unless you don't like your undercarriage) the upper arms will hit the chassis first before the harness would be affected.
3. tire size determines clearance to the fenders just as much as ride height - some like it stretched, some need it stretched to clear, some like it square PLUS add the fact that not all tire sizes are made equal. case in point a michelin 225/40/19 will have a different sidewall size than say a pirelli of the same size. it's just a variation between manufactures.

long winded post but consider all things before just looking at 1 piece of the puzzle.
Old 04-14-23, 12:08 AM
970Menace
3rd Gear

welcome! what piece of info i tell new folks looking to install wheels (for any car really) is that wheel sizing and offset is only part of the equation. there are 3 pieces of information to consider to make things work to your preference: 1. wheel size and offset 2. how low will you go? 3. tire size

1. wheel size and offset vary by style, general availability, and how deep your pockets are. the rotiforms you show should fit but i cannot tell you if the spokes will clear the front brake calipers with certainty (2nd gen LS400s have big brakes). offset will not tell you if your brakes will clear.
2. with megan coilovers, you have the ability to go as low or SLAMMED as you want - even w/o needing to do some fender modding or harness tucking (which is really not necessary unless you don't like your undercarriage) the upper arms will hit the chassis first before the harness would be affected.
3. tire size determines clearance to the fenders just as much as ride height - some like it stretched, some need it stretched to clear, some like it square PLUS add the fact that not all tire sizes are made equal. case in point a michelin 225/40/19 will have a different sidewall size than say a pirelli of the same size. it's just a variation between manufactures.

long winded post but consider all things before just looking at 1 piece of the puzzle.
Immensely helpful reply! Thank you for helping me sort through the confusing fitment that is the LS400.

a few more stupid questions if you’re feeling up to explaining any more.

low disk vs high disk? I’ve seen it discussed a little but I’m not sure I’m familiar to the concept, is it the concavity of the spokes in question that is so particular when it comes to the front caliper? Which is better suited to fitting?

when purchasing my Megan coilovers, would I also need traction rods or different control arms? I’m trying to drop it decently low but the roads local to me aren’t super forgiving when it comes to lower vehicles, so probably 2-3” or however much it takes to close my wheel gap to nearly flush. Are the any real issues I should anticipate working around when installing said suspension?

My final question being: when shopping for rims, you stated it was a 3 piece (see what I did there?) equation, how do I determine whether or not they have that “low” or “high” disk?

thanks again and sorry if these topics have been covered

Quick Reply: LS400 owners post your wheel setup