LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

white smoke!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 06:40 PM
W92ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke!!!

Hello guys, my car give out alot of white smoke in the morning during warm up time. Can someone show me a quick tip to solve this problem? I got a day off tomorrow..want to get it done..thanks
Old 02-18-07, 06:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no .
Old 02-18-07, 07:20 PM
W92ls400
Driver School Candidate

no=NO, or no=no other way or no=no solution???:-)
I found a link in here that might be the case for my car...I think the power steering fluid leak into the exhaus system to give out the white smoke...how/where do I remove the hose that lead to control valve? thanks
Old 02-18-07, 07:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no as in No, im NOT going to help you since uve been here for <2 weeks and arent using the SEARCH function or reading the stickies.
Old 02-18-07, 07:34 PM
W92ls400
Driver School Candidate

well..I saw the stickies link for it "power steering"..So I just did the Power steering flush couple days ago..(thank CL)..but got stuck with the white smoke situation...still looking for the guide/instruction for it..but thank for your input anyway "puredriter"!!!
Old 02-18-07, 07:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I found this information and posted it on a prior thread a few months ago.... may be useful. Try searching for 'white smoke' across all models if you find nothing here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly what color is the smoke? Here's a good diagnostic FAQ I found with a quick google search...

From http://www.salemboysauto.com/faqs/faq-38.htm:

Black, blue, white or grey smoke from the tailpipe!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black smoke is raw gasoline burning. A rich condition can be the cause by a heavy or mis adjusted float, a choke stuck shut, a bad oxygen sensor, a bad map sensor, a bad fuel pressure regulator, a plugged up air filter or a bad injector. Typically, if you only get black smoke first thing in the morning, it has to do with the choke or the fuel enrichment portion of your fuel injection system. If you get black smoke all the time, get it fixed NOW. If you don’t, you run the risk of wiping out the catalytic convertor and doubling your repair bill.

Blue smoke is oil burning. The tailpipe will either smoke all the time or just once, first thing in the morning. If you get blue smoke all the time, that is a sign of impeding doom. That is the first sign of the beginning of the end. Broken rings, bad pistons, damaged cylinder walls, all high dollar items.

On the other hand, if all you get is a puff or two first thing in the morning and never again throughout the day, then your problem is probably bad value guides or value guide seals. It will cost between $350-800 to replace the seals, $750-1,500 to replace the guides and seals. I always tell my customers, wait until you begin to see other symptoms of this oil usage. Wait until you start fouling plugs, wait until the oil consumption is greater than one quart every 1,000 miles. And never assume that seals alone will totally fix this problem, if the engine has 100k miles plus.

Grey smoke can really be black or blue. You can usually tell which is it by the smell or by matching other symptoms you have to the color of the smoke is easier. Others will say blue is blue and all other is really grey to black and I would agree.

White smoke is either the transmission shift modulator is bad and allowing the engine to suck and burn transmission fluid (repair costs under $100) or it’s really, really bad. White smoke could also be coolant or antifreeze that is either leaking, or being forced into the combustion chambers and being burned. The exhaust will look wet and have a sweet smell to it. A bad head gasket (75% of the time), a broken head (15% of the time) or a broken cylinder wall (10% of the time) will be the reason your engine is burning coolant or antifreeze. The repairs start at $400 and go to $4,000.
Old 02-18-07, 07:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I also used the advanced search to look in the ls400 forum for 'white smoke' and there are a ton of threads. Please try it in the future - instant answers, no waiting.

Short answer... if it's a bit of white smoke only at startup and it's cold where you live, it's normal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=white+smoke
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=white+smoke

among many others
Old 02-18-07, 07:50 PM
W92ls400
Driver School Candidate

thanks Dave!!!
Old 02-19-07, 03:37 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

White smoke only when the ambient temp outdoors is low and when the engine is cold is most likely merely the condensation in the exhaust system burning off. Totally normal.

JimA
Old 03-31-07, 01:16 AM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same problem, but i checked the 2 holes that come off that valve from the power steering to the manifold and no trace of power steering fluid, p/s fluid is full, and my coolant level has stayed the same (not gone down). tonight i ran out to get a movie and when i got home i noticed that there was still a small bit of white smoke coming from my exhaust. went under the hood and checked the fluid levels, good. gased it and a big trail of white smoke and a water trail right under both exhaust tips.

the weather is a bit cold at night but i figured after driving a while all the moisture in the exhaust system would have burned off but... i dont know ill keep a close eye on things. i just hope this engine can hold up until i can swap a 2jz...