LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 05:32 AM
maxgee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut replacement

I want to replace the front shocks...dealer wants $122 each.
Any other place I can replacement struts with the same quality as OEM ride?
Old 02-21-07, 07:28 AM
1996LS400
Driver

I would try lexuspartsonline.com. They will have OEM at some of the best prices.
Old 02-21-07, 08:26 AM
glenmore
Driver School Candidate

I just did all 4 struts this past weekend on my 1990 @152m. I would suggest sticking with OEM if your car is a keeper. I went the value route with the KYB GR2s which are much cheaper. Ebay sellers have the GR2s routinely for $210-$250 for all four. KYB makes both the OEM and the GR2s, but the OEM are valved to be a softer ride. Also the lower bushing looks beefier on the OEM versus the GR2. You'll need other costly parts also. On Gen 1 cars, you'll need shock mounts ($100 dealer, $50 ebay) and spring insulator/boots ($30 each, dealer only).

glenmore
1990 LS400
Old 02-21-07, 06:35 PM
maxgee
Driver

I don't think I would mind the stiffer ride...but can't find the gr2 for the pricing you mentioned...-glenmore-
i will keep searching ebay and other avenues. thanks
Old 02-21-07, 07:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i found a set close, like 65/strut
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-21-07, 10:40 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maxgee
I want to replace the front shocks...dealer wants $122 each.
Any other place I can replacement struts with the same quality as OEM ride?
anyone can replace parts...as far as quality wise...aftermarket is not always better... in the automotive industry

u pay for what u get
Old 02-21-07, 10:47 PM
glenmore
Driver School Candidate

Search all ebay not just on the auto side. Search "Lexus ls400 kyb strut" and you'll find a few sellers. If you are in a hurry, you may pay a little more, but most sellers have several sets.

I've driven on the GR2s for a few days now and although the only other experience of driving the car was with OEM shocks that were pretty much gone, i.e. a very soft pillowy ride, I have to agree with others that the ride is pretty firm. I do have 17" wheels though and this probably adds to the firmness but this was not too noticeable with the worn shocks. Hope they settle down some. The ride on smooth pavement is very nice though. Much steadier on turns and no more brake dip and acceleration squat.

glenmore
1990 LS400
Old 02-22-07, 07:41 PM
maxgee
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

that is for 90 thru 94
mine is a 95
Old 02-22-07, 09:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

its ebay, you can search
http://cgi.ebay.com/KYB-GR-2-GR2-SHO...QQcmdZViewItem

like $15 more total...(i think, kinda asleeep+sick rigth now)
Old 02-26-07, 09:15 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Spend the cash for Bilstein, I did.
Old 08-08-07, 08:45 AM
Lexushead
Driver

I just wanted to report my strut replacement experience. OMG. I don't want to do it again. Nothing would take the bottom nuts off of the strut except fire. I lube the nuts and bolts daily for 2 weeks while impact wrenching it (735 ft/lb reverse). Nothing. The nuts are almost rounded. I had to torch the shtt out of it. I hope I didn't ruin the upper control arm ball joints.
Rust from MN road done this. All the suspension links are rusted tight. Damn. I also ruin my rear swaybar link. More money. I think I'm going to drive until all the control arms or whatever they're called falls off....
Old 08-08-07, 01:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Lexushead
I just wanted to report my strut replacement experience. OMG. I don't want to do it again. Nothing would take the bottom nuts off of the strut except fire. I lube the nuts and bolts daily for 2 weeks while impact wrenching it (735 ft/lb reverse). Nothing. The nuts are almost rounded. I had to torch the shtt out of it. I hope I didn't ruin the upper control arm ball joints.
Rust from MN road done this. All the suspension links are rusted tight. Damn. I also ruin my rear swaybar link. More money. I think I'm going to drive until all the control arms or whatever they're called falls off....
i didnt disconnect the sway bar links at all

i used my electric impact wrench and a 3ft breaker bar the only nuts i had issues with were the castle nuts that held the front upper balljoint together had to order new ones of those >.>

didnt have to take much off at all in the rear, driveshaft, or even the balljoints
Old 08-09-07, 05:57 AM
Lexushead
Driver

Well, the boots on the sway bar links are torn to begin with and gotten worse by the bolt I hammered from the front side. I'm hoping that I can find a universal boots to fit. I didn't take anything else off just pure sweat and muscle to lift the strut, suspension, moving them both around to get it out and back in. I was sweating like a hog in an 80% humidity. Lots of racheting to compress the spring, both manually and compress air. Had to redo the spring a few times because the 3 bolts at the top that mount to the body didn't lineup. I didn't think a head.
Now I got both struts in the rear in. I had to replace one rounded off nut. The other one and the bolts seem to be ok so I reuse them. Should be good for another 50k miles if the car and the KYB last that long.
The front is next, after I get the sway bar link fix.
Old 08-09-07, 08:32 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lexus u replaced them by urself? i tried to replace them but it was just impossible, u have to drop the axle connections to lower it so you can take the strut out. how'd u do it?
Old 08-09-07, 10:41 AM
Lexushead
Driver

This is rear struts.
I didn't take anything off beside the strut. Sway bar link is more of an accidental case. I compressed the spring, removed the strut nut and bolt(yikes), removed the 3 strut mount bolts. When it all comes loose, wiggle the bottom portion of the strut to either side of the drive shaft (back side is easier on driver side), and more wiggling until it slide down and the top spring hit you in the forehead. Lots of grunt, swear, and sweat.
Putting new struts in is much easier. Do the reverse. Get on your knees, one hand holding and pushing up the strut-compressed-spring assembly while the other hand moving the axle up and down. Make sure the 3 strut mount bolts are align fairly close to the holes before compressing the spring. I hope that help

Quick Reply: Strut replacement