LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tein Coils for LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07 | 10:43 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

SK,

Thanks for the breakdown, it was very insightful.

Additionallly, I want to have the range of close to stock, but can lower it so the tires are in the wheel wells...will I have this option with the Teins?

Also, to install I need to remove the rear seat, and to adjust dampening its also the rear seat right?

How do I change the height of these and how easy is it? Is it from the bottom?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-02-07 | 11:05 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You have the height adjustment to make it low. not as much as the JIC's but a few inches down will still give it a nice tuck. I am not sure where the dampening adjustment is for the teins it may use a EDFC so for 200 more you can control it from the drivers seat with no problems.
Changing the height takes about 10 minutes a corner depending on how much adjustment you are doing. Just jacking up the corner and turning the wrenches on the collars will move it usually without removing the wheel.
Old 05-02-07 | 12:14 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

How much can JIC and Wald Coilovers drop a 1LS in terms of max range from stock height? Always been curious about that, number-wise.
Old 05-02-07 | 01:25 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Well since the JIC coils are made for both the ucf10 and 20 it has a very short front strut. The rear have about 5 inches of thread total and my whole car is down 3 inches. On the rear i have another 3 or so inches of thread to go down and the front is at max height with about 5 inches of thread to go down.
Old 05-02-07 | 03:51 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I purchased the Tein CS Coilovers for a 99 LS last week. I'll know how it is in 2-3 months.
Old 05-02-07 | 05:34 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

SK can you PM me with what you mean exactly with the JIC range of height?

As in like it can drop a max of 5"...etc. I would greatly appreciate it, if you could accompany that with side pics that would be amazing.
Old 05-02-07 | 09:06 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

The rears have about 8 total inches of threads and it is only 3 inches from the top leaving another 5 inches to go down.
The fronts have a total of 5 inches of thread and i am at the highest possible thread setting.
Old 05-02-07 | 09:11 PM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

Do you have the VIP spec for heavier vehicles or the sport-track one?
Old 05-02-07 | 09:15 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
I purchased the Tein CS Coilovers for a 99 LS last week. I'll know how it is in 2-3 months.
Hesus! 2-3 months? Did you order from Carson?

Does anyone know the true height range of the Teins?

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Jasbmo; 05-02-07 at 11:48 PM. Reason: I was eating peanut butter with a pitch fork.
Old 05-02-07 | 10:07 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jasbmo
Hesus! 2-3 months? Did you order from Carson?

Does anyone know the range of the Teins?

Thanks!!!!
Yea, I just ordered it from them last week.
Old 05-02-07 | 11:22 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

SK,

I don't disagree with Tein's being better. Which begs the question as to why YOU don't have them? I heard the JIC's aren't nearly a smooth as the CS's.

BTW, thanks for the condescending lecture on the cost of Lexus ownership. (booo....)

Sorry for being off topic...back to you lucky ducks that are getting the CS!
Old 05-03-07 | 12:08 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

I believe SK meant the Teins are better (not just because they are $1200 + sales tax in CA), but because of the range of height adjustability (which I'm still trying to figure out) and the dampening options. Plus they may ride better. I don't know. I've only been in bimmers with coilovers.
Old 05-03-07 | 12:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by jermdogg
SK,

I don't disagree with Tein's being better. Which begs the question as to why YOU don't have them? I heard the JIC's aren't nearly a smooth as the CS's.

BTW, thanks for the condescending lecture on the cost of Lexus ownership. (booo....)

Sorry for being off topic...back to you lucky ducks that are getting the CS!
u need to calm down, go back, and reread what my man SK is sayin.

he said the Tein CS is a better choice than your spring/shock setup. not his JICs. iirc, SK (im using his sn since im not sure if he wants his name out in public ) used to have a set of tein CS but not entirely 100% on that.

and he makes a valid point that isnt very condescending, just truthful. parts for the LS400 are inherently expensive so taking the cheap (wait for it...) way out isnt exactly ideal.

this does NOT mean that by getting a shock/spring combo ur cheaping out, hell i have a shock/spring combo on my own car. what is cheaping out is buying something (or planning to) for 1/2 the cost of a superior product and saying that your "thing" can do it just as well with minute differences.

i clearly accept that my setup isnt as stiff/adjustable as coilovers, but im perfectly happy with that, and they do what i want them to do. frankly, coilovers for me at this time are just a waste since i dont have a kit (so no need to constantly adjust ride height/damping). i got the best bang for the buck .

personally, if i could afford it id go JIC myself, only thing i like about the Tein is the EDFC, but its moot since il prolly just skip coilovers and go air if i ever upgrade from my lovely lil' LSportline combo
Old 05-03-07 | 12:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Jasbmo
I believe SK meant the Teins are better (not just because they are $1200 + sales tax in CA), but because of the range of height adjustability (which I'm still trying to figure out) and the dampening options. Plus they may ride better. I don't know. I've only been in bimmers with coilovers.
trust me, if two cars were lowered to the same height, one with shocks/springs and one with coilovers, you could tell which was which
Old 05-03-07 | 03:19 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by CelsiorAUS
tada theres heaps mroe which can be dropped
This car looks *really* nice.

Quick Reply: Tein Coils for LS