LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this a Good Deal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07 | 01:25 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

The UCF21 gets better MPG? Really, I didn't know that!! How much better?
not a big difference, maybe 1-3 mpg, especially noticed when on cruise control. But it's nice considering the hp/tq gain.
Old 03-01-07 | 02:24 PM
DCLexus
Rookie

Are there any simple changes that can be made to the 95-97 models to catch up with the 98-00 for hp and tq?
Old 03-01-07 | 03:02 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

^^ not rly, since 98+ has vvt-i
Old 03-01-07 | 06:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Thermactor
The 1998-2000 LS400s have more gadgets to go bad. Air suspension on some, VVTi, navigation, HIDs, and the list goes on - nice when they work, but will be expensive to fix
there are rarely ever issues with the A/S(very very rare option), navi, cd changer, trans, or any other accessories on the 98+.

and most chassis parts are the same cost as those from the 95-97.

the motor/trans is even MORE bulletproof on the UCF21 than the UCF20.

this is all coming from a guy who had a '95 with full service history. i had PS and bushing issues on my old car.
Old 03-01-07 | 07:41 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Just thought I'd chime in!

I'm new here.... first post!

I just purchased a '96 LS400 for $9,000 even. It's the silver two-tone with factory chrome wheels. I've never seen an 11 year old car look as new and completely perfect as this. I'm still in a daze... it's ridiculous!

It has 130k miles on it and has had ALL the service done for it at the dealer its entire "life". The last owner spent about $2300 at the 90k and got the car tune-ups and extra stuff done to it even when it didn't need it.

I got really lucky!

The cool thing about Lexus is that all the dealers are "online", as they say. You can call any Lexus dealer service dept, give them your VIN and they'll tell you what's been done to it (AT THE DEALER) for the entire life of the car. Amazing! (you probably all know that here so I'm preachin to the choir).

I hear no other manufacturer has this. Very nice.

Anyway, I love the car. I went out and started it and just sat in it and stared at it today. It snowed last night so I had to take my Pathfinder to work.... lame.

Nice site with great info!
Old 03-02-07 | 07:06 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Damn, I love the silver two tone LS....got any pictures?
Old 03-02-07 | 07:36 AM
GS4K
Driver

Blavatsky, I just checked the Tech Specs for both the UCF20 & 21, it shows that the 20 gets better gas mileage in the city and the same on the highway. Of course this is the public information used by all the internet sites and Car Mags. Maybe real life numbers are different? Where did you get your information, that the 21 get about 1-3 MPG more?

PureDrifter, I send you PM. Really interested in the IPOD Aux. I had the DensionUSA IPOD Integration on my 2000 BMW 740IL, I loved it!!
Old 03-02-07 | 10:09 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
steveski, I had a '95 and loved it... had 132k when I bought it and put almost 15k on it. I always wanted a '00 because of the updates and found a one owner, fully reconditioned gem from a dealer w/ 43k with full maintenance records for 21k. Cheap? Not really. I also purchased a Lexus platinum warranty (4 yr/50k) for another 2k. Cheap? Not really but I was out the door for less than 25k...about the price of a new civic. Expensive by some standards, but the car is in PERFECT mechanical and cosmetic condition. It'll last me 10 years w/ no problem. In the end, IMHO, a very good bargain!
I am with you brother. I have owned my 95 since 96 and love the car but there is a night and day difference between mine and yours as Grand said. I will likely buy one and swap all my parts just to get all the improvements. When I drove one three years ago I couldn't believe the difference.
Old 03-02-07 | 10:15 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Blavatsky, I just checked the Tech Specs for both the UCF20 & 21, it shows that the 20 gets better gas mileage in the city and the same on the highway. Of course this is the public information used by all the internet sites and Car Mags. Maybe real life numbers are different? Where did you get your information, that the 21 get about 1-3 MPG more?
its funny, I could not find the #'s I thought i saw....I believe where I read this was mostly on reviews for the car (epinions/autos.msn.com), where users reported upwards of 27mpg on cruise mode, even 30. Like I said, the difference is minimal, but it makes sense that the extra gear in the tranny and VVTi would be more gas friendly.

For some reason I though it was like UCF20 = 18/25, UCF21 = 19/27, but I guess I imagined that
I'm lucky to get 15mpg because of my lead foot and all-city driving.
Old 03-02-07 | 12:15 PM
GS4K
Driver

Yeah, I'll be very happy to get 19-21 mpg, city driving. I used to get 16 mpg with my '03 M45. Just got rid of it yesterday. Probably asking why I got rid of my Infiniti for this lexus?? I needed to free up some $$$. Love the way the LS drive, very smooth. A lot different than my M45, which is strictly Performance, 340 HP/333 TQ. I'm glad I made the change.
Old 03-03-07 | 12:23 AM
Heepspo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
Damn, I love the silver two tone LS....got any pictures?
I'll get some soon. Waiting for the weather to take a break.
Old 03-03-07 | 03:41 AM
Luthor
Driver School Candidate

I know have a 95. Puredrifter says I got taken for a "stripper". My fault I guess it might have been the way I posted. Dude I know what I have had and just bought. I have gone from a ufc 10 to a ufc20. With the 10 it was loaded. Everything but the phone including a/s single owner from Nappa Idaho that was a pilot. 147000 I paid nine thousand 4 years ago. A premium yes, but I have put 115,000 miles on it.
The 95 has 78000 miles on it with Sunroof, memory seats, disc changer,gold package and it is the black on black. Puredrifter called me out that I need the 90,000 service. I have put two timing belts on the ufc 10 as well as other maintenance that was needed, I have a tech work on it out of his garage. I know how much things have been on the 92 and just becouse I posted what I didn't have on the ufc 20 dosn't mean its a stripper. Yea I would love to have a 98 but my budget didn't really allow it, especially when I haven't settled on the 92 that my insurance company is trying to doc me for my 263000 miles. They say it should have 148000 which is what was on it 4 years ago. Not in a hurry, I hold the title and I have nothing but time.
I didn't think that I needed to petty and speak in the ufc 10 and 20 lingo to get some love in the forum, I am dealing with the loss of my beloved 92 first gen series one ufc10, in additon to my Grandma right know, and instead of woa sorry to hear that, I am being told I got taken on a Second generation series 1 ufc20. Oh and I hope you all are enjoying your "stock" chrome wheels. My tech calls them "California Chrome" becouse the stock alloy wheel is sent out to a company in California. They chrome it up and send it back. The sucker at the dealership pays $2000 or what ever they are charging and 10 years later they are starting to peel. I looked at a 95 with the California Chrome, it was loaded except for the air suspension, and its Chrome wheels are starting to peel on the inside. They wanted 8995 and it had 150000 miles. I passed and took the black/black with not as many goodies but half the miles.
Can you please give me some love and tell me what you guys think, is puredrifter right?
Old 03-03-07 | 06:45 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

uh I didn't follow all that....are you saying people say you paid too much for your 95?

I like the UCF10,20, and 21, I don't really think anyone is bashing any of them, just discussing for the cost what you get at each upgrade (generation).

So i'll give you some love for your 95 blk/blk , good job What did you give for it? what options does it lack that make it a "stripper", or does that mean something else?
Old 03-03-07 | 07:02 AM
adorjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Love and a Stripper; all in for a Lexus.

Got a great laugh on your post. Hey, as long as Luthor likes the car, and is willing to pay for it, enjoy the ride. I'll have to admit that the 95 LS 400 for $11k with 78K miles,now with 79k miles could have been much sweeter with a lower price.

Been dreaming about an ES, then an LS and now GS, but have to wait until I have the bucks to buy.
Old 03-03-07 | 10:54 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

post up some pictures bro!

Quick Reply: Is this a Good Deal???