LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is anyone dumb enough to pay dealer prices for parts and service on their Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07 | 04:34 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Originally Posted by RLB
i understand what i said was brash and would offend some ppl but i want to educate ppl that you need to at least do the research
Educate? Calling people lazy and ignorant isn't how you "educate" them.
You don't have to lie. You were on your "perch" and thought you'd be a dik... just admit it.
Old 03-15-07 | 04:37 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Still going off topic - yes, congrats on your exam bro - they are not easy to pass.

On topic, anybody going to a dealer to get their car serviced can hardly be categorized as stupid, etc. Let's face it, at least the mechanics there are familiar with our cars as someone else said. I have a Lexus mechanic who opened his own shop a few years ago and I use him often for bigger jobs than I cannot or will not handle on my own.

One of my retired friends came over the other night and said "I got a new headlight installed at the dealer and it cost me $175". Now I didn't laugh at him and call him stupid. He is just not the guy to do that sort of thing on his own. Truthfully his HID bulb could be bought for less than $60 but that's his deal.
Old 03-15-07 | 05:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Please knock off the name calling and keep this thread on the topic at hand, not on the persons posting in the thread.

There is no reason to insult anyone regardless of the parts and service choices he/she may make.
Old 03-15-07 | 09:58 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Best thing is to use the forum as a tool that it was designed for. Figure out a price and work form there.

Getting brakes done at the dealer is not needed but major service is a sure bet in reducing issues. Having a previous tech with years of experience is great only if they can back it up with issues that may surface .

Paying $1000 for a timing belt water pump idlers tensioner ,thermostat all changed and 2 days with a ES350 is a no brainer for me. I don't throw money at anything but i perceive my car as an investment so i won't trust anyone else but me under the hood.
Old 03-16-07 | 04:20 PM
MCHolyG
Driver School Candidate

ok i got a question for yas:

i used to be a parts guy at a dealer. i've always had a tech hookup, someone i trusted and got a good price too.

now i live in atlanta. i don't know who to take it to, cuz it seems there's no one you can trust OR get a good price from. i've changed brake parts, oil/filter, ignition parts, and taken it to pep boys for an alternator (x2) and a fan mount bearing (?). i bought it with 159k on it, now it's got 234k.

Here's my question: its got front end bobble sounds (balljoint?) i've had to use oil and power steering stop leaks with some success (must keep climate on recirc. to avoid burning oil smell from stinking me out at stop lites)i think the rack is leaking, and probably the v/c gaskets, possibly more;
the a/c is broke (blinking a/c lite, compressor won't stay engaged, but functions if you repeatedly turn the system on/off yourself) Now i've got a short occuring when i tap the brakes, the lites dim on occasion. a couple times when parking and shutting off, the car went dead as i turned the ignition key. so now i have an electrical problem.

should i keep the car and fix what's wrong, or sell it now. everything else on the car is fine. it needs tires and a stereo too. it only has stock FM functioning right now.

I know you all here love these cars, but recognize the difference between worth keeping, or cut losses and get a different vehicle. I also am sick of paying more because i can't morally put less than premium in it. why must they tax us for "hi-test"!
i am considering getting an integra or prelude or something. am i crazy? i'm worried that i start fixing stuff and more stuff will break. i dont have anyone in the area to take it to that i trust, but i cant do the work myself right now, i hurt my back pretty bad recently, car work is not something i can do. i dont want to roll into a shop where they'll soak me for thousands. what's your opinions?
Old 03-17-07 | 07:25 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default damn straight

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lexus parts arent as bad as you guys are making them out to be as long as you know where to buy them from

Damn straight!

here's a list of my BookMarks for you guys.
Happy hunting! (this list was done as a favor to my indie-shop so the writing is toward them but the info is for everyone)

I have never had the dealer work on my car.
(except for the first 148k miles I didn't own it and luckily for Lexus' records I was able to see what was done at any Lexus Dealer Nationwide. Who knows what they did outside of the Stealer but the record is pretty damn complete and on time - I might add)

BUT I did let one idiot radiator/AC shop do my timing belt and water pump.
But without that jack-A$$ screwing up my timing, I would never have found out about my boys in Fort Mill SC - Toyota Techs.

They do the work that I can't do.
If you got money - go to the stealer - be my guest.
Old 03-17-07 | 03:32 PM
jgmcs
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I should have said a first generation lexus, because if I paid close to 80k for the new ls460 then yes I too would more than likely have Lexus service it.