LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My New Exhaust System With An X Pipe, Removed everything but the rear Lsportline muff

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 01:47 PM
Broker404
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SK, what do you think about just the x-pipe? I've heard that this is the most restrictive part of the exhaust and is the single piece that will make the most difference. Also, what all are there to chose from besides magnaflow?
Old 03-20-07, 03:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Broker404
SK, what do you think about just the x-pipe? I've heard that this is the most restrictive part of the exhaust and is the single piece that will make the most difference. Also, what all are there to chose from besides magnaflow?
the OEM Y-pipe is what your thinking of. the X-pipe replaces this.

lotsa companies make manufactured x-pipes, some cheap, some not, best advice is to go for mandrel bent/full ID tubing X-pipes.
Old 03-20-07, 03:15 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was going to run straight pipes my shop advised me on a Magnaflow (I think) X pipe and it cost around $145 I decided to wait until somebody could tell me how to run the pipes without interfering with the O2 sensors beyond the header portion (thanks SK).

What I have now is the standard mufflers without the resonators. Now, eventually I will run straight pipes like SK but for now I am really happy with the sound.

I am thinking the Magnaflow would be too aggressive sounding?
Old 03-20-07, 03:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by steveski
When I was going to run straight pipes my shop advised me on a Magnaflow (I think) X pipe and it cost around $145 I decided to wait until somebody could tell me how to run the pipes without interfering with the O2 sensors beyond the header portion (thanks SK).

What I have now is the standard mufflers without the resonators. Now, eventually I will run straight pipes like SK but for now I am really happy with the sound.

I am thinking the Magnaflow would be too aggressive sounding?
the x-pipe doesnt affect the sound THAT much. the main mufflers on SK's car are still the LSportline ones.

steve, you would need a set of mufflers, if u decide to do htis at the right time, il give u first dibs on my LSportline's since imma redo the whole exhaust soon

oh, and summitracing has X-pipes (not AS nice but still pretty good) for <$50 iirc.
Old 03-20-07, 06:07 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Thanks Pure - I would be interested in the Lsportline mufflers you have. I wonder what they sound like. I need to post a video online so you can access it - Mine sounds good - not too loud unless you are nuder heavy load. The stock mufflers give a good sound. I imagine the Lsporltine are high flow - better than stock especially with straight through dual exhaust.
Old 03-20-07, 07:21 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not waste time doing this mod with factory mufflers.
I love the L sportlines over others as the tip is also a resonator so it baffles the high pitched noises which others with a plain metal tip will cause to sound tinny.
I choose the magnaflow pipe as it is stainless steel and not mild or aluminized so it won't rust as well as having a deeper note from being thicker steel.

It is easy for any muffler shop to do it just takes time to bend the pipes.
My exhaust is similar to the last one with no pipes but a much deeper cleaner sound . The last one has aluminized piping which can be heard by its resonance. So i would say i am a cross between the first vid and the last one. I just don't seem to rev as fast as the GS does as i am also in winter for now.
Old 03-21-07, 06:33 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Thanks SK. Man, the first video is just a bit more than I want my LS to sound like. The second and third videos were good - we'll see when Pure is ready to let go of his mufflers

If this thread is still going I will make a video of my stock muffler set up and upload it - sounds good but nowhere near like those others.
Old 04-20-07, 11:13 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any update?
Old 04-20-07, 11:40 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I just came back form my break and was thinking to at least take the pics as the car is clean .
I will try later today to take a quick vid and post it .
The sound is great , it has gotten even better and it very quiet until i press over 50% on the gas. The gains are noticeable to anyone for performance and fuel has also been reduced . Strange part is it gets even better when i use the a/c. Probably keeping the a/c compressor bearings well lubed.
Old 04-20-07, 07:56 PM
ewenpg
Driver

Hello all, I live in California and all I know is that touching exhaust systems is a risky business legally. Does anyone know what I am allowed to do and what would be good? I am thinking of replacing the mufflers for starters but want to make sure that it sounds like a V8 not a nasal hornet!!! Any ideas?
Ewen

Last edited by ewenpg; 04-20-07 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Forgot some q's
Old 04-20-07, 08:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ewenpg
Hello all, I live in California and all I know is that touching exhaust systems is a risky business legally. Does anyone know what I am allowed to do and what would be good? I am thinking of replacing the mufflers for starters but want to make sure that it sounds like a V8 not a nasal hornet!!! Any ideas?
Ewen
in CA ur allowed to muck with ur exhaust as much as you want from the cats-back. only thing u may want to remember is that 95DB is the legal sound limit.
Old 04-20-07, 10:29 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Here are the pics , i know everyone wants audio , i have 2 vids but they suck.

Old 04-20-07, 10:38 PM
ewenpg
Driver

Wow man thats nice!
Old 04-21-07, 01:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i spy with my ****ed up eyes

a new set of wheels comin in soon
Old 04-21-07, 09:49 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

You do ? What wheels am i getting?
one of my OZ's are not doing well , so i may be getting another set of rims ,probably the MRR's in machine finish. looks like this

Quick Reply: My New Exhaust System With An X Pipe, Removed everything but the rear Lsportline muff