LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hids on 1st gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 01:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
i remember reading here or on LOC or hidplanet about how you can sand your lenses using rough grit and moving up until your using 2000+ grit to polish. The finish polishing with a rubbing compound.
this is for plastic lenses only. you can try it but i can guarantee you that the lenses will not come out anything near clear. just messing up your headlights.

Pure, are you sure about the projectors? I've seen late 90's e-class and 5series with projectors behind diffused glass. They had xenons.

I'm gonna get a spare set of headlights to try it out on. Not anytimes soon though. Gotta study first and keep those grades
OEM E-series 96-02 (thats W210 chassis) had fluted glass lenses and halogen bulbs just like the pre 98 LS400.

read up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=239785

there is no way to sand/polish the fluted lines out of the glass in the gen1 headlights.

one japanese company (Hilltop) uses industrial machinery to GRIND the glass clear but it is in excess of $800, and a primary complaint is the presence of swirls and scratchmarks on the remaining glass lens since even they cant grind the glass "optically clear"
Old 04-14-07, 07:04 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that sanding on the glass lights will do nothing but hurt you.

Get yourself a nice $170 HID kit off craigslist and call it a day. Once again for best results get a 6000K rated set. Get bi-xenon if you care about the highbeam function.

I am glad that older owners or people who have had these cars for over a decade have tried different options to improve on things. Let us not forget that with time comes change. Things have become cheaper and are more accessible. So something that may have not worked 10+ years ago may have been improved upon during that time. HID kits used to cost upwards of $500. Now you can get one under $200. I have only seen one custom job where someone cut the projector into the glass itself. This was on an Acura legend but on that car the glass is inside of a housing which has an outer glass. On the LS It might not look as clean with a projector poking out.

What happend to the guy researching the Volkswagon setup for the LS's???
Old 04-14-07, 07:52 AM
steph
Rookie

i just bought the bi-xenon hella kit off ebay $165 shipped. my manager put the low beam kit on his 96 accord so i had to buy some for my ls .

as for the diffusors in the hid factory headlights they come stock on MANY cars including the S-Class mercedes so they do NOT have to be clear like most other cars have even with plain halogen bulbs. I see more cars that have blinding lights without hids anyways.

thanks for the help for those that were helpful...

Post more hid pics!
Old 04-14-07, 08:46 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Good post pics when your done. Remember just aim them right using a nice white wall and you'll be ok.
Old 04-14-07, 12:50 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Original Poster: You didn't mention what your objective is. If it is high-quality lighting, then no, HID retrofit cannot be done effectively. Heck, even the guy on this thread who did it has his pointed to the ground to prevent glare--which means compromised actual lighting where you need it. The best bet is to go with Silverstar Ultras and be done with it.

If your objective is purely for looks and the bling factor, then you can retrofit, but your actual light quality put on the road will suffer. Sure it will be brighter, but brighter is NOT better--pattern, light dispersion, lumens, etc. all contribute to *quality* light put downroad in a manner that does not cause visual fatigue.
Old 04-14-07, 02:01 PM
steph
Rookie

I was just wondering if anyone has done it before. not how. I know how. I wanted to see a few pics.
Old 04-14-07, 03:30 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

avalon42, when you retrofitted the H3 HID bulbs into your 9004 housing, did you make sure that the focal point of the H3 bulb matched up with the focal point of the 9004 bulb while it was in the housing? I understand that you've aimed your headlights to their lowest setting, but if you match up the focal points, I think you'd get a much better beam pattern than you have right now.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

ur 94 is different from these guy's 89-92 cars, the 93+ had a redesigned housing that used H4 bulbs instead of the crappy H3(h3c ) that came on the first models.
'90-'92 models use 9004 bulbs. It's the fogs that use H3C bulbs instead of H3 bulbs like on the '93-'94s.

Originally Posted by pito
What happend to the guy researching the Volkswagon setup for the LS's???
I believe Lexkost is still doing R&D on those.

Last edited by EXE.UCF10; 04-14-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 03:38 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my Philips 6000K H4 setup in Toyota Celsior (JDM spec) one piece headlights... taken next to the driver's side.

Old 04-14-07, 06:02 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
avalon42, when you retrofitted the H3 HID bulbs into your 9004 housing, did you make sure that the focal point of the H3 bulb matched up with the focal point of the 9004 bulb while it was in the housing? I understand that you've aimed your headlights to their lowest setting, but if you match up the focal points, I think you'd get a much better beam pattern than you have right now.
I did not match the original focal points, all I did was hollow out some stock 9004 bulbs and made them so they would fit the H3 bulbs I already had. It was that or either buy a new kit. I just didn't want the engine fumes and dirt getting into the headlight housing. I know the beam pattern looks bad, but it's because they are aimed down so low.

Props on your setup and the 1 piece JDM headlights (which I'd get if they didn't cost a grip...

To everybody else:

Cmon guys, 1LS wasn't bad. If there wasn't a 1LS, there wouldn't be anything for Toyota to improve on. Stop knocking it, honestly.
Old 04-14-07, 08:36 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

I believe Lexkost is still doing R&D on those.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am still working on them and they WILL WORK, but now I am installing a full front bumper kit that does not have turn signals it so I am deciding on what do to with the front turn signals, use the corners lights or the ones in new headlights.

Also since persian451 sold his 1st gen LS I do not have a first gen to also retro fix ....So are there any takers out there with a 1st gen LS in Socal let me know.
Old 04-14-07, 09:46 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexkost
I believe Lexkost is still doing R&D on those.
So are there any takers out there with a 1st gen LS in Socal let me know.[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to try...but my question is...what Volkswagen lights are we talking about?

Don't beat me with the Search Stick please.
Old 04-14-07, 09:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
So are there any takers out there with a 1st gen LS in Socal let me know.

I'd be willing to try...but my question is...what Volkswagen lights are we talking about?

Don't beat me with the Search Stick please.
i DID post the link up a few posts ago

aftermarket jetta lights.
Old 04-14-07, 10:18 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i DID post the link up a few posts ago

aftermarket jetta lights.
My bad, PD! In all my excitement I should really read...read...read
Old 04-15-07, 12:36 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by avalon42
Cmon guys, 1LS wasn't bad. If there wasn't a 1LS, there wouldn't be anything for Toyota to improve on. Stop knocking it, honestly.
Speaking of needing to read--read the context of the posts. The 1LS is an amazing car. Has horrible headlights, that are not easily upgraded in a manner that provides good light pattern. End of story.
Old 04-15-07, 04:49 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akxx
Speaking of needing to read--read the context of the posts. The 1LS is an amazing car. Has horrible headlights, that are not easily upgraded in a manner that provides good light pattern. End of story.
As Capn Jack would say, sticks and stones...
Attached Thumbnails hids on 1st gen-162661314_48ab659075_o.jpg  

Last edited by avalon42; 04-15-07 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: hids on 1st gen