LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car running rich at idle '94

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 10:31 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car running rich at idle '94

I have noticed that if you stand behind the car while it is ildling.. after engine is warm.. that it is running rich you can smell it. that eye burning effect.... I know this car has 4 wire O2 sensors.. so it should not do this... The sensors were replaced recently... and I have no warning lights. Gas mileage seems normal.

Also notice a slight idle problem.. when in gear at a stop.. and you put it in park or neutral.. the engine RPM drops to below 500 then recovers... Mabye they are related...

Car is a 94 with 172K on it. recent timing belt, engine oil is clean so is trans. new O2 sensors.

Thanks

Ken
Old 04-13-07, 10:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

clean out ur throttle body+seafoam.

its supposed to run a little rich.

"eye burning"...?
Old 04-14-07, 06:28 AM
kens97sto
Rookie

Thanks for the help.. The O2 Sensors WERE replaced recently.. AND there are no Check engine lights on. I ahve not checked to see if there are any stored I will do that. It is possible that this is normal behavior... I have had older cars with 1 wire O2's that ran rich at idle because there is not enough heat at idle to make the O2 function.. But the LS has 4 wire O2's with built in heaters... to avaoid this problem.

Thanks..

Ken
Old 04-14-07, 07:10 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seafoam does work. I have personally used it on vehicles who had slight smoking problems, erratic idle or just had high mileage.

There are always going to be some people who say something works and some that say it doesnt. Best way to find out is to just do it yourself and live with the consequences. An alternative to seafoam is BG44K. I got mines from the infiniti dealer, while it is a bit pricey it does work.

I would give the seafoam a shot, it isnt hard to do. Pour some into the gas tank, some into the crankcase and then pour some in a cup and use the PCV valve hose to slowly suck some in through the vacuum. I mean slowly because if you pour too much the engine will cut off. Better to have someone in the car to tap the throttle for you.
Old 04-14-07, 12:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LEX
Sorry but Seafoam is a very old product, used it many years ago, had the pulled intake manifolds after using and it was a joke. Makes alot of smoke and that is about all. Did you ever try to clean carbon built up, it will take more than a cleaner. I still say the is no scientfic prove that it does anything but make you feel good.
have u used it on w/e ur driving right now?

if u use it as described by some of us you DO feel a noticeable difference...
Old 04-14-07, 12:54 PM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with PD.

I have had a couple of good experiences with it and have always see the differences. I have seen cars that first failed emissions pass once cleaned with seafoam.
Old 04-16-07, 02:48 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Just wanted to add to the Seafoam debate.... My buddy and I were doing an engine swap. And took some of the valves from the blown engine and put them is a small dish of seafoam... There is definatly a chemical reaction that occurs.. The carbon buildup foams and bubbles... we left the valves in the Seafoam overnight and after that the carbon came off much easier.

Only problem I can see is that during normal use of the seafoam there would be much less contact. Mabye the heat adds to the cleaning ability.

Have a good one.

Ken