LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Muffler delete: makes the cabin too loud too talk in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 07:54 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix
anyone have an undercar shot of a 1LS?
Here ya go...

Old 05-31-07, 07:56 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For those considering or have done an X-pipe, do you cut into the system just before the single rear cat, and then place the X-pipe where the single cat was?

Just trying to figure out packaging issues for going X-pipe and resonator delete, but maintaining stock rear mufflers.
Old 05-31-07, 08:37 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AKXX... thanks man..awesome
Old 05-31-07, 08:55 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jasbmo
turbosix, you should just get one of those exhausts that sounds like a turbo and then a switch that makes the blow off valve sound. those are sweet, i'm going to get one of those installed, just need to save up for the rear wing first!
yes, the first thing i think of when i hear someone say "open exhaust v8" is "ricer"

half the people in here are talking about putting GLASSPACKS on a lexus.. glasspacks are normally found on some redneck's 1982 chevy truck in backwoods louisiana and you try to call me out on some crap about wanting to put two electric cutouts operated by a factory switch on?

Old 05-31-07, 10:08 AM
ewenpg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and saw the guy I use for all my exhaust stuff (he is the guy that does all the work for F1) and who did my resonator delete and he suggested some Maganflow muffler and tips. He does good work so I trust him but does anyone know what the Magnaflows are like?
Ewen
Old 05-31-07, 03:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by akxx
For those considering or have done an X-pipe, do you cut into the system just before the single rear cat, and then place the X-pipe where the single cat was?

Just trying to figure out packaging issues for going X-pipe and resonator delete, but maintaining stock rear mufflers.
u cut in after the cats which are attached to the exhaust header. the center box is NOT a cat, its an extra resonator/muffler.

yes, the first thing i think of when i hear someone say "open exhaust v8" is "ricer"

half the people in here are talking about putting GLASSPACKS on a lexus.. glasspacks are normally found on some redneck's 1982 chevy truck in backwoods louisiana and you try to call me out on some crap about wanting to put two electric cutouts operated by a factory switch on?

first of all, have u HEARD an open LS? i have, trust me, nothing muscley about it. 2nd of all, people are giving u crap because u admit to wanting to put the cut-outs in ONLY for sound, knowing that it wont give u any improvement in driveability (coughricecough)

who said anything about glasspacks.....
Old 05-31-07, 03:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ewenpg
I went and saw the guy I use for all my exhaust stuff (he is the guy that does all the work for F1) and who did my resonator delete and he suggested some Maganflow muffler and tips. He does good work so I trust him but does anyone know what the Magnaflows are like?
Ewen
magnaflows (depending on which ones are used) sound pretty good.
Old 05-31-07, 03:31 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah my guy said the same thing about Magnaflow's - I didn't think they would be good but maybe I need to hear them. I was thinking HKS, Borla, etc. with the X-pipe and true 2.25" dual exhaust.
Old 05-31-07, 04:48 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
first of all, have u HEARD an open LS? i have, trust me, nothing muscley about it. 2nd of all, people are giving u crap because u admit to wanting to put the cut-outs in ONLY for sound, knowing that it wont give u any improvement in driveability (coughricecough)

who said anything about glasspacks.....
i have heard one on streetfire. it sounded mean as ****. not to mention i run open downpipe on my t-type and would not have it any other way, there isnt even an exhaust bolted on the car.

not to mention i'm almost willing to bet money with them fully open you would see a loss in torque and a rise in upper rpm horsepower

ricers rarely sound good and i've yet to hear a v8 sound anything but great with little to no exhaust..

but what you keep forgetting is that the cutouts that i want are adjustable... i could run them 10% open and get a little bit of aggressive sound with much less trade off.

not to mention no one has done it and i like to try new things. being an innovator is fun, look at the lexkost/jbrady mods. everyone has given them **** too.
Old 05-31-07, 06:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i have heard one on streetfire. it sounded mean as ****. not to mention i run open downpipe on my t-type and would not have it any other way, there isnt even an exhaust bolted on the car.

not to mention i'm almost willing to bet money with them fully open you would see a loss in torque and a rise in upper rpm horsepower

ricers rarely sound good and i've yet to hear a v8 sound anything but great with little to no exhaust..

but what you keep forgetting is that the cutouts that i want are adjustable... i could run them 10% open and get a little bit of aggressive sound with much less trade off.

not to mention no one has done it and i like to try new things. being an innovator is fun, look at the lexkost/jbrady mods. everyone has given them **** too.
as i recall, there is only 1 somewhat open 1UZ on streetfire
this one:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...5fb0148d73.htm

i honestly hope u arent basing ur judgement off of that one video, considering that motor runs (obviously) through a full ITB system, along with custom headers, built bottom end, and full valvetrain (incl. custom cams).

main reason ur getting **** from ME is because ur calling out rice and then saying u wanna do it "for sound".

ive already said u lose low end torque, so why would i bet you money that you wouldnt iirc, i mentioned it in the first place. the cut-outs are pretty much pointless, your better off just having a full exhaust made. u can do what u want, no way i could (or would want to) stop you, but dont say its for performance gains when it isnt. the LS is handicapped since we A-have little low-down torque as it is and B-have a TALL final gear ration, which just makes it worse. thats why a GS4 feels so much faster than the LS4 of the same era.
Old 06-01-07, 02:13 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

as i recall, there is only 1 somewhat open 1UZ on streetfire
this one:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...5fb0148d73.htm

i honestly hope u arent basing ur judgement off of that one video, considering that motor runs (obviously) through a full ITB system, along with custom headers, built bottom end, and full valvetrain (incl. custom cams).

main reason ur getting **** from ME is because ur calling out rice and then saying u wanna do it "for sound".

ive already said u lose low end torque, so why would i bet you money that you wouldnt iirc, i mentioned it in the first place. the cut-outs are pretty much pointless, your better off just having a full exhaust made. u can do what u want, no way i could (or would want to) stop you, but dont say its for performance gains when it isnt. the LS is handicapped since we A-have little low-down torque as it is and B-have a TALL final gear ration, which just makes it worse. thats why a GS4 feels so much faster than the LS4 of the same era.
the video i'm talking about is here:
http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...c7f4288f55.htm

now i do realise the car in the video says open headers versus actually having the cats on. i still think that sounds awesome. what i've always been fascinated with is luxury cars that dont sound like luxury cars. the CTS-V? awesome! a cadillac that sounds like a corvette... the "WTF" factor is always funny to me. why do I have a turbo buick? the same reason. people who dont know what it is look at it and think "oh.. a black grandma car" and then i start it up and the look on their faces is priceless. a turbocharged v6 80's buick regal that makes 300hp/450tq with very minor modifications.

and what exactly is wrong with wanting a certain sound out of your car? plenty of these people talk about muffler delete to have their LS sound a little better but i've yet to see one dyno sheet from anyone deleting the resonator under the driveshaft or the two mufflers right past it.

can anyone show me they gained anything at all from the muffler delete other than a nice exhaust note? driving around and only hearing the clutch fan spinning is nice when you've got a hangover or on a long trip but to be honest with you, i like the sound of a nice exhaust.

the cutouts i'd like to put on will be able to give me the best of both worlds... 0%-100% open. i can pick and choose and someone doing a muffler delete just cant do that, period. if i want to go back to "stock" i turn a **** and my car is silent once again. If I want a little rumble i can slightly open them, and if I want to sound like the car in the video above i can do it as well.

i think it is a nice alternative to a semi-permanent modification where you're cutting mufflers / resonators out of the loop and tossing them in the trash/your garage.

with that said, looking at the picture i'm thinking that one would be enough, possibly right behind the first resonator. I'm doubtful there is enough room when keeping in mind about ground clearance issues putting them up there... it would be pretty crappy to lose $300 to a speedbump
Old 06-03-07, 03:00 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

u cut in after the cats which are attached to the exhaust header. the center box is NOT a cat, its an extra resonator/muffler.
While that may be true for most, it's not a rule of thumb. Some cars have 3 cats. I'm not sure if it's year-related, state-related, or both. It's easy enough to tell with a quick look down below.
Old 06-03-07, 04:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by sonyman
While that may be true for most, it's not a rule of thumb. Some cars have 3 cats. I'm not sure if it's year-related, state-related, or both. It's easy enough to tell with a quick look down below.
what i said is specific to the LS, 89-00. this discussion is about the LS iirc.
Old 06-03-07, 05:28 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what i said is specific to the LS, 89-00. this discussion is about the LS iirc.
And just what car did you think I was referring to? Cars plural as in multiple LS400's.
Old 06-03-07, 06:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

again, the center muffler, on ALL year LS400s is just that, a muffler/resonator. every parts list/repair manual for every year LS that ive seen lists just TWO cats.

now if u can come up with some definitive evidence (repair manual scan/factory parts list) my earlier statements stand.

Quick Reply: Muffler delete: makes the cabin too loud too talk in?