LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RX300 Shifter on 1LS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 08:26 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akxx
Kudos to you for attempting this!
Thanks. Turns out that this is going to be a very custom job. I will have to hack off the shift as close to the bottom as possible, and weld the shaft assembly from the RX300 on it.

I'm beginning to think that the shifter we see in the pictures is NOT from the RX300/Harrier, but a custom one that is found here.

http://translate.google.com/translat...3Doff%26sa%3DG

I sent a message to japan, but we'll see if they can answer it.

-d
Old 05-26-07, 07:35 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep us posted...
Old 05-27-07, 02:58 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to thread hijack, but I just started installing the Napolex shifter, and it doesn't fit!

I mean it fits, but the front two screws that are supposed to go into the stock screws.. don't amtch. The holes sort of match, but not perfectly, and the supplied screws are too big. The stock screws are too short to get it on.

I'm using 3 tiny hex screws at the bottom of the shifter that keep it on..

I'll try to take pics.

How did you get the black transmission piece out? I unbolted the 4 bolts, and it comes loose, but that power cable really is tough to get out of the piece.. Any tricks? I lost my O/D wire when I cut it, so getting that thign out would be great if I can get access to the O/D wire again.
Old 05-27-07, 08:15 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Suneet
How did you get the black transmission piece out? I unbolted the 4 bolts, and it comes loose, but that power cable really is tough to get out of the piece.. Any tricks? I lost my O/D wire when I cut it, so getting that thign out would be great if I can get access to the O/D wire again.
If you're talking about the cap that holds the spring down on the shaft, you unscrew that.

As for the black piece, after you unscrew the four screws, you need to move the shaft into a position like neutral and pull it straight up. That's how I got mine off. Be careful because the cable for the bulb is on the bottom of the assembly, twist it to remove it.
Old 05-27-07, 11:51 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah thats what I was wondering about.. you twist the cable to take it out? I'll try that. Is the O/D cable accessible from anywhere else aside from INSIDE the gear shifter shaft?
Old 05-27-07, 12:00 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Suneet
Yeah thats what I was wondering about.. you twist the cable to take it out? I'll try that. Is the O/D cable accessible from anywhere else aside from INSIDE the gear shifter shaft?
Yes, you twist the connector (not the cable)on the bottom of the shifter cover assembly. It is for the internal shifter light bulb. You just twist to remove.

As for the O/D cable, I assumed that you cut it from the top when you removed the old shift **** (you're gonna have to, there is no interface or coupling in between). It follows down along the shaft and comes back out through a side opening on the shifter stem. You can just pull that out, and use both napolex wires and guide them down to meet the factory wires. I recommend sleeving the napolex wires that are traveling through the stem. For reference, you can see my pics again and notice the blue sleeve wire, that's the OD wire set while the black still has the LED in it.

Happy installing.

Last edited by avalon42; 05-27-07 at 12:04 PM.