LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Modded my airbox - If you haven't, DO IT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 01:34 PM
ewenpg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amount of Cadillacs I see driving around with its butt dragging the ground is ridiculous!!! The amount of Ls's I have seen= 1. It was a 1st gen too so at least 10 years old.
Old 09-30-07, 03:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cartechpr
I was referring to the new ls460 vs the new cts and sts, i've sat in both and the cts is quieter than the ls460, granted it has a lot more GADGETS that in the long run will give problems issues and will be hell to fix.. keep in mind here that the ls460 is 120k. vs a 70k vehicle on the most expensive caddy here. Have a tranny problem??? forget about fixing it.. that 8speed will not be serviced by ANYONE. Lexus dealers with the 5speed, even volvo, mazda and others tell you to buy a new one since they do not repair them.

The thing is ... you are all biased and i can understand as this is a lexus forum.

And to you sk.. why don't you list every single thing that has gone wrong with your car? Maybe i wasn't lucky to get a problem free vehicle. And i mean.. annoyances, like vanity mirrors not working, sudden stumbles out of the blue. Extremely flimsy motor mounts, trans mounts. Please.. i beg you.. try to remove the hoses from the intake a few times to see if they don't snap with just a slight twisting to remove the hoses.. or try removing the temp sensor connector or any connector near to the engine to see how they snap out and literally get destroyed.. THAT IS QUALITY LEXUS!

You can't get OEM lexus quality bushings w/o buying the complete upper a-arm or lower a-arm.. you can get the strut rod bushing though, but what about the rear knuckles???

Anyways. Engine, trans and rear, they are bulletproof.. its everything else that really blows by.

The problem with most american cars is the way they are handled, they are mistreated and abused, most of the times you see that their maintenance is practically 0 after the warranty and the necessary check ups are done. But with those engines i don't have to worry about belts every 60k. I've seen engines from 98-2000 model year with over 200k w/o issues at all... Yes, i've dealt with the gasket issue with them where i worked and i know its a common problem, also they have an issue with the lower part of the block that leaks quite a lot, since its a 2 piece. Those problems where fixed... yet.. you get a caddy of the same mileage and it will vibrate a lot less than a 430 engine from lexus, talk about quality. Been dealing with them locally and they all vibrate as a caddy doesn't, even with good motor mounts.

Yes, the car has yet to leave me stranded. but its all the annoyances that really make me want to get rid of the car.

If you can't all get the lexus glasses off and compare them justly you will simply be promoting a company that, although assembles cars locally, its money goes somewhere else. And just to touch up a matter that all american's feel personally... How many tundras did Toyota sent to ground 0? So.. take off the toyota glasses and look everything objectively.. TRY OUT A CADDY and then come back here and post.

I have 2001 z06 and want to know the problems of this car??? Shocks and right power window doesn't want to go down. That is it.. It was replaced under warranty 2x... and yet it ****ed up again.. Other than that.. it has a better A/C than the ls400s it has more power.. CONSUMES A LOT LESS Fuel (even with a cam and heads in it makign 455rwhp) and even though the suspension is a LOT stiffer and you can feel more things.. the dampening of sound is a lot better when you get heavy holes. In 40k miles i only had to replace shocks... No leaky valve covers. No issues with the maf wearing out, no issues with toasted crap on the engine bay even with headers. Its interior rattle FREE!!!!!!!! unlike the ls.

Be objective and you'll see I am not lying, maybe ranting, or otherwise trying to sell you something else. Lexus might look like the end of it all.. they are beautiful... no doubt about it.. I really like my car in the way of looks and interior looks, but... They don't last that long
first off, wtf are you smoking LS460 costing 120k

you've just admitted that the LS is probably going to last longer....

the bulk of the rest of your post is hearsay, ive read up a decent bit on those northstar motors and there's quite a few more problems than your letting on

oh, and the only way ur vette will get better mpg is if u drive it like a grandmother and ur LS like a bat outta hell you've also admitted the 'vette's broken 2-3 times and even though it was under warranty, it still broke when the car is SO YOUNG. shocks had to be replaced at 40k. mi huh, that means its about 35-50% less durable than the shocks on the LS

generally speaking the difference with a domestic car and an american made import is that the domestic will start to break the day you buy it whereas the "import" will start to break long after the warranty's run out and even then only minor things.

TO KEEP ME OUTTA TROUBLE
a modded airbox sounds decent on its own but really becomes noticeable when u do the muffler delete or full exhaust.
Old 09-30-07, 04:15 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess I should have introduced myself first. I'm not new to the Lexus/Toyota brand, I've just been away for a while. I just purchased a 1995 LS400 with 58k miles on the clock in the state of Ohio. Great car. I truly missed the rock solid feel of the LS400.

The thing is ... you are all biased and i can understand as this is a lexus forum.
Possibly. But I own the following.

- 2005 Pontiac GTO M6
- 1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible

Family Owns

- 1988 Chevy Nova
- 1994 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
- 1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited Sedan
- 2004 Silvorado 5.3 extended Cab.

I just purchased a 1995 Lexus LS400 w/58k miles on the clock. I'm hardly 100% biased Lexus.

If you can't all get the lexus glasses off and compare them justly you will simply be promoting a company that, although assembles cars locally, its money goes somewhere else. And just to touch up a matter that all american's feel personally... How many tundras did Toyota sent to ground 0? So.. take off the toyota glasses and look everything objectively.. TRY OUT A CADDY and then come back here and post.
I get tired of this argument. It is your money. It is my money. Sure I live in the United States, but I'm not arrogant enought to think only OUR stuff is better.

My GTO is built in Austrailia

My Camaro Z28 was built in Canada.

I have 2001 z06 and want to know the problems of this car??? Shocks and right power window doesn't want to go down. That is it.. It was replaced under warranty 2x... and yet it ****ed up again.. Other than that.. it has a better A/C than the ls400s it has more power.. CONSUMES A LOT LESS Fuel (even with a cam and heads in it makign 455rwhp) and even though the suspension is a LOT stiffer and you can feel more things.. the dampening of sound is a lot better when you get heavy holes. In 40k miles i only had to replace shocks... No leaky valve covers. No issues with the maf wearing out, no issues with toasted crap on the engine bay even with headers. Its interior rattle FREE!!!!!!!! unlike the ls.
How anyone could put an '01 Z06 Corvette up against a '98 LS400 is beyond me. My LS2 GTO averages 26 MPG on the highway. You and I share the same M12 T56 transmission in our cars. Most of that economy is due to the double overdrive in 6th.

Noise, vibration, sound (or lack there of in the LS400) is leaps and bounds better than my two GM muscle cars.

I don't know why your LS400 is givigng you so many problems. But it sounds to me like you've got a lemon and should get rid of it ASAP.

Be objective and you'll see I am not lying, maybe ranting, or otherwise trying to sell you something else. Lexus might look like the end of it all.. they are beautiful... no doubt about it.. I really like my car in the way of looks and interior looks, but... They don't last that long
It is odd that they don't last long when there are countless 100, 200, 300 plus thousand mile examples on the road today.
Old 09-30-07, 04:22 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I should also mention that I am currently ridding in my 1995 Lexus LS400 driving down the road at 80mph with my fiancee driving and my verizon card in the computer. I have never been more comfortible in a 12+ year old car. We're on an 8 hour trip.

I'm seeing 24 MPG w/air on and four people in the car. None of us are tired and all admit we've never been more comfortible driving on a long trip.
Old 09-30-07, 07:44 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned 2 Lexus vehicles and a Lincoln...

First Lexus was a 98 LS400 and I drove it to about 180K miles, and the only thing that broke on it was a small piece on the vent on the interior of the car.

My 2002 Lincoln LS V8...Lasted 50K miles

-Alternator broke at 45K miles
-Brakes caught on fire...twice
-Engine overheated at around 47,000 Miles
-Stereo cut in and out
-Headlights would dim at night when I'd turn on the A/C or even roll my windows up...
-The whole dash would go out completely
-The Power Steering Pump would stop working at highway speeds

Thats just a couple of issues that the American Car had....No Caddy, but the same Genere

99 LS400

No problems, perfect. Bought it at 62,000...Now almost 80,000 miles. The only time it acted up was when the battery died...like any car...

Now, your Corvette has one of the most durable engines that GM makes. They have made to LS series engines for a long time, so its expected that they have all the bugs worked out. The Corvette gets the most funding in production, and have very strict regulations on who works inside the plant.

$120K for a Lexus LS? Wherever you live, you're getting screwed over. HOw much did you pay for your LS?

Caddilac? Are you serious? Do you know how many cadillacs you see in Junk Yards? I don't know of anyone who has a Cadillac that has survived more than 120K miles. My grandparents drive Cadillacs because they dont trust a foreign reliability; even though their previous caddis have had numerous engine problems...(1989 Deville, 1994 Deville, 2000 Deville, 2003 DTS, 2007 DTS). The only cadillac they kept was the 1989 model and it only held out about 100,000 miles.

You can never compare a General Motors product to a Toyota Product...The only reason why you see a GM product on the road is because their engines are so simplistic and easier to put together, than say a Honda or Toyota engine. No one will spend to time to mess with a foreign V8 engine when they can save half the time working on a half-reliable engine.

IF you spend as much time as you say you do under the hood, you'll see what I mean.

Only th 65+ drive Cadillacs. I have never seen a 30-40 year old driving the SRX, or an STS, or even a CTS. You see more young people going for the Lexus GS, GX, IS, and ES.

I refuse to drive a GM product except for a Corvette or a Suburban...LSx engine and the 5300 series.
Old 09-30-07, 07:52 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, aside from other non thread related topics...I finally tried out the intake mod and to my delight I like it! I definitely felt a difference in the pick up and the car sounds more aggressive. I'm taking a long road trip this coming week with this mod and I hope to get some good numbers in the mpg department. i will post some numbers by the end of next week.
Old 09-30-07, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
Well, aside from other non thread related topics...I finally tried out the intake mod and to my delight I like it! I definitely felt a difference in the pick up and the car sounds more aggressive. I'm taking a long road trip this coming week with this mod and I hope to get some good numbers in the mpg department. i will post some numbers by the end of next week.
yay! Back OT for everyone!

but yea, some solid mpg figures for a 1LS with intake mod would be nice
Old 09-30-07, 08:33 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yay! Back OT for everyone!

but yea, some solid mpg figures for a 1LS with intake mod would be nice
Here's me hoping he gets 5 significant figures so we can actually see the difference.
Old 09-30-07, 08:57 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW here is the link of my car with a Cold air intake only taken over 2 years ago when i first did it. It sounds a little bigger than my honda civic in my garage with a cold air intake.

http://mark8.org/users/GRANDLS400/Ls_intake.WAV

My car gets parts replaced because i am **** not because it is broken. To prove that point i wanted my strut rods replaced under warranty because i could feel and See the wheels out of spec. On the hoist the dealer told me they were fine. I made them put it back up , I grabbed a pry bar off a bench and showed them exactly where it was "starting" to split and they were astonished ,said sorry and ordered the parts. The only thing that is needed to be fixed is the rear knuckle because i cannot by the bearing it uses for the one position.

I also have 320 000 km and drive it daily , so if it needs some replacement rubber parts i think it is worthy of them. My car has never left me on the side of the road.

You my friend need to buy a buss pass as that is the only thing that will keep you happy and on time with no maintenance but you still will be at the side of the road.

I am interested to find out about these chinese knock off headers though.