LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Modded my airbox - If you haven't, DO IT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 12:36 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so whats the consensus here? I did the Lexkost mod, and it sounded real nice, but like COLS400 (? - the guy with the 98-00 Silver LS kitted on air bags) said, under low RPMs, the engine seemed to bog down.

so is this mod or ?
Old 05-28-07, 01:13 PM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the consensus is do what you want with your own car

I did a version of the Lexkost mod and i don't experience bogging and love the sound and the throttle response so do what you will and be happy

just my 2 cents.
Old 05-28-07, 05:01 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the Lexkost mod and have not seen a decrease in mileage. As a matter of fact I have seen the average MPG of the tank go from 22-23 to 25-27 since the mod. I am not an engineer and cannot comment on the thorough earlier remarks. I only changed from the OEM filter to a high flow WIX filter (no oil required). I did the Lexkost as prescribed and it has not adversely affected the car. I will for this week revert back to my OEM set up to see what the results are. I don't mind buying a cold air intake - just wanted to try this mod first.
Old 05-28-07, 05:02 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow!! thanks so much for the quick response.
Old 05-28-07, 06:02 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bogging down? Did you guys reset the ECU after installing the air filter?

I haven't noticed any bog down problems. In fact, I've notice that the engine feels pretty liberated.

BTW, the MAF is not only affected by the density of the air passing through it, but the air volume. I've focused eliminating the bottlenecks of the stock system and allowing the engine to blow in more air (no such thing as suction when referring to vacuum). I would love to figure out a way for a less restrictive ram or cold air setup, but that will have to wait.

Last edited by avalon42; 05-28-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 07:22 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
I did the Lexkost mod and have not seen a decrease in mileage. As a matter of fact I have seen the average MPG of the tank go from 22-23 to 25-27 since the mod. I am not an engineer and cannot comment on the thorough earlier remarks. I only changed from the OEM filter to a high flow WIX filter (no oil required). I did the Lexkost as prescribed and it has not adversely affected the car. I will for this week revert back to my OEM set up to see what the results are. I don't mind buying a cold air intake - just wanted to try this mod first.
Where did you order your WIX filter?
Old 05-29-07, 03:19 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It cost about $35.
Old 07-26-07, 10:47 AM
cartechpr
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
I know your are just making a light hearted joke Avalon but you truly speak the truth this airbox thing being modded poorly is getting out of hand.
These are poor quality modifications done with no research to cars that are not civics but seem to be treated like one by these backyard techniques.
I strongly urge people to consult a professional before hacking apart your car because it sounds better and makes your pants feel you are faster . This kind of poor design is reducing the gas mileage and reliability of your car as would any short arm intake.
There are much better ways of going about doing this such as the srt intake with a proper heat shield with fuel management .

Just my 2 cents , but i have a civic to destroy and tinker not a beautiful machine like my LS to subject this type of mod 2.
The SRT Intake does NOT fit these cars.. if you have .. please let me know.. I have one laying around there that i can't fit because it hits the fan... AND it hits the thermostat housing... One more thing.. you do have to hack away the heat shield as it doesn't fit correctly, it gets in the way of all the tubings that run around that part.

Ideas? Thoughts?? Pics??

I have headers installed and ifeel the car is SLOWER than before, it makes me think its lack of intake.. but since there is no intake available.. anything to mod it correctly is fine... so pics are in order.. Thank you.

Last edited by cartechpr; 07-26-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 12:57 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is an SRT intake from a GS400 on an LS400.
The thread is located here
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...7123&hl=wiring

Old 07-26-07, 10:51 PM
Broker404
Driver

Originally Posted by cartechpr
The SRT Intake does NOT fit these cars.. if you have .. please let me know.. I have one laying around there that i can't fit because it hits the fan... AND it hits the thermostat housing... One more thing.. you do have to hack away the heat shield as it doesn't fit correctly, it gets in the way of all the tubings that run around that part.

Ideas? Thoughts?? Pics??

I have headers installed and ifeel the car is SLOWER than before, it makes me think its lack of intake.. but since there is no intake available.. anything to mod it correctly is fine... so pics are in order.. Thank you.

what kind of headers do you have?
Old 09-23-07, 03:54 PM
cartechpr
Driver

The only headers... ltuned parts or SandS headers.

I am going to try this again now.. but was this CUT? was the intake cut to make it fit?

Last edited by cartechpr; 09-23-07 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 03:56 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only headers... ltuned parts or SandS headers.
There are more headers made than that, so definitely not the only ones.
Old 09-23-07, 03:59 PM
cartechpr
Driver

Really?? which ones? because these ones are not that good... Looking for long tubes if available.
Old 09-23-07, 04:09 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really?? which ones? because these ones are not that good... Looking for long tubes if available.
A while ago JBrady was working with a manufacturer to make some custom shorty headers, and there are also some Chinese S&S clone headers available. I don't think there are any that are better than the ones you already have.
Old 09-23-07, 05:08 PM
cartechpr
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
Here is an SRT intake from a GS400 on an LS400.
The thread is located here
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...7123&hl=wiring

Was that tube CUT? i am going to cut mine tomorrow for it to clear the fan.

Quick Reply: Modded my airbox - If you haven't, DO IT!