LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Reasons why or why not to get a 98-00 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 01:17 AM
Five1OH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
While timing belts and water pumps can last over 100K, and sometimes even over 300K on the original equipment, I have seen them break before. This could be due to a freak accident, maybe a faulty rubber belt, dry rot, or whatever. Generally, the belts that I have seem or heard about breaking didn't really break in half, but more stripped a tooth. This as you know causes the timing to jump and depending on how many teeth stripped obviously will damage an interference engine. The choice is to either get ripped off and change your t belt every 90K miles, or roll the dice and risk $4K engine repair. If you keep your car a long time it might end up costing less in the long run to just wait until the belt breaks and either swap the engine or have it repaired, but that is a lot of down time for some people and an all at once cost. $1200 every 90K miles seems to be insignificant too me in the long run. But, that is just my perspective. If I had a non interference engine I might wait until the belt breaks. Then you just need to replace the belt and readjust timing.
I was kidding in the first reply about running the car to the ground lol.

I do my own work so price of the timing belt change for me would be.... the price of the belt + water and oil pump + tensioner pulleys and anything else I decide do along the way like cam seals. Just wondering about the air suspension. I'll be searching through the board for alternative nice riding strut replacements as I really don't need an automatic height adjustable system. If anybody has a strut recommendation, that would be great.
Old 06-03-07, 01:27 AM
Five1OH
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
only stuff that can go wrong is basically all rubber, the suspension bushings normally start going out round 120k mi. (strut bar bushings and sway bar bushings, relatively cheap) to 160k mi (CA bushings and possibly ball joints= a bit pricy depending on the route taken).
Does Lexus sell the control arm bushings separately? I read up a little bit just now and I think I am getting Lexus doesn't sell the C-arm bushings separately. Is that true? If they do sell them separately I have access to a hydraulic shop press and have replaced bushings before a few times so bushing replacement would be no biggie.
Old 06-03-07, 01:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Five1OH
Does Lexus sell the control arm bushings separately? I read up a little bit just now and I think I am getting Lexus doesn't sell the C-arm bushings separately. Is that true? If they do sell them separately I have access to a hydraulic shop press and have replaced bushings before a few times so bushing replacement would be no biggie.
Yes, it is sort is true. You can; however, buy after market urethane bushings. On the SC400, the same was said by the dealers for decades, but someone was able to find the part numbers for the bushings themselves so now they can just replace the bushings. The dealers may still try and sell you a full control arm, but since you have a part number you can just order what you need. I'm not sure about the LS though as I too am still new to the LS model so I'm still trying to get up to speed myself on this car.
Old 06-03-07, 02:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lexus doesnt make them but u can get good quality ADUS bushings from australia and Carson Toyota sells bushings (cant remember rubber or poly) under their own brand.
Old 06-03-07, 02:39 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lexus doesnt make them but u can get good quality ADUS bushings from australia and Carson Toyota sells bushings (cant remember rubber or poly) under their own brand.
The Carson one is urethane as I used those for my SC. The do solve the problem, but at least on my SC the ride was very stiff and you have to deal with squeaking. Now, I like stiff and firm suspensions myself, but this was different. You get the stiff feeling without the benefits of the firm/stiff suspension.
Old 06-03-07, 07:42 PM
Five1OH
Driver

I found a few deals. They are both however in California. I won't be in Cali till late this year but just looking right now.

What do you guys think?
203,000 miles $8000 obo. I wonder if I can offer $7 cash in hand.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

only 118k miles. I'm sure the seller would mention a timing belt change if he spent the money on one. He doesn't mention one. I wonder if I can use that to offer 8k cash. Plus it has a black interior!

This one has 188k miles but it not in cali

Last edited by Five1OH; 06-03-07 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 08:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

doubtful that the 2nd guy will go under 9k. even without the 90k service the car KBB's at around 12k.

which he prolly knows.
Old 06-03-07, 09:37 PM
Five1OH
Driver

Still reasonable enough for me though. I hope I can find a few more deals like these when it comes time to purchase .