LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacing LS400 tranny with JDM used one.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 06:46 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing LS400 tranny with JDM used one.

Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing my tranny on a 97 LS with 180K miles.
The issue is the initial tranny engagement. When I put the car in Drive in the morning, it takes a couple of seconds and then I get a major kick when it finally engages.
It might be a problem with the pump or something else inside the tranny - No one knows.
My mechanic said not to even try rebuilding it because transmission shops have no experience with LS trannys because they just don't break that often. Even if they do rebuild it, the tranny will never be as smooth again and will frustrate the heck out of me. I tend to agree with that.
Now, I've done some research and came across a company that imports JDM parts, including transmissions, into the US. They claim low mileage and high quality of their products...
My question to all is: Does anyone have experience with used JDM transmissions?
Here is a link to the company that I'm talking about: www.foreignenginesinc.com
They quoted me a tranny for a 97 LS400 with 35K miles for about $800 delivered to the shop with 1 year money-back guarantee.

Incidentally, my co-worker is Japanese and I asked her if it is true that Japanese used parts are as good as they claim. She said that they don't drive much there because the country is too small and the car ownership is so expensive that if anyone does own a car, especially LS400, they take the most meticulous care of it. It is a matter of pride for them.
Old 06-05-07, 09:23 AM
Celsior400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly right... they dont drive much...

but at the same time.. Japanese Spec stuff are either equally or ALWAYS better than USDM stuff...

obviously...since they made the company right?
Old 06-05-07, 12:56 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caution is suggested when dealing with offers such as this. Within the past 24 hours, I read an article about the Attorney General of Texas having brought charges against a firm selling parts such as this, supposedly from Japan. Photos with the article purported to show old "junk yard" parts, and buyers were being charged 20% re-stocking fee when they returned the "junk". Not saying it's the same, but sounds a lot like it. I think the article was in the Houston Chronicle.
Old 06-05-07, 03:01 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try a drain & fill of your tranny fluid before you decide to replace the entire assembly.