LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Upper Control Arms for 1991 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 10:17 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on OEM UCAs. Also, IIRC, people weren't really thrilled about Arnott's aftermarket air struts compared to OEM.
Old 07-20-07, 10:43 AM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just spoke to a rep at arnott, he did verify that the kit includes both left and right control arms for $199. also, he confirmed that these were new, not remanufactured, and the bushings on them are rubber.
Old 07-21-07, 09:10 AM
stuching
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a air strut from them. It's lifetime warranty. I think the control arms are lifetime also.
Old 07-21-07, 10:29 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilyte
i just spoke to a rep at arnott, he did verify that the kit includes both left and right control arms for $199. also, he confirmed that these were new, not remanufactured, and the bushings on them are rubber.
$199 for a PAIR of UPPER CONTROL ARMS?!!!! Not saying that you didn't call or anything, that is like 66% less than current market price. Now I am [B]REALLY suspect of this place. IMO, run away!!!! RUN FAR,FAR AWAY FROM THESE!!!! Like I said before, I could be totally overreacting, and these may work well. I just dont trust them. Truthfully, I think this is only going to be a quick fix and may eventually fail in a short amount of time in which you will be in the same boat again. Let us know how they turn out. If this place is the real deal, they may be in for ALOT of business.

Lexus is not a cheap car to maintain, or mod; and unfortunately the LS series is probably the most expensive of the series to maintain and do anything with. IMO, I still think you should save up the money and invest in some good OEM parts for such an important component.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-21-07 at 10:32 AM. Reason: a
Old 07-21-07, 03:01 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Have you actually seen one Trukn1 ??
Are you aware how overpriced Lexus parts are !!
I think it's a bit rank to SAY ANYTHING and to be critical without having seen the article in question or to have any knowledge or expeirience regards their goods what so ever!!!!!!
There's a guy here in Aus who's got rubber bushes for the upper control arm and I HAVE ACTUALLY HELD THEM IN MY HANDS so I feel I can offer an opinion and to me they seem to be a better deal than then original self aligning bearing/bushes , prob is it's $280.00 a set for both sides just for the bushes , add in machining and my new trick balljoint for the other end and the cost is way up .
Arnotts would be looking at a far greater turnover and that is way the price is so reasonable .
I myself will ordering two sets straight away .
I might add that I run Arnotts air struts in my car and I'm very pleased with them .
Old 08-12-07, 04:23 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

As an add on to this story , a mate of mine ordered the upper control arms , they arrived here in Aus in 5 days and I have personally had them in my hands ...they are the biz !!!!
Inner bushes look exactly like genuine it's just that they are rubber , but rubber bonded to inner and outer steel parts .
The ball joint is also brand new and very stiff , spot on , I will be ordering a set for myself and another 3 sets for mates who need them .
Way to go Arnotts !!
Old 08-13-07, 03:44 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A UCA is hardly any kind of technological miracle. My guess is these meet or exceed oem.

Wonder what shocks these guys use in their coil over kit?

Last edited by damon; 08-13-07 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-22-07, 12:40 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for $500 a piece, you could get a race shop to make you some tubular UCA's with the same diameter OEM bushing races and a serviceable ball joint. Its not that big a deal and you could run a generic bushing at that to keep cost down. Lots of places make 'em for older muscle cars. Think about it, Chro-mo tubing and some bushing bungs welded up. stronger. lighter and probably cheaper? I have heard nothing but praise for the Arnott pieces, a PAIR for 2 bills, how can you go wrong when bushings alone cost more than that, and the Ball joint is the time bomb on these.
Old 03-29-08, 04:54 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

one of the ball joints in my upper control arm was loose, so i just installed a pair of the arnott upper control arms on my 90 LS. the job took me less than 1.5 hours for both sides (including removal of wheel and shock, didnt have to remove the rotors or brake calipers!)

here are my initial comments:

1) they are almost identical to the oem lexus control arms. the only difference i noticed was that the arnott parts are thicker/beefier, the edges of the wishbone portion are not beveled like the lexus parts.

2) the ball joints are identical to the lexus parts. some people claimed that the arnott ball joint is longer and needed a washer, but i think they didnt notice that arnott supplies a plain castle nut with their arms, like the following picture:

the original lexus nut has a flanged castle nut, like the following picture:

i just reused the original nut, no washer necessary, no problems.

3) the bushings in the arnott arms are identical to the lexus bushings.

only time and miles will tell how these hold up...

Last edited by mobilyte; 03-29-08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 06:32 PM
virtue22
Driver School Candidate

I noticed the Arnott site has New Upper Control Arm Kit for 1990-1992. What is the difference between 89-92, and 93-94. Is there a difference in the UCA for LS 89-94? Anyone else use these? Thanks for your input
Old 04-09-08, 06:31 PM
virtue22
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know if there is a difference?
Old 10-15-09, 08:30 PM
prblmslvr
Driver School Candidate

just got my arnott upper control arms on and so far so good nice and stiff! didnt have any problems quick shipment as well!
Old 01-24-10, 09:47 AM
justincook
Driver School Candidate

Are the control arms the same for both regular suspension and air suspension for 2nd gen cars? I just noticed the web page says air suspension parts.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...47_gid465.html
Old 01-24-10, 10:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

should be the same.
Old 01-24-10, 08:09 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

I thought I read somewhere that you can replace the ball joints... It would be nice to have a polyurethane control arm bushings with new ball joints for more durability and get the maximum life out of them.

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arms for 1991 LS400