LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Something I noticed with the Jbrady intake/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 02:04 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
pls remember that most of us posted 25+mpg are in later model cars, with the 1UZ VVT-i motor which is MUCH more efficient than earlier models when driven with a judicious right foot

ah, I had not considered that option. Thanks.

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Ok, so I didnt go down a crazy hilly road, but it had some nice up and downs. I didnt get the video because I realized that I left the card for my camera on my desk so I had to take a picture with my Black Jack.

It's not my best, but enough to prove a point...

I mean a consistent 30+ mpg over say 400 mile trip. Not just pushing easy on the gas pedal over a short trip down the road, etc.. Heck, I can make my 350Z say 60+ mpg on the trip meter..

Thanks for the pics and taking the time for the example, though!
Old 07-20-07, 02:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I'd much prefer the old calculated method based on how much gas was consumed to mileage over 200+ miles. As nice as these figures are calculated in system, it fluctuates on such a short sampling.

Roughly-if you tank up with 1/4 tank left and your od is reading ~360 miles...
Old 07-20-07, 02:19 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by illcelsior
ah, I had not considered that option. Thanks.

I mean a consistent 30+ mpg over say 400 mile trip. Not just pushing easy on the gas pedal over a short trip down the road, etc.. Heck, I can make my 350Z say 60+ mpg on the trip meter..

Thanks for the pics and taking the time for the example, though!

I get your point, but that was about a 30 mile trip. From one county to another, and back, down a 2-laned highway.
Old 07-20-07, 02:29 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I get your point, but that was about a 30 mile trip. From one county to another, and back, down a 2-laned highway.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-23-07, 08:20 AM
bodiby
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
I'd much prefer the old calculated method based on how much gas was consumed to mileage over 200+ miles. As nice as these figures are calculated in system, it fluctuates on such a short sampling.

Roughly-if you tank up with 1/4 tank left and your od is reading ~360 miles...
I agree. How accurate is the trip computer?
Old 07-23-07, 09:38 AM
d1drift
Driver School Candidate

what is sea foam?
Old 07-23-07, 10:11 AM
illcelsior
Driver

google..

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

1930's to the 21st Century

SEA FOAM was developed originally for the marine market—"That's why the great name SEA FOAM." Fred Fandrei, the founder of SEA FOAM, showed Evinrude Outboard Motors how to solve their stale fuel, varnish and carbon problems with its use. Because the product worked so well, and after many years of experimentation, SEA FOAM became a great problem solver in the automotive after market as well. It is renowned as the finest, most multifaceted and safest petroleum product of our times.

TRANS TUNE is a conditioner that is not a stop leak and is compatible with all automatic transmissions, power steering and hydraulic systems.

DEEP CREEP is a multi use penetrating lubricant and cleaner that powers through stuck parts and dissolves rust, varnish and carbon.

BUGS-B-GONE removes ugly bugs fast in 60 seconds or less and is safe on all surfaces.

Products developed at the request of fleets and repair facilities receive instant market acceptance.
Old 07-23-07, 12:14 PM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

well i witnessed 30+ on my trip to n. carolina. it was about a 400mile trip. i really got close to 40mpg. that is using cruise control the whole way down with very little to non-existant traffic. and no a/c.

and i think using the average mpg is more acurate up to the end of the tank.

Last edited by greenvy2k; 07-23-07 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 01:21 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d1drift
what is sea foam?

I just put another can in the tank. It is an additive like STP, etc. Many folks here like it. I have used it three times and even though I use Shell premium fuel it improved my mileage after the first use. It certainly won't hurt and will clean whatever deposits even if premium fuel is used. Try it to see if your mileage per tank does not improve.
Old 07-23-07, 02:59 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by illcelsior
BUGS-B-GONE removes ugly bugs fast in 60 seconds or less and is safe on all surfaces.
[/B]
That was going to be my next question.
Old 07-23-07, 04:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont have the patience to drive 400 miles at 60 MPH. I'd die.

I'm taking a trip to TN Friday and will get pictures of what I average on the road.
Old 07-24-07, 06:16 AM
pito
Lead Lap

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/14328.shtml

FUEL ECONOMY EPA HIGHWAY (MPG): 25 AND EPA CITY (MPG): 19

All I'm saying is that some of the numbers stated are unbelievable especially for a V8. Some of the numbers you guys are putting up are Hybrid numbers at today's standards. Looks like I need to upgrade to a 98 LS.
Old 07-24-07, 06:33 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Good point bro. I think the best way is to track the tripometer and when you fill up do simple math - divide total miles by gallons and it becomes real clear what you are averaging per tank. The best I have ever gotten on my 95 was 27 -- all highway driving to Miami. The worst was 20 - again all highway.
Old 07-24-07, 07:49 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steveski
Good point bro. I think the best way is to track the tripometer and when you fill up do simple math - divide total miles by gallons and it becomes real clear what you are averaging per tank. The best I have ever gotten on my 95 was 27 -- all highway driving to Miami. The worst was 20 - again all highway.
It's all in the driver, not the car. With aggressive high MPG tactics I routinely get over 30mpg with my BONE STOCK '96 LS on highway trips that involve some big long hills.
Old 07-24-07, 09:46 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Good point bro - so many folks drive fast/aggressive that any car woud get poor mileage. I drive like an old man most of the time. Rarely do I push the car fast and that's when I get around 25 MPG.

Quick Reply: Something I noticed with the Jbrady intake/exhaust