LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Something I noticed with the Jbrady intake/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 09:46 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

27 is believable since I am sure you keep that car up to 100% standards. I need a tune up badly because my LS is a pig on gas. But hey, I am on that pedal, since I enjoy the hell out of my car since I put money into it. But I do mostly city driving anyway. I hit the highway sometimes but that is like 40% of my driving. The other 60% is dealing with morons.
Old 07-24-07, 11:14 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Kinda relevant thread in the 430 forum:
Read CK6Speed's post #4
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=295174
Old 07-24-07, 03:33 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the ticket - tank information is the way to go - now all I need is a 98-00 LS and I can forego the math!
Old 07-25-07, 01:56 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tank information? those instant mpg readings always make me chuckle.... you guys really need to check those numbers
Old 07-25-07, 03:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix
tank information? those instant mpg readings always make me chuckle.... you guys really need to check those numbers
98+ info display also has a "tank mpg" which is an average of ow much gas was consumed over mileage driven....
Old 07-25-07, 07:24 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
98+ info display also has a "tank mpg" which is an average of ow much gas was consumed over mileage driven....
I'm on the same tank...and my Tank AVERAGE is reading 25.4 and I'm just over a quarter of a tank...145 miles. Ive been driving in town about the same distance as on the highway...Friday though I'll run an all highway for about 250 miles or so.
Old 07-25-07, 08:23 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that after I did the lexkost mod, I have to stop my car and empty some gas out of the tank to keep it from over flowing and getting on the paint.

... come on guys get real

... all you get is a small power improvement and some noise... also if you do the ect trick for the trans.that was also in the thread you will lose gas mileage. Also if you want to increase mileage there is a different way to do it.
Old 07-26-07, 09:41 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

well yeah i understand however i'd still want to test it to see how accurate it is
Old 07-27-07, 07:17 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
I noticed that after I did the lexkost mod, I have to stop my car and empty some gas out of the tank to keep it from over flowing and getting on the paint.

... come on guys get real

... all you get is a small power improvement and some noise... also if you do the ect trick for the trans.that was also in the thread you will lose gas mileage. Also if you want to increase mileage there is a different way to do it.

As of right now I'm running without mufflers. from the res. back is nothing. But it seemed to be that when I removed the mufflers, that when I started to see an improvement in fuel economy.
Old 07-28-07, 02:38 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pito
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/14328.shtml

FUEL ECONOMY EPA HIGHWAY (MPG): 25 AND EPA CITY (MPG): 19

All I'm saying is that some of the numbers stated are unbelievable especially for a V8. Some of the numbers you guys are putting up are Hybrid numbers at today's standards. Looks like I need to upgrade to a 98 LS.
I agree with you. There's no way a V8 can make 30 mpg. I'd say 25 mpg for the freeway and 18-20 for locals. Even a late 4 cylinders Honda can make it very hard. You guys keep looking at the Trip Meter saying 32 MPG but can you be sure you keep your gas & RPM constantly 100% like that all the time? I'd say no. It just gives you an estimate for that moment, but it can't calculate exactly the whole distance that you're going. Temperature, road conditions, weight...etc. all add up to the MPG. I've been on several cars that have the Average MPG Trip Meters, but they always end up as 1/2 of that. You want the truth? Fill the tank full, drive it until it's stopped with no more gas, average the mileage by the gallons and you'll get the idea. Make sure you'll bring a spare gas tank to get to the closest gas station. I've done this several times.

The EPA just came out the new law about more than a year ago requiring all automakers to give a better accurate reading on the MPG, but I haven't seen any real changes yet. All automakers aim for the psychological strategy by giving the consumers the idea of saving gas.
Old 07-28-07, 05:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the trip comp on 98-00 cars can tell you your TANK MPG by dividing the miles driven since you last filled up your tank and the amount of gas burned.
Old 07-29-07, 12:17 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

the trip comp on 98-00 cars can tell you your TANK MPG by dividing the miles driven since you last filled up your tank and the amount of gas burned.
You may have your point, but try my method and you'll see. Also, try to keep your gas pedal as much constant as you can. Fill up the tank, drive until it's empty. The tank will get empty a lot sooner than the computer expected. I drive a lot on my job and I always pay attention to how much gas that I spend.
Old 07-29-07, 01:07 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

At least this will put to rest any speculation in what is calculated by the computers and good old miles to gallons used. Go for it guys.
Old 07-30-07, 04:56 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah please, I'm not saying that the V8's we have dont get good mileage, I'm just not convinced that 30+ MPG is accurate. Yesturday, I noticed that if I baby the car and drive at a contant 60 and take my time getting to that speed, my gas needle barely moves. Basically, it comes down to the driver.
Old 07-30-07, 08:02 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

I use a Scangauge which is a device that plugs into the OBD II port on the car. I have it monitoring four parameters on the GAUGE screen to help me drive - TPS, GPH, MPG and either LOD or fWT. On the other screen it is monitoring trip MPG, tank MPG, average speed, and so on. It really really helps. I would hate to drive without it - it would feel like I'm driving blind.

Quick Reply: Something I noticed with the Jbrady intake/exhaust