LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Something I noticed with the Jbrady intake/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 08:04 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
I use a Scangauge which is a device that plugs into the OBD II port on the car. I have it monitoring four parameters on the GAUGE screen to help me drive - TPS, GPH, MPG and either LOD or fWT. On the other screen it is monitoring trip MPG, tank MPG, average speed, and so on. It really really helps. I would hate to drive without it - it would feel like I'm driving blind.
Where do you have it mounted? A picture would be nice as well, if possible.
Old 07-30-07, 08:06 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonyman
Where do you have it mounted? A picture would be nice as well, if possible.
i have it mounted on the steering wheel shaft. It blocks my view of the trip odometer but that's not a big deal because I can just move the wheel down to see that. I'll try to get pictures for you guys soon.
Old 07-30-07, 09:51 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Alright... I drove 235 miles on Friday and the numbers were not as impressive as I thought. I drove about 80mph most of the way down with cruise set and the A/C on about half of the time and got 27 MPG tank average. I didnt think it was impressive so I didnt snap a picture. I dunno, if you could drive that car at 60MPH on a 3 laned highway for 235 miles, Id say go for it, but I dont have that kind of patience...Im sure you could get a LITTLE bit better if you did that.

Im sure you could get at the MOST 30 mpg average if you drive it easily.
Old 08-02-07, 06:10 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys say like your cars always run on a smooth surface and that you'll never have to accellerate. Why would you still believe the MPG meter while it's not reflecting the complete situation? When it says the MPG, it only monitors for that moment, and not the actual MPG that you can get out of the car for real. How many times in your life do you get to go on the freeway for 235 miles continuously? Come on, be real!
Old 08-03-07, 12:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
You guys say like your cars always run on a smooth surface and that you'll never have to accellerate. Why would you still believe the MPG meter while it's not reflecting the complete situation? When it says the MPG, it only monitors for that moment, and not the actual MPG that you can get out of the car for real. How many times in your life do you get to go on the freeway for 235 miles continuously? Come on, be real!
how many times must i repeat myself

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
98+ info display also has a "tank mpg" which is an average of ow much gas was consumed over mileage driven....
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the trip comp on 98-00 cars can tell you your TANK MPG by dividing the miles driven since you last filled up your tank and the amount of gas burned.
Old 08-03-07, 07:03 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
You'd be suprised...I happen to travel alot. I went, according to the tripometer, 535 miles on that tank of gas...then I divided that by 21.5 which is how large our tanks are. That was around 345 miles of highway and 190 of city.
Old 08-05-07, 09:24 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drove back and forth to New Jersey to see my brother after filling up the tank full .. total 220 miles the computer TANK MPG says 28.4 which was like 70% interstate / 30% town

I'll see what it says in terms of approx range after its almost empty and I fill up again.

Just thought I'd throw in my mpg since I was able to finally take a real world long trip. (I do have the Jbrady mod)

*this was going 70-75 on interstate.. sometimes 80.. A/C on 80% of the time since it was 92 degrees out ick.. I wanted to just relax at 65 on I78 but of course good luck .. you'll get killed hah

Last edited by timer00; 08-05-07 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added more info