LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Some progress pics of the paint job...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 12:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ok, you arent debadging the emblems, but how about shaving the antenna?
Old 07-31-07, 09:38 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ok, you arent debadging the emblems, but how about shaving the antenna?
Why does everyone like debadging the car? I like my badges I'm going to keep the antenna for now. I like listening to my NPR from time-to-time, and all the aftermarket antennas I've seen do not work well.

Speaking of which--if anyone knows of a good aftermarket antenna, please do share
Old 07-31-07, 10:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Suneet
Why does everyone like debadging the car? I like my badges I'm going to keep the antenna for now. I like listening to my NPR from time-to-time, and all the aftermarket antennas I've seen do not work well.

Speaking of which--if anyone knows of a good aftermarket antenna, please do share
iirc autoloc makes on that can be integrated into the rear window kinda like the one in later LS'?
Old 08-10-07, 12:28 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Well I went and visited the shop again today... the car still isn't done, but they are almost done prepping it.

It has been STRIPPED. All chrome mouldings, all weather stripping, door handles.. everything is gone.. and pretty much every inch of the car has been sanded down. There is no surface that looks like it has paint that hasn't been scoured.

I didn't have my camera with me at the time.. I should have snapped some pics.
Old 08-10-07, 01:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

paint jobs usually take this long?
Old 08-10-07, 01:46 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll bet the anticipation is killing you...esp since this is your baby.

It's going to look great--can't wait to see the "after" pics!
Old 08-10-07, 02:22 PM
phy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
paint jobs usually take this long?
depends on how much work load the shop has. I know it takes about 1-2 weeks for 1-2 people to completely strip the entire car and sand it (good sand jobs take forever) Than another few days to fix dings and dents. Than Body filler on certain spots to make sure everythings perfect. Finnaly Primer which could take at least 1-2 days to fully cure. Than another 2-3 days to paint + clearcoat. Than at least 1-2 more days to wetsand and compound and polish. Could easily take 3 weeks if theres only 1-3 people working on it if its not a huge shop.

Last edited by phy; 08-10-07 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 06:22 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phy
depends on how much work load the shop has. I know it takes about 1-2 weeks for 1-2 people to completely strip the entire car and sand it (good sand jobs take forever) Than another few days to fix dings and dents. Than Body filler on certain spots to make sure everythings perfect. Finnaly Primer which could take at least 1-2 days to fully cure. Than another 2-3 days to paint + clearcoat. Than at least 1-2 more days to wetsand and compound and polish. Could easily take 3 weeks if theres only 1-3 people working on it and its not a huge shop.
I used to paint cars for a living. No body shop could live on those estimates because production would be down and not generating enough revenue for the shop (unless they're charging for $16K paint jobs a pop). You could turn around a car in a week, depending on how much bodywork (which requires the most amount of time usually). Everything else, from filler to wetsand, is pretty much 12 hours at most.

The shortest time I myself have done the entire process was about 4 days, working 10-12 hour days.
Old 08-10-07, 06:31 PM
phy
Driver

Originally Posted by avalon42
I used to paint cars for a living. No body shop could live on those estimates because production would be down and not generating enough revenue for the shop (unless they're charging for $16K paint jobs a pop). You could turn around a car in a week, depending on how much bodywork (which requires the most amount of time usually). Everything else, from filler to wetsand, is pretty much 12 hours at most.

The shortest time I myself have done the entire process was about 4 days, working 10-12 hour days.
Also depends on what kinda primer/paint/clear u use. I know some clear coats take 24 hours to fully cure.
Old 08-10-07, 06:56 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phy
Also depends on what kinda primer/paint/clear u use. I know some clear coats take 24 hours to fully cure.
I use PPG products. I've also used House of Kolor and Dupont paint products (not as much), their cure times are very similar.

Clear coat with proper amount of hardener mixed in shouldn't take longer than 8-12 hours max to cure to touch, but it really doesn't actually cure until at least 6 months later when all the solvent finally escape. Thats why they always tell you to take care of the paint and not to use wax on it during the first 9 months. I've painted cars at about 9PM at night, and had them ready to wetsand and buff by 9AM in the morning.

Last edited by avalon42; 08-10-07 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 03:40 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

My car had a lot of bodywork that needed to be done... I had all that roof damage, which itself took considerable amount of time, and I had a ton of dings all over on each door, as well as som serious rock chips on the hood. I also had damaged the driver's door while reversing in an underground parking lot.. so that took some time as well.

Only one guy is working on my car, and they have a full shop so I'm sure they're not spending 8 man hours a day on my car by any means...

I know that it did take them a full day just to remove the chrome stripping around the windows, and all the weather stripper in the door jams and windows.

I wish it would be done quicker! But atleast I can see that even though they are working slowly... they are doing a very thorough job. I will have all dings and dents removed! The car should be flaweless when its done...

Also.. they are not using any bondo anywhere on the car. They're welding metal everywhere...

I really wish they would go faster, and they probably could.. but how do you make a body shop do work faster? They are going to do it at the rate they will.. If I yell or get angry, I run the risk of them doing a poor quality job, and I would rather wait and be patient now then have them muck it up..

Last edited by Suneet; 08-11-07 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 05:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i still think u should have waited for a kit+rims at the same time

but i understand ur locational issues
Old 08-12-07, 12:25 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Suneet
I wish it would be done quicker! But atleast I can see that even though they are working slowly... they are doing a very thorough job. I will have all dings and dents removed! The car should be flaweless when its done...

Also.. they are not using any bondo anywhere on the car. They're welding metal everywhere...

I really wish they would go faster, and they probably could.. but how do you make a body shop do work faster? They are going to do it at the rate they will.. If I yell or get angry, I run the risk of them doing a poor quality job, and I would rather wait and be patient now then have them muck it up..
Welding metal everywhere? Is that the old "tinning" method you're referring to? I haven't seen that done in years, but yea, you DON'T want bondo on the roof of your car, or anywhere for that matter. When it gets old it cracks and looks nasty. Shops over-use it in my opinion.

If you can, please post pictures of side shots so I can see the orange peel (or what's left of it after the cut and buff "wetsand"). I like what I see from the pics, brings back memories...but all I look forward to nowadays is work in front of a screen in a cubicle working on TPS reports...
Old 08-12-07, 12:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Welding metal everywhere? Is that the old "tinning" method you're referring to? I haven't seen that done in years, but yea, you DON'T want bondo on the roof of your car, or anywhere for that matter. When it gets old it cracks and looks nasty. Shops over-use it in my opinion.

If you can, please post pictures of side shots so I can see the orange peel (or what's left of it after the cut and buff "wetsand"). I like what I see from the pics, brings back memories...but all I look forward to nowadays is work in front of a screen in a cubicle working on TPS reports...
lol, love hte Office Space reference
Old 08-12-07, 02:55 AM
phy
Driver

They have painted the car yet so I don't think he can get any pictures yet . Cept the gas tank cover. But I dont think they wetsanded a buffed it yet since they're probably waiting to do the whole car at once.

Quick Reply: Some progress pics of the paint job...