LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HID's Fitted...Pic's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 12:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
When you put in the HID light Kit the dc dc converters change the voltage from 12dc to 12000vdc the HID bulb has no wires in the bulb it has a high voltage arc and dont look directly into the bulb it is to bright and could burn your eyes.The average price here in California is about $500.00 for the kit and when the bulbs burn out 3000 hours of use they cost $200.00 each. I have put the HID kit in my 2006 camry and wow is all I can say . I don't recommend using the HID kit on the older lexus because you only have low beams no high beams. The HID kit is really used for the four head light system. The HID bulb cannot be a low/high bulb only a low beam bulb. I have also heard that on Ebay you can buy them for around $200-240 for the good kits.
o.O

a good kit shouldnt be more than $400-450 (see xenondepots selling price for the FULL phillips kits)

rebased Philips bulbs arent more than $120-150/PAIR (4300k)

and you can get a DECENT name brand (mtec/McCulloch/etc..) for around $300.
Old 08-01-07, 02:50 AM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read my post , you can get Hi/Lo single headlight kits as they use a magnetic field to move the bulb , my unit comes with a 1 year warranty , good enough for me .
I get mine straight from the supplier , over there with the exchange rate they would cost about $180.00 .
Hootty has a Philips unit in his and parked side by side you can't tell the difference except for one thing !!
We both keep our wallets in front of the gear lever so his car sits higher as he has less cash in his wallet !!
Old 08-01-07, 04:50 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Yeah I wouldnt go with any $300+ kit for HID's. I have had two kits one in my Legend and now in my LS. Both kits were under $200. Both have lasted well and work flawlessly.

Yes they do have hi/lo beam, they are the bi-xenon bulbs. They are available in the 9004 bulb option as well.

Yes some cars will give more glare than others, but so what. Am I supposed to leave my car stock because other's maybe discomforted, NO!! How many highway crashes have there been because of wreckless HID use?
Old 08-01-07, 12:39 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not just about blinding oncoming cars--it's about proper patterning. Even if the HID kit puts out 3-4x the lumens of a stock headlight, it does nothing for you without proper patterning. You wind up seeing "more" of the side of the road, etc without the light being concentrated on the road ahead of you.

Until someone comes out with an aftermarket projector setup for the 1LS, adding HID will only intensify the awful pattern from our glass housings.
Old 08-01-07, 07:21 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

I don't know about all that Akxx , I have way better headlights than I had , I just don't have to strain to see like I did with even the best you can get normal type bulbs , I still have a good cut-out pattern just like the originals , I don't get flashed by oncoming cars so it can't be too bad , I'm using way less wattage and they will last almost forever , PLUS they didn't cost the earth !!
Whats to complain about ??
All I can say is have you personally seen these units on an LS400 ?
Or are you just going off other cars and brands ??
Old 08-01-07, 08:08 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Here's what I did because I did not like the stock lights.
Attached Thumbnails HID's Fitted...Pic's-light-20001.jpg  
Old 08-02-07, 12:07 AM
phy
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Here's what I did because I did not like the stock lights.
which kit is that? That looks amazing .
Old 08-02-07, 01:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by phy
which kit is that? That looks amazing .
it isnt a kit, mike custom-fit a set of aftermarket headlights (among other things) to make his pre MC UCF20 the ONLY one i know of running projector headlights.
Old 08-02-07, 07:17 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexkost, I'm still hoping you will contact me so that I can try to copy this project on the 1st gen cars...
Old 08-02-07, 11:46 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Suneet
Lexkost, I'm still hoping you will contact me so that I can try to copy this project on the 1st gen cars...
Sorry but I don't even have time to do finish up my own car let alone take on a new project... but don't give up on me, I will keep you posted.
Plus I am working on HID projector fogs that go in the bumper... Stay tuned !
Old 08-02-07, 11:56 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i want those projectors too looks good lex. where did u get them from originally? i know u retro fitted them.
Old 08-02-07, 12:04 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY NICE. i have the jdm housings iwth H4 hid kit and there is no glare and lots of light on the road. the H4 lens is patterned differently than the 9004 US lens.
Old 08-02-07, 12:13 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by richonenz
I still have a good cut-out pattern just like the originals , I don't get flashed by oncoming cars so it can't be too bad ,
You must have different pattern lenses down under, because US-spec 1LS lenses provide a horrible pattern without any nice cutoff.

How do you like the performance of the high-beam HID? Do you find that it throws light up into the trees or down the road?
Old 08-02-07, 12:55 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akxx
You must have different pattern lenses down under, because US-spec 1LS lenses provide a horrible pattern without any nice cutoff.

How do you like the performance of the high-beam HID? Do you find that it throws light up into the trees or down the road?
i'm pretty sure every other country has the H4 (JDM) housings, which provide a much better cutoff and pattern.
Old 08-02-07, 01:42 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 19psi
i'm pretty sure every other country has the H4 (JDM) housings, which provide a much better cutoff and pattern.
That's what I figured--we never get the good stuff until much later!

Quick Reply: HID's Fitted...Pic's