LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what have u raced so far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 04:04 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
you get them on highway and they are toast...both of them. I don't race in my car, i've been in way too much trouble to think about it anymore...I have **** luck lol, but I have raced a G35 in the past...I got him

On a race track- the results would be much different imo. The VQ35DE is a potent motor.
Old 08-19-07, 10:57 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by illcelsior
On a race track- the results would be much different imo. The VQ35DE is a potent motor.
Well yea, the coupe is pretty much made to handle corners like a "sportscar" It's as close to a sportscar without buying a Corvette...

Personally, I hate the look of the G's...they look like insects.
Old 08-20-07, 01:36 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Well yea, the coupe is pretty much made to handle corners like a "sportscar" It's as close to a sportscar without buying a Corvette...

Personally, I hate the look of the G's...they look like insects.

That's the thing most people forget or don't want to realize...

A real race, at a track, involves more than just pushing the right pedal down.

Hence one reason why street racing is bad..

Z/G's do well in their $ range.

peace,
Old 08-21-07, 11:26 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point(s). My car has been modified from a suspension perspective and it handles quite well compared to OEM. It is stiff, responsive and has little body roll. However, it does not compare, nor could it ever compare to a sport sedan like a G35/M35 or 5 series BMW. It is just too heavy. Now I think it would be interesting to take mine to a track and run it against a like sized sedan. I think it would do well with the mods I have put into it.

As for straight line speed I don't race mine on the street - not worth the tickets or potential wreck and it just is not a race car. In my earlier days I did run against 2 cars - a Z28 Camaro and beat him outright and a WRX from a rolling start and he passed me at about 85 MPH.

Mine is just a black cruiser that looks fast sitting still. I get the S8's, AMG's and M's that pass me and then slow down to get a closer look - not bad for my old LS
Old 08-21-07, 01:13 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by steveski
Good point(s). My car has been modified from a suspension perspective and it handles quite well compared to OEM. It is stiff, responsive and has little body roll. However, it does not compare, nor could it ever compare to a sport sedan like a G35/M35 or 5 series BMW. It is just too heavy. Now I think it would be interesting to take mine to a track and run it against a like sized sedan. I think it would do well with the mods I have put into it.

As for straight line speed I don't race mine on the street - not worth the tickets or potential wreck and it just is not a race car. In my earlier days I did run against 2 cars - a Z28 Camaro and beat him outright and a WRX from a rolling start and he passed me at about 85 MPH.

Mine is just a black cruiser that looks fast sitting still. I get the S8's, AMG's and M's that pass me and then slow down to get a closer look - not bad for my old LS

What suspension mods have you done?

I have recently added the JIC FLT-A2 coilovers. I have had it on the track before and after the suspension change. And I agree with you, it's easy to improve on the OE suspension when we are talking about sport.

I wonder how many of us have had our LS on a real race track? It's not exactly the type of car you see out there often.

I believe with enough preparation the LS could compare to the likes of 5 series BMW or G35, etc. But, out of the box, we are talking too much of a generation gap. (at least me with the UCF11) Newer cars/tech are way better in the handling and braking dept. than cars were 10+ years ago. Let alone the HP increase and variable valve timing, etc.

Furthermore I will add that the LS fairs very well. The suspension is such that offers both performance and comfort (wishbone). As you mention; It's just too damn heavy to compete without a healthy diet, suspension prep, and most of all - a competent driver.

Peace.
Old 08-21-07, 01:50 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on the track too.

Road course it would have a hard as time on, just way to much understeer.

If you had it on daytona speedway...different story.
Old 08-21-07, 08:35 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to knock anyone, other than running FI, why would you want to track our cars?

Isn't that along the same lines of trying to get the Titanic to dodge icebergs?

Call me crazy, but I like bugs.

Old 08-21-07, 11:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
Not to knock anyone, other than running FI, why would you want to track our cars?

because we can :duh:
Old 08-22-07, 07:46 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Depends on the track too.

Road course it would have a hard as time on, just way to much understeer.

If you had it on daytona speedway...different story.
Trust me; There is not too much "understeer" on a road course.
Old 08-22-07, 07:47 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Isn't that along the same lines of trying to get the Titanic to dodge icebergs?

All my cars see the track. There is no exception.

They handle MUCH better than you are giving them credit for.

I have plenty of other, better built, track cars. But, I still very much enjoy the LS on a road course. It's just in my blood. And my profession.
Old 08-22-07, 08:44 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 gs430

The homocide list:

these are all cars i beat at a drag

1. bmw 2007 530xi (3 times) a v6--but very impressive..but he still lost
2. G35 2004 sedan (joke)
3. Chevy Camaro 1997 375hp w/ intake and exhasut mods
4. GTI
5. I think it was a 2003 - Nissan 350z

These Kids didnt know what hit them...

you shuda seen how confident they were..it was pathetic...like a mouse against a elephant..butt the beemer was impressive.

Btw--

I have no Mods..

yet...

hahah..so we can only imagine what will happen once I get my SRT and the other things i go on my list :-)

these were all street races...now i get bashedd :-(

people dont know...we DONT have tracks in NYC!! (i think) cant find any at least
Old 08-22-07, 10:53 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so i kinda raced a BMW x5 v8 2005ish in 85S from greenville. I trailed him until i realized we were cruisin at 110. the LS seemed unfazed. I didn't have the ***** to keep going. we did do a 60-100 once, he won but not by that much. I was impressed by my old girl... yet again.

Pretty much any LS thats 98+ is a beast. I can't wait to find a cheap one.
Old 08-22-07, 11:26 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by illcelsior
All my cars see the track. There is no exception.

They handle MUCH better than you are giving them credit for.

I have plenty of other, better built, track cars. But, I still very much enjoy the LS on a road course. It's just in my blood. And my profession.
Oh, Im not doubting in the capabilities of a modified LS400, but I don't think it was built for track on stock suspension.

Now if I throw about $1-2K in suspension, maybe...
Old 08-22-07, 02:31 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me crazy, but I like bugs.

Calling you out on this one--lumping that upcoming GT-R into the same category as a G35 is like comparing a stock SC300 to a BPU+++ MkIV!!

Sure they may have many similarities including chassis and basic engine, but.... (!!!)
Old 08-22-07, 02:38 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akxx
Calling you out on this one--lumping that upcoming GT-R into the same category as a G35 is like comparing a stock SC300 to a BPU+++ MkIV!!

Sure they may have many similarities including chassis and basic engine, but.... (!!!)
Oh no, I was referring to the cosmetic headlights. They look the same as the new G35....

Quick Reply: what have u raced so far?