LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what have u raced so far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 03:11 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by illcelsior

What suspension mods have you done?

I have recently added the JIC FLT-A2 coilovers. I have had it on the track before and after the suspension change. And I agree with you, it's easy to improve on the OE suspension when we are talking about sport.

I wonder how many of us have had our LS on a real race track? It's not exactly the type of car you see out there often.

I believe with enough preparation the LS could compare to the likes of 5 series BMW or G35, etc. But, out of the box, we are talking too much of a generation gap. (at least me with the UCF11) Newer cars/tech are way better in the handling and braking dept. than cars were 10+ years ago. Let alone the HP increase and variable valve timing, etc.

Furthermore I will add that the LS fairs very well. The suspension is such that offers both performance and comfort (wishbone). As you mention; It's just too damn heavy to compete without a healthy diet, suspension prep, and most of all - a competent driver.

Peace.
I have Bilstein HD's with H&R springs, Tom's STB, lower bracing, rear addco anti-sway, rear member reinforcements and poly bushings. It is a pretty standard modified set up but add the 245's up front and 285's in the rear and it is pretty sporty. I wish I had coilovers for adjustability - the Bilstein/H&R set up is nice but no adjustability to make it stiffer, especially up front. One big need is a tighter ratio steering rack. That is the only thing I truly dislike about the LS. The only option is to take the OEM out and get it rebuilt since no other Lexus rack will fit.

I would take mine to a track and should to see how it really performs. It is stiff and fairly repsonsive. Sure, I could drive a G or 5 series but they are everywhere. I think you are right an LS could hang with a G or 5 with the right setup. At the end of the day, they may have us on acceleration and handling but we win on styling, comfort, reliability and uniquness
Old 08-22-07, 09:04 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyLexyNy
I have a 2001 gs430

The homocide list:

these are all cars i beat at a drag

1. bmw 2007 530xi (3 times) a v6--but very impressive..but he still lost

3. Chevy Camaro 1997 375hp w/ intake and exhasut mods

These Kids didnt know what hit them...

you shuda seen how confident they were..it was pathetic...like a mouse against a elephant..butt the beemer was impressive.

I have no Mods..
BMW's are inline sixes. You beat a heavy AWD bimmer with an underpowered engine, way to go. Oh and it's BIMMER not BEEMER.

375hp Camaro?

If the Camaro even knew you were racing they must have been terrible at driving it. You would get your butt handed to you in a 1/4 mile or an all out race into the triple digits with a competent driver.
Old 08-22-07, 10:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by illcelsior
Trust me; There is not too much "understeer" on a road course.
You serious?

Man, on a road course, if you took a turn as fast as a G35 could youd slide right off the road. What would you do, drift the long-*** LS?
Old 08-22-07, 10:07 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BiGLeX 400
BMW's are inline sixes. You beat a heavy AWD bimmer with an underpowered engine, way to go. Oh and it's BIMMER not BEEMER.

375hp Camaro?

If the Camaro even knew you were racing they must have been terrible at driving it. You would get your butt handed to you in a 1/4 mile or an all out race into the triple digits with a competent driver.
LMAO...he had to miss like...EVERY gear...twice.

Was this a V8 Camaro? They are rated at 275hp...

Camaros are tanks, so they are easy.
Old 08-22-07, 10:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS

maybe it was a V6 camaro?

those things are slow as hell
Old 08-23-07, 12:36 AM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

It must be a V8 if he claims it has 375hp. No way a GM V6 would put up with that kind of power unless it was a GNX or Typhoon.

Easy? Tanks?

Camaros weigh less than the LS and GS. The HP rating varies among model years. In 1993 the Z28 made 275 HP/325 TQ and in 2001 the Z28 made 310 HP/340 TQ
Old 08-23-07, 06:01 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You serious?

Man, on a road course, if you took a turn as fast as a G35 could youd slide right off the road. What would you do, drift the long-*** LS?
Extremely serious.

Most complaints about cars come from incorrect driver input.

I can assure you that if I took a turn as fast as a "G35" I certainly would not slide off the road due to understeer.

Most people experience understeer (more than they desire) due to way too much steering input.

A little professional instruction goes a long way.

Btw, I own a Z33 (350Z). The G35 'sister' car. And while my LS doesn't turn lap times like my Z. It certainly has no issues staying on the track, pointed in the right direction.
Old 08-23-07, 09:36 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BiGLeX 400
It must be a V8 if he claims it has 375hp. No way a GM V6 would put up with that kind of power unless it was a GNX or Typhoon.

Easy? Tanks?

Camaros weigh less than the LS and GS. The HP rating varies among model years. In 1993 the Z28 made 275 HP/325 TQ and in 2001 the Z28 made 310 HP/340 TQ
Any coupe would weigh less than a sedan with a V8, but it's heavy for what it is. Yea in 2001 it received a bad boost in power, and they are pretty fast but still very heavy and bulky which a sports car shouldn't be. I think the mustang was lighter, but i'll check into that.
Old 08-23-07, 01:00 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

hmm..

well he knew we were racing it was a friend!!

it was a manual...

it wasnt long.. it was about a quarter mile...and the road slightly went up hill...

on take off he has more tire spin then me too..

but he is a mechanic..so im sure he knew how he was taking offf

---either way

I won. why would I lie?

and HEYYYYY the ""bimmer" is a fast car...the 2007 530xi is competition for the 2001 430 -- he was pretty close....it wasnt slaughter...g35s are ROADKILL

but yeah

-- camaro.. was OWNED.

and he admitted it..even though he asked me last week to race again..and we wud bet our cars...i think he did some mods that he was planing on...and is gonna come bak with vengance..lol

but the 530xi seemed to be more threating than his camaro..

Next time I'll make a video for you guys :-)
Old 08-23-07, 01:58 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Haven't really had the chance to race anyone......we don't have a local track and on the streets, very few people want to line up.

I do like going up a interstate hill at 90+ and watching almost all the traffic become specks in the mirror.
Old 08-23-07, 02:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by SexyLexyNy
hmm..

well he knew we were racing it was a friend!!

it was a manual...

it wasnt long.. it was about a quarter mile...and the road slightly went up hill...

on take off he has more tire spin then me too..

but he is a mechanic..so im sure he knew how he was taking offf

---either way

I won. why would I lie?

and HEYYYYY the ""bimmer" is a fast car...the 2007 530xi is competition for the 2001 430 -- he was pretty close....it wasnt slaughter...g35s are ROADKILL

but yeah

-- camaro.. was OWNED.

and he admitted it..even though he asked me last week to race again..and we wud bet our cars...i think he did some mods that he was planing on...and is gonna come bak with vengance..lol

but the 530xi seemed to be more threating than his camaro..

Next time I'll make a video for you guys :-)
we still dont know if it was a V8 (he 99% should have won, he either cant drive it, or its a V6).

ESPECIALLY off the line, the MUCH more aggressive gearing on the camarao would have you.
Old 08-24-07, 06:49 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Its definitely a V8 -- but it was an automatic!

I'll let you know about round two!!!

As soon as I get my Tranny fixed (Leaking from the Main seal)
Old 08-24-07, 06:19 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Race An 03 Audi 1.8t, 00 Audi 1.8t Partially Modified, 98 GS300 Partially Modified, 07 Subaru WRX Partial Modified.
I Did Pretty Decent Skunked The Audi Fo Sure Not Even A Challenge. The GS300 Caught Me Only Once But Beat It The Rest Of The Way. The WRX Was Hanging On Its Tail. Wanna Race Another One Since My Muffler Deletion Happen.
Old 08-25-07, 01:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
I Race An 03 Audi 1.8t, 00 Audi 1.8t Partially Modified, 98 GS300 Partially Modified, 07 Subaru WRX Partial Modified.
I Did Pretty Decent Skunked The Audi Fo Sure Not Even A Challenge. The GS300 Caught Me Only Once But Beat It The Rest Of The Way. The WRX Was Hanging On Its Tail. Wanna Race Another One Since My Muffler Deletion Happen.
the WRX properly driven will rape you any day of the week. only LS that could touch it is the 460.

i was soooooo close to buying a GC8 after my old LS died >.<
Old 08-25-07, 11:30 AM
Dutch
Pole Position

man, i dont race anyone on the street. even in my faster cars.
yesterday i was driving to pick up some tires for the LEX in my talon and a TA WS6 pulled up next to me revving his motor and i waved him off b/c its not worth the gas or extra wear on my motor. i keep it easy on the streets then hit hard on the course. i also dont live by any tracks(other than dirt ovals) but SCCA has autox events every once in awhile i hit up and the drags maybe once a year. when i was young i used to run my cars hard on the streets but they broke often and found out it wasnt worth the money. i drive alot better now and save tons on gas and maintenance.

Quick Reply: what have u raced so far?