LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone ever think their lex is too old?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 01:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

id hafta agree, Legends are pretty solid cars.

but would i buy one? no.

im not a fan of fwd (ignore the fact my DD is tho )
Old 08-23-07, 01:51 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder honda/acura know how to make rear wheel drive car other than the NSX?
Old 08-23-07, 02:13 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexie
I wonder honda/acura know how to make rear wheel drive car other than the NSX?
Or S2000? Anyway, sure, every car manufacturer "CAN" make whatever they want. What it comes down to is company policy and vision. Honda/Acura for the time being doesn't feel the majority of their customers care for the RWD vs FWD debate. They are not a company with near unlimited amount of capital like Toyota/Lexus where they can just make anything they want. They have to pick their battles carefully. I think their SH-AWD is a good choice. They can be more like the Audi agaist their euro competitors.

As for the Legend. This was a very unique car. It was FWD, but didn't suffer from torque steer because it was a longitudinal mounted V6 with equal half shafts. IMHO, my Legend Coupes drove better than my 93 SC400. Much more sporty and fun.

Back to the topic. I really am a UCF20+ fan. I like the that body style much more than the UCF10 which for me personally never did much. Great car no doubt, just not my style. What I like about the UCF20 is the more squared rear end and the tail lights. What I like ever more about the 98+ is the revised headlights and corner nights. That is what made me buy an 99 LS400. To be honest, I've owned the older SC400 and ES300 before and I think those cars are really outdated.
Old 08-23-07, 07:02 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 90-00 is definitely my favorite year range of the LS. I have a 95 and will keep it when I by a 04-06 430 (another favorite year range). I get many comments on the car because of it's styling, size and comfort. I remember buying a new 99 Avalon XLS and spent a small fortune modifying it. I sold it and kept my LS even though everyone told me it would be dated and I wouldn't like it. Now it is 12 years old and still looking good - I drive it daily and for now wouldn't part with it
Old 08-23-07, 07:27 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

I don't feel like my car is too old. But then again, a year ago I didn't feel that my '86.5 Supra was too old either.
Old 08-23-07, 07:34 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I was a proud owner of 3 Acura Legend Coupes. They are by far some of the best cars I've ever owned. I rank my 99 LS400 better over all than my Legend, but I rank my Legend higher on my list of cars I enjoyed more....The 98+ LS for my style is the oldest LS400 I'd personally buy
It's funny, there is a lot of crossover on the LS400/legend forums....I guess both cars appeal to certain people on a style/comfort/driving level. And...they look really good in a driveway together . I couldn't give up either, the legend has a low slung sporty feeling the LS doesn't, and the LS has that V8 grunt and quiet, comfy cabin that are addictive. The C32 engine in the legend has been known to go over 270k, with BHG being the only real achilles heel of the engine, so it's no slouch.

There are several newer LS430s and SC430s in my building parking lot, but the 99 LS400 for me outstyles them all. The 90s were pretty much the peak of design for the car shapes I like (legend, SC300, LS400, boxy Benz, etc).
The 290hp/300tq doesn't hurt either, or the interior which is still as nice (or close) as some higher end german cars.
Old 08-23-07, 09:59 AM
mac6694
Driver

I have to admit, I was not expecting what I got when I bought this car.

I paid for it in one sum, no payments, and it wasn't a lot; it needed a battery, a new EGR pipe, some tires. This car is solid. Everythign still works, from the car phone to the cd changer to the tape deck, to each and every little electric motorized doodad in the interior. To top it all off, I sometimes have to look at my guage cluster to make sure the car is indeed on, becasue of how quiet the car runs. My daughters are in love with the 'Alexis' (they're 4 and 5) and tend to fall asleep in it on road trips easier than before.

The car has power, but that power is restrained by a comfortable ride setup that handles nicely while still cushioning nearly every large bump I encounter.

I have but one complaint about this car, and that is the shape of the taillights; I would have done it differently, but I absolutely look the look of this car's front end. It's aggressive but not ugly. And the first-gen cars have become a par tof history; look on Wikipedia to see what is said about the first-generation LS400s and then look at another model. Nowhere (IMO) can you find another car for the price that holds such comfort and reliability that most new, modern cars cannot compare to; and you will be hard pressed to find another car for the current price that still (STILL) represents a status symbol. The old ESs I've seen simply don't compare to these cars, so its not just the brand, its the car.
Old 08-23-07, 10:50 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Old or not? it all comes down to your personality.

Hey appreciate what U have.

Or Go buy a brand new car today; then 3 or 4 years later, U will be asking the same question here: is my car too old??

Don't forget, that is how car makers make the money by keep changing the shape (sure with some new technical stuff added!) of the car to make you or your friends or whoever feel your car is 'OLD'. If everybody keep the car for over 15 years or longer, they will

Last edited by lexie; 08-23-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 11:04 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
id hafta agree, Legends are pretty solid cars.

but would i buy one? no.

im not a fan of fwd (ignore the fact my DD is tho )
I use to believe that I would absolutely take a RWD SC 400 over anything FWD. That's until I test drove a Acura Legend Coupe... now I own one.
Old 08-23-07, 12:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
It's funny, there is a lot of crossover on the LS400/legend forums....I guess both cars appeal to certain people on a style/comfort/driving level. And...they look really good in a driveway together . I couldn't give up either, the legend has a low slung sporty feeling the LS doesn't, and the LS has that V8 grunt and quiet, comfy cabin that are addictive. The C32 engine in the legend has been known to go over 270k, with BHG being the only real achilles heel of the engine, so it's no slouch.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that after the Legend Acura pretty much took a downward turn. There was nothing left for us Legend owners to buy. The 96 RL surely wasn't it. The only logical choice after Acura seemingly abandoned us was to move to Lexus. Sure, it wasn't as sporty feeling as Acura, but it was just as or some may argue more reliable, and just like Acura was still a good bargin for what you got compared to the German competition. One of the great things about the Legend was the transmission and trim options. People don't realize back then the Coupe and Sedan had different chassis. It wasn't just a two door sedan. Plus you could get the 230 HP engine and 6-Speeed manual transmission. I loved my 6-Speed Coupe. Where else could you find a 6-Speed manual transmission in a luxury sedan/coupe back in 1993?
Old 08-23-07, 12:21 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I use to believe that I would absolutely take a RWD SC 400 over anything FWD. That's until I test drove a Acura Legend Coupe... now I own one.
I know we are a but off topic, but my story is I bought the 91 Legend Coupe first. Then I looked at the SC400. Nice car, but really no sport in it at all. Ended up with a 95 Legend LS Coupe, then gave that car to my fiance at the time and bought a 93 LS Coupe 6-Speed manual. Years later I did end up buying a used SC400, but it just wasn't the same. The SC400 has a nice V8 torque, but in stock form still as absolutely no sport in it at all and my 230HP V6 6-Speed Coupe put down similar dyno numbers as the 250 hp V8 and did similar performance numbers as well. The SC feels like your driving a boat. The car was just not for me. If I'm going to drive a Lexus boat, it is going to be the LS
Old 08-23-07, 02:06 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

I loved my 6-Speed Coupe. Where else could you find a 6-Speed manual transmission in a luxury sedan/coupe back in 1993?
I may be wrong, but I think the only other commercial 6 speed at that time was a porche...does that sound right? Hell, in japan you could get a 91 legend w/ navigation, rear reclining seats, all kinds of stuff a decade ahead of its time. My legend is 14 years old and I swear the paint looks better than my 8 yr old lexus (mostly because the 400 is black ).

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that after the Legend Acura pretty much took a downward turn. There was nothing left for us Legend owners to buy
Yeah, when I wanted a 2nd car, the decision was sort of like:

RL? bland and too much like the Legend....
Q45? don't like the front end, very expensive maintenance (look up a spark plug change...)
E420? Don't trust the germans (kidding, but again reliablity scared me)
5 or 7 series? Again, shifty germans Go price a tune-up.

the LS has a VERY rare mix of bulletproof reliability and power/comfort/speed...usually you sacrifice the former for the latter.
Old 08-23-07, 03:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I understand man...all my friends have newer cars than me and when they are parked together, it's just makes mine look old. I love the car regaurdless of how old other cars make it look.

This reminds me of a story. Me and a dude I know went to the gas station together and filled up on gas. There was a brunette who pulled up in her BMW 3-series and got out. She looked at us once as she walked in and stopped by her car when she came out. She said

"Hey...one of my close friends has a white Lexus just like yours...and I just had to tell you that your car looks so good."

I was amazed that it attracted a girl my age because it's just a classy car...so I thanked her, and she left. The funny thing was...she didnt say a thing to my buddy in the G35 coupe...it was hilarious.

Two hours later. I was packing up for Gatlinburg, TN and he comes into my room at my house. First I was wondering how the hell he got into the house, because I mean...don't people knock? So he barged into the house and sat in my room for 10 minutes not even talking. So I asked him why in the hell he just came into my house and his exact words were THIS...

"I read on your myspace that you hate Infiniti G35s...I want you to delete that **** off of youre profile, AND admit that my car is better than yours, since it is-"

Me:
"Hold the f*** up dude...you barged into my house to tell me how to man my own site and put down my car in place of yours? The hell I am, now you can show your way to the door, since you know where it is."

"No, im not leaving until you admit to me that my cars better!" Then he jumps into my pc chair and tries to tamper with the computer. I unplug the computer and scream:

"DUDE! GET THE F*** OUT OF MY HOUSE BEFORE I THROW YOU OUT THE WINDOW!!"

Then he begins to wrestle with me and I picked him up, put him on my back and carried him down the stares and threw him out of the door and onto the porch stairs and slammed the door.

5 Minutes later, his psycho mom shows up in my driveway.

She bangs on the door consistently for about 5 minutes and I go down and answer it. She starts yelling at me for throwing him off the porch and that I'm jealous of his infiniti because I don't have the same kind of fortune as him. Well I kindly explained to this loopy *** woman, that he forced his way in my home, raised his voice, and yelled at me in my own home so I threw his *** out...its my house and I can throw him out if I want to. I also explained to her that I may not have as expensive as a car as him but it shows what kind of kid this guy is when his mom has a hyundai, a 1400sq foot home and he has a brand new G35. I told her that he is 18 years old and has to have mommy come down and yell at "The punk-*** kid" down the street who threw this kid out of the house.

I don't know about any of you guys, but I paid for my Lexus, and I am proud to say that it makes me feel more independent. I don't rely on my parents for everything anymore.

Hahaha, sorry...irrelevent, but I thought I'd share the whole story...hope you guys get a kick out of it.
ehh that kid can go f@#$ off, and tell his mom to worry bout something else other then her son coming home crying. personally i dont think u can even compare an ls to a g, the ls is a top of the line car of a brand, the g is bottom, no offense to any one who owns a g, but even if the ls is older, i still like its classy looks, thats why id also buy an old jag over a new 3 series any day.and someone else said that their dad loves jag, my grandpa luvs mb, even if these caas r unreliable, ppl still uv em. and since my grnadpa knew the mb would break down, he never drove it and kept in in his garage under a cover. not its mine with 15,000. so yea sry this was off topic
Old 08-23-07, 03:19 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexodude
is it just me or does everyone think that pre 01 ls' look too old? Its been bothering me to the point that im trying to sell the car but i love it the reliability is awesome the way it drives everything.. but i just cant stand it. It might be bc im from south fl and all the people i hang out with have new 330s and 5series. anyone feel the same way?

-Aaron
I don't car about the age of my car, people are always asking me about my car and most of them have no idea the age and sometimes don't even know what it is.
A few weeks back I was a the Lexus Dealer and I had a crowd of people around my car looking at it and asking all kinds of questions about it,there were more people looking at my car than looking at the new cars.

So do some mods and you will be happy again with your car.
Old 08-28-07, 01:32 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pre-'01 LS's looking too old? Come on! The design is classic as far as I'm concerned. Just like others, people always comment on how good my car looks. They ask what year and when I tell them it's a 91 they're jaws practically drop. It's still comfortable and rides great with plenty of power for my needs. Why mess is success?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever think their lex is too old?