LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Is the LS400 for old farts only?
Yes
16.67%
No
83.33%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LS400 for old farts only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 12:06 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
here's the old fart stock version
Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeeah.
Old 09-07-07, 03:26 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heyyy, thats my car, and I'm 18 lol.
Old 09-07-07, 06:37 PM
mac6694
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
what if u dont drive it as a soft, sometimes lumpy but very comfortable car?

how bout a loud V8 powered monster in a tux?

correction: a FAT, loud V8 powered monster in a tux
hellyeah!

...sometimes.
Old 09-07-07, 09:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK,, I'll get the rope,,,,somebody string em up!!!! LOL!!! The LS is a car of distinction, and can blend in to a crowd very well but OLD FART's car,,,,um I am gonna have to take a no on that one. While it does have that stereotype of being an old mans car, it is one of versatility in which we can all agree on. Besides, at 34, I dont consider myself an old fart YET!!!! My first gen was the love of my life when it first popped on the scene in 89 and now I finally own one. Sure it has it's share of growing pains and aches but it still is a very classy car. It STILL holds it's own next to younger cars, even of the same moniker,, example..

the first gen(92 LS) is mine,,, the green one (98LS) belongs to GREENVY2K before he had some addition work done
Ask yourself this question,, would YOUR DAD drive THIS car and you will have your answer. LOL.

Last edited by trukn1; 09-09-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-07-07, 09:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

With as many LS's here and the membership driving them, it is obviously not a mature only persons car. Look at the images of the 400's 430's and 460's on this forum...that alone tells you the car appeals to a wide range of drivers.

These threads: I don't think many older folks will do this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=303101
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=283343

Now if you mention a Buick Lucrene or LaCrosse...I may have a different generalization but even those in modded form can appeal to a younger segment.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 for old farts only?-buick1.jpg  

Last edited by RA40; 09-07-07 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 09:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
OK,, I'll get the rope,,,,somebody string em up!!!! LOL!!! The LS is a car of distinction, and can blend in to a crowd very well but OLD FART's car,,,,um I am gonna have to take a no on that one. While it does have that stereotype of being an old mans car, it is one of versatility in which we can all agree on. Besides, at 34, I dont consider myself an old fart YET!!!! My first gen was the love of my life when it first popped on the scene in 89 and now I finally own one. Sure it has it's share of growing pains and aches but it still is a very classy car. It STILL holds it's own next to younger cars, even of the same moniker,, example..

the first gen(92 LS) is mine,,, the green one (98LS) belongs to GREENVY2K before he had some addition work done
Ask yourself this question,, would YOUR DAD drive THIS car and you will have yor answer. LOL.
mine would >.>

mine steals mine to drive to work if i sleep in too much
Old 09-08-07, 07:50 PM
hookem59
Rookie

What about the OCEANS of blue haired retired folks out there? They're "driving" (if that's what they call it :-) their big boxy boats (aka LS400s) around and they aren't internet savy enough to participate in a poll. And the young crowd is jetting around in their GS300s and they're too busy getting laid to care about some poll. I think I've convinced myself: the GS fits me better! Thanks everybody for your thoughts!

Last edited by hookem59; 09-09-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-08-07, 08:05 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

its funny this is brought up b/c before i bought mine i asked my wife what she thought and said it looked like an "old persons car", then i looked into toyota previas (for vip)and she said no way she'd rather have the old persons car than having people think she was a soccer mom. i thought that was awesome!!
Old 09-09-07, 08:21 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hookem59
Is the LS400 an old fart's car only? I have a 1996, and sometimes I feel like an old man. There is nothing remotely threatening or sporty about this car (as nice as it is), like the GS. What does everyone think?
i feel like a baller every time i press the lock button on my '96 remote and the lights blink.

but yeah my dad wants my Lexus, he told me that whenever i'm ready to sell it he wants to buy it. he's stuck driving an Avalon and he's jealous
Old 09-09-07, 09:55 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by hookem59
What about the OCEANS of blue haired retired folks out there? They're "driving" (if that's what they call it :-) their big boxy boats (aka LS400s) around and they aren't internet savy enough to participate in a poll. And the young crowd is jetting around in their GS300s and they're too busy getting laid to care about some poll. I think I've convinced myself: the GS fits me better! Thanks everybody for your thoughts!
GS may be sportier looking, but the build quality doesnt even compare with the LS. Don"t get me wrong, I actually like both cars, but even GS owners who either have or have driven an LS for a period of time will tell you that the LS is built much more solidly. As far as jetting around in a GS300. Go right ahead. just be sure to look over your left shoulder when that V8 LS400 comes creeping by your V6 GS300. Granted, the LS is no rocket ship, but it will definately give a GS a good run. I
Old 09-09-07, 11:02 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
GS may be sportier looking, but the build quality doesnt even compare with the LS. Don"t get me wrong, I actually like both cars, but even GS owners who either have or have driven an LS for a period of time will tell you that the LS is built much more solidly. As far as jetting around in a GS300. Go right ahead. just be sure to look over your left shoulder when that V8 LS400 comes creeping by your V6 GS300. Granted, the LS is no rocket ship, but it will definately give a GS a good run. I
All GS300's except for the 2006 have an I6 motor, the 2JZ-GE.
Old 09-09-07, 12:41 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by sonyman
All GS300's except for the 2006 have an I6 motor, the 2JZ-GE.
Yeah, this is true. I know that motor has potential, especially when you play with it. Plenty of my peeps in the NELOC forum has them, and when we meet up, except for those who are NA-T, my old 92 gives them a really good run. They beat me, nonetheless, but I make em work for it.
Old 09-09-07, 02:16 PM
98LS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter is 4 and she loves our LS, especially the rear air conditioning. She's always telling my wife that she needs to get rid of her Corolla and get a Lexus. To quote my daughter, "Lexus are better because they have air conditioning for little kids."

So, even four year olds are fans of the LS. That should bring the age demographic way down.
Old 09-09-07, 03:12 PM
hookem59
Rookie

That's my point: an LS is for responsible family types with kids. Without doubt, the LS kicks a@@ in the quality department, and it's frankly probably better than the GS. However, the LS ain't exactly a rock 'n' roll show either! :-) Borrr-ing! And it's so long and lumbering! Both are great for the right drivers. Unattached bachelor types = GS!
Old 09-09-07, 03:35 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

I don't think it is. My 16 year old nephew loves mine, and after he flipped through a couple of my VIP STYLE Mags, he was hooked!!!! He loves the comfort, power, reliability, and that fact it's not like all of his friends hondas, acuras, and so on.

Quick Reply: LS400 for old farts only?