LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

SC300/400 or LS400 (or something else) for a second car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 02:21 PM
mac6694
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warhawk, I can only give you a little under a year's ownership experience with the 1st gen LS400; I got this car for $4500 having no idea what I had purchased. It needed the EGR pipe replaced or deleted, a new battery, a little cleaning. It had been rear-ended at some point but was otherwise a gem. I bought it with just under 137K miles, it now has just over 150K and I am now having the first real issue with this car, which may be as simple as one easily accessed and replaced sensor.

Driving-wise, I generally take a 360 mile (round-trip) trip at least once a month, spend 3/4 of my commuting time on the interstate and I've already put on a lot of miles in just 8 months. A big part of it is because I love to drive this car. I can't compare the LS and SC because the only other Lexus I've driven was the RX350. I CAN tell you that from what I've seen and experienced, the LS is all around powerful, comfortable, and dependable. Seems like all I'd want in a car, other than maybe a few hundered miles to the gallon.
Old 09-10-07, 03:37 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mac6694
Warhawk, I can only give you a little under a year's ownership experience with the 1st gen LS400; I got this car for $4500 having no idea what I had purchased. It needed the EGR pipe replaced or deleted, a new battery, a little cleaning. It had been rear-ended at some point but was otherwise a gem. I bought it with just under 137K miles, it now has just over 150K and I am now having the first real issue with this car, which may be as simple as one easily accessed and replaced sensor.

Driving-wise, I generally take a 360 mile (round-trip) trip at least once a month, spend 3/4 of my commuting time on the interstate and I've already put on a lot of miles in just 8 months. A big part of it is because I love to drive this car. I can't compare the LS and SC because the only other Lexus I've driven was the RX350. I CAN tell you that from what I've seen and experienced, the LS is all around powerful, comfortable, and dependable. Seems like all I'd want in a car, other than maybe a few hundered miles to the gallon.
What kind of mileage are you getting? Have you ever run regular gas in it?

I'm on a business trip in Salt Lake City at the moment, so my car search is on hold for a few days.
Old 09-11-07, 07:52 AM
mac6694
Driver

Well, speed limit on the interstate here is 75, you can comfortably do 80-85 without too much fear of old Smokey. That said, I can expect to get low to mid 20s for mileage on the interstate...I think the highest I've seen my car get was 27 and that was a trip behind a large Uhaul the whole way doing exactly 75. In town I don't fare so well, I get mid to high teens. Now, I've done the intake mod that can be found on the forum, and so I expect that's why my mileage is better than stock. Also, the trip I regularly take is from Yuma to Phoenix, almost as level a trip as you could ask for with only one small pass and a few minor hills in the way. Vegas and San Diego are other runs I've made in this car; its great for trips.

And for what its worth, my daughters are just in love with 'Alexus.' Guess the kids have taste.

To my knowledge, there has only been one occasion that regular gas was put in the car, and that was thanks to a moment of ignorance by an ex-girlfriend. Ran terrible, but a few tanks of the good stuff and she leveled out again.
Old 09-12-07, 11:51 AM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Default What to look for in a used car

Can anyone tell me about any specific things to look at when looking at a used LS400?

I've bought a lot of used cars, so the basics I've got down pat, just wondering if there are any specific things that seem to wear or brake that might not be immediately obvious. And yes I have read the FAQ's.

Thanks
Old 09-12-07, 12:07 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a 161 point inspection at the Lexus dealer. Have them repair the problems for free if they missed something after you purchase the car.
Old 09-12-07, 11:01 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Warhawk
If memory serves me, my Tacoma has 190hp and 220 tq, something close to that anyway. The double cabs (in 2001 anyway) have the same drivetrain, a 3.4 V6 with a 4spd auto transmission. I bought it in late 2002 with 23K on it, and it currently has 135K trouble free miles. It's also my fourth Toyota pickup.

*IF* I can find a clean '95 or newer LS400 that's what I'll likely get, but I intend to stick to my price range so that I don't have to take on a car payment. I'm really leaning toward the LS models, but that SC sure is a sharp looking car.
I'm having a similar truck like you in the 01-04 Tacoma V6 4x4. I'm also having a 95 SC400. And I love both cars. I also love the 95 and newer LS as well, because they have sportier front fenders, front bumper and rear bumper than the previous LS year. I love driving my SC4, but it's currently down for a turbo project. I have both friends driving the LS4, and I test drove the '95 LS4. It seems a bit more powerful than my 95 SC4.

In your case, you might go for a 95 LS4 because you can get it under 130K miles for $7.5K. You won't regret on the LS4. It has more luxurious interior than the SC. If you're not into modding the car, then I'm positive you'll be happy with the LS4. The LS4 has somewhat cheaper insurance cost. For a 300 miles trip once a week, you might like the smoothness of the LS.

You may also check out more info on the LS V8 at www.lextreme.com.
Old 09-13-07, 08:55 AM
marocchi
Rookie

Wink

I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but you should really look hard at the Q45. While I admit that year for year the LS is A better car, because of the shi#y depreciation for the Q, for $7500 you can get A lot more car for your money. Go to NICO.com and research.
Old 09-13-07, 11:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by marocchi
I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but you should really look hard at the Q45. While I admit that year for year the LS is A better car, because of the shi#y depreciation for the Q, for $7500 you can get A lot more car for your money. Go to NICO.com and research.
u wont get flamed, you will get told that the Q45 tends to break a LOT more than the same year LS
Old 09-13-07, 01:11 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from a 98 Suburban >144k to a 92 LS400 w<93K and the Suburban drove better! I dont know if I got a suspension or trans mount problem, but I can feel everything I roll over on the road, even the paint marks. I dont think I should be feeling these irregularities, but the suburban isolated these much better. Evertything is tight down there so I dont know. My dad bought a prestine 93 SC400 in red and he says it rides like a buckboard, even dropped 1200 on new struts all around (4 on these) and there was no change. he attributes it to the "sport" in SC. He likes my LS for Vegas trips, smoother and larger inside. I think the 1st gen SC looks dated. Motor in both is great for a 4 L V8 smooth and pulls well, no hotrod though. LS has an easier suspension to work on as the SC suspension has more expensive parts but can utilize a Supra Upper control arm for a few bucks less. I Like the interior, minus the darkening A/C control and rear view mirrir and the smallish trunk, but the price was right, straight trade plus 1000 bucks cash for my Suburban. timing belt is expensive and needed if the original has more than 90K on it and the steering rack has leakage history, but has easy access under the car. Suspension is really soft, would like it a little firmer, maybe a set of 260 dollar shocks off Ebay. It is a nice car, but perfection, no. the Gen 2's are better looking in my eyes. Mine is white over silver and the silver cladding (plastic) doesnt hold a shine real well. mine is badly dulled, will repaint as it cant look any worse. If I can get this ride quality fixed, Ill be much happier.
Old 09-14-07, 01:10 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by pishta
I went from a 98 Suburban >144k to a 92 LS400 w<93K and the Suburban drove better! I dont know if I got a suspension or trans mount problem, but I can feel everything I roll over on the road, even the paint marks. I dont think I should be feeling these irregularities, but the suburban isolated these much better. Evertything is tight down there so I dont know. My dad bought a prestine 93 SC400 in red and he says it rides like a buckboard, even dropped 1200 on new struts all around (4 on these) and there was no change. he attributes it to the "sport" in SC. He likes my LS for Vegas trips, smoother and larger inside. I think the 1st gen SC looks dated. Motor in both is great for a 4 L V8 smooth and pulls well, no hotrod though. LS has an easier suspension to work on as the SC suspension has more expensive parts but can utilize a Supra Upper control arm for a few bucks less. I Like the interior, minus the darkening A/C control and rear view mirrir and the smallish trunk, but the price was right, straight trade plus 1000 bucks cash for my Suburban. timing belt is expensive and needed if the original has more than 90K on it and the steering rack has leakage history, but has easy access under the car. Suspension is really soft, would like it a little firmer, maybe a set of 260 dollar shocks off Ebay. It is a nice car, but perfection, no. the Gen 2's are better looking in my eyes. Mine is white over silver and the silver cladding (plastic) doesnt hold a shine real well. mine is badly dulled, will repaint as it cant look any worse. If I can get this ride quality fixed, Ill be much happier.
I think there're somethings else beside the struts that give you the problem on the LS or your dad's SC. The bad springs might cause the problem. It might be the bad bushings (there're several types of bushings), ball joints, or tie rods as well. You're one of the "rare" LS or SC owners that don't think these Lexus are smooth. Even Bimmer or Mercedes might not drive as smooth as the LS. You might need an air shock system that's set at the softest dampening to satisfy you. Anyway, that's just my point of view. I always like the firm ride. I can't imagine till you drive the Tacoma. It rocks!
Old 09-25-07, 09:30 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

I'm back home from another week long road trip (for work). My Tacoma does great but it sure would be nice to have a more comfortable car for these trips.

The last couple of days I've been working with a guy I've known for a few years now. He finally got a new car, his wife finally forced him to retire his '88 Honda Accord (4 cyl/5 spd) at 539,000 miles! He gave it to his mechanic who in turn gave it to his teenage son, this was about a year ago. I find it amazing that a car with that kind of mileage is still going strong despite the abuse handed out by a teenager.

Anyway ... I'm still looking for a "work car" and the LS400 is still leading the pack. But I'd like some honest opinions of a few others that I'm considering.

Lexus ES300 (approx '95 to '00 model)
Toyota Avalon ('98 to '00 model)
Toyota Solara ('99 to '01)
Acura 3.5 RL (late '90s model)
Acura 3.2 CL & TL (Late '90s to early '00 models)
Old 09-25-07, 10:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

out of all of those i would hit the avalon

nothing really "wrong" with the ES but the avalon is a decent bit bigger, pretty much AS comfortable, cheaper ('yota badge ), and just as cushy to drive.

not a fan of the solara's styling.

acura RL isnt a bad choice and the TL/CL (cant remember which) is known to have massive transmission failures.
Old 09-25-07, 10:34 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like all Hondas equipped with V6's have massive transmission failures these days. I say get the Avalon or Camry Solara, depending on whether you want a sedan or a coupé.
Old 09-26-07, 07:04 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Well I went and did what I said I wasn't going to do, I bought a car that required some financing, not too much though and I think it was worth it.

It's a '99 LS400, this was somebodies baby, not a ding or scratch on it. There are a handful of rock chips on the front end, but even these have been expertly touched up. 89K miles, drives like a new car, and runs like a scalded dog.

Old 09-26-07, 07:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

very nice

good choice

Quick Reply: SC300/400 or LS400 (or something else) for a second car?