LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why is Lexus such a dependable car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 10:24 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they're that bad why buy FOUR of them?
Old 09-24-07, 06:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrewster
If they're that bad why buy FOUR of them?
Ditto.

The RX doesn't seem to be that reliable. My neighbor has one and every month he's driving a loaner.

Lexus are pretty reliable up to 8-10 years. Then everything needs replacing.

There were a few years where people were complaining big time about thr LS problems. Have they gotten it together now? That's great if so cause they are the top model of the brand and should be the best.
Old 09-24-07, 08:09 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do agree with cartechpr to a large extent. As these cars age, they do experience a large number of failures. It is true that the 1UZ-FE and the A340E/A341E transmissions are bulletproof to a large extent. However, the suspension components, mounts, and electrical components have a high failure rate. If by dependable, you mean it will get you from A to B, then yes, they are very dependable. However, many, if not most, older LS400's will suffer numerous failures not directly related to this definition of dependability.
Old 09-24-07, 12:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
I do agree with cartechpr to a large extent. As these cars age, they do experience a large number of failures. It is true that the 1UZ-FE and the A340E/A341E transmissions are bulletproof to a large extent. However, the suspension components, mounts, and electrical components have a high failure rate. If by dependable, you mean it will get you from A to B, then yes, they are very dependable. However, many, if not most, older LS400's will suffer numerous failures not directly related to this definition of dependability.
as all cars age things begin to break

the LS (and most lexus/toyota) tend to fare a decent bit better than other brands (specifcally domestic vehicles)
Old 09-24-07, 01:17 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
as all cars age things begin to break

the LS (and most lexus/toyota) tend to fare a decent bit better than other brands (specifcally domestic vehicles)
While many things do break as cars age, the very complex suspensions and electronics in these cars leave them more prone to failures than other cars with simpler designs. I don't think they fare that much better than other vehicles as they age, if you discount the drivetrain.
Old 09-24-07, 01:49 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

having worked on the lexus line at the dealership, along iwth german high end cars, jags, nissans, land rovers, and several american cars, i can say that the lexus/toyota cars and absolutely the best you can buy. eveyrhting is going to wear out as it gets old, but the number of failures on a toyota product at 10 years old is far less than any other car i've worked on.
additionally, the toyotas are very easy to work on and understand compared to everything else unless you look at old chevy 350's.
Old 09-24-07, 04:27 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Originally Posted by sonyman
While many things do break as cars age, the very complex suspensions and electronics in these cars leave them more prone to failures than other cars with simpler designs. I don't think they fare that much better than other vehicles as they age, if you discount the drivetrain.
The "very complex" rubber bushings and shock absorbers are in every car. They break down over time in every car. Replacing bushings every 100k miles is far better than every 50k in a BMW.
Old 09-24-07, 04:34 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

The "very complex" rubber bushings and shock absorbers are in every car. They break down over time in every car. Replacing bushings every 100k miles is far better than every 50k in a BMW.
By very complex I was primarily referring to the fully independent front and rear suspension. I've never owned a BMW so I can't comment on their issues; I was only noting that these cars do have their faults.
Old 09-24-07, 04:35 PM
JBrewster
Driver

It's not that complex.
Old 09-24-07, 04:50 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

It's not that complex.
It's all subjective. It's complex compared to leafsprings, for example. In any case, I'm not going to debate this. It's just my take.
Old 09-25-07, 01:48 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

ha BMW! they are more complicated to change just the bushings for example, more expensive and they go out 2x as often.
Old 02-19-08, 09:06 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for 195k miles and numerous issues it still drives smooth lol
Old 02-19-08, 11:04 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 1995 LS400 at 200k miles still reliable no complaints from a lil student like me haha. i pay for all my maintenance. some people get bad ones some people dont. i feel as if it just luck you know. when my dad first got the LS400 he got a rock thrown at it and stuff flying off semi trucks. but since ive gotten it nothing bad happen to it. but i cant say the same for his new car >_< that thing is dent the heck upppp. but its okay all he cares about is the motor and if he can drive it haha.
Old 02-20-08, 12:43 AM
NJ240sxMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leafspring suspensions are crap in the modern world. Independent front and rear suspensions are not hard to understand at all and someone with even minor mechanical experience can work on a lexus him/herself. Compared to my old nissan 240sx's of the same age, my 1993 ls400 is a piece of art that has given me NO problems whatsoever. Even less problems than my father's leased infiniti g35's.

And with age, everything breaks, regardless. 6+ years cars usually begin to begin wear problems. 10+ years, cars commonly have rust problems. Lexus cars that are 10+ years old will exhibit very little to no rust whatsoever and their paint as well as their parts are high quality compared to other brands.
Old 02-20-08, 07:27 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 95 has 204,000 miles and drives like new. I can't comment on longevity issues, repairs because I have not done any other than scheduled repairs. Some of my friends own Cadillacs, BMW's, Mercedes and some exotics and I will tell you they are all much newer than mine and they are frequently in the shop for non-scheduled repairs. I can't believe the things that go wrong with their cars. The same things over and over again.

Nobody will change my mind on Toyota/Lexus quality just like I won't change other folks minds that disagree. I will say that Consumer Reports is pretty clear about the LS and as an owner I totally concur. I could drive a comparable BMW or Mercedes and think they are beautiful but I prefer my LS because it keeps going and going

Quick Reply: Why is Lexus such a dependable car?