LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Well I finally replaced the propeller shaft assy - '95

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 12:07 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vibration was between 45-55mph and got worse the harder I pressed on the throttle. My vibration was felt primarily in the seat, but also through the pedals and steering wheel. However, the whole car feels smoother at any speed, even though I thought it was smooth to begin with. Also, there isn't a u-joint in the propeller shaft. It's a support bearing.
Old 11-05-07, 01:29 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

hmmm... i guess yours was more worn than mine. mine coomes and goes at freeway speeds.
that bearing isn't avaialble separately?
Old 11-05-07, 01:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
hmmm... i guess yours was more worn than mine. mine coomes and goes at freeway speeds.
that bearing isn't avaialble separately?
It is, but it's several hours labor to remove the old one and press in a new one. Also, many shops won't even do it. After it's all said and done you'd be better off with a new propeller shaft.
Old 11-05-07, 08:53 PM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
My vibration was between 45-55mph and got worse the harder I pressed on the throttle. My vibration was felt primarily in the seat, but also through the pedals and steering wheel. However, the whole car feels smoother at any speed, even though I thought it was smooth to begin with. Also, there isn't a u-joint in the propeller shaft. It's a support bearing.
There IS a U-joint.

The last time we went over this I posted a pic from the FSM.
Attached Thumbnails Well I finally replaced the propeller shaft assy - '95-fsm-page.jpg  

Last edited by Klierslc; 11-05-07 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 05:20 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

It is, but it's several hours labor to remove the old one and press in a new one. Also, many shops won't even do it. After it's all said and done you'd be better off with a new propeller shaft.
i do all my own work and have access to a full service shop, so labor isn't a problem....good looking out though.
Old 11-06-07, 05:21 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Klierslc
There IS a U-joint.

yup, looks like a carrier bearing and a u joint. that's what i will buy. thanks.
Old 11-06-07, 08:36 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

There IS a U-joint.

That is NOT a u-joint. It clearly says support bearing in the picture, and that is what it is. I asked directly one of the senior technicians at my workplace if there was a u-joint, and he told me "no, there is a support bearing."
Old 11-06-07, 08:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

That is NOT a u-joint. It clearly says support bearing in the picture, and that is what it is. I asked directly one of the senior technicians at my workplace if there was a u-joint, and he told me "no, there is a support bearing."
that's not the u joint we're talking about. the carrier bearing is rigth in front of the u joint in the diagram there. it's what connects the two halves of the driveshaft together.
Old 11-06-07, 08:47 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

that's not the u joint we're talking about. the carrier bearing is rigth in front of the u joint in the diagram there. it's what connects the two halves of the driveshaft together.
I was actually on my way to edit my post when I saw you replied.

It's possible that the technician I spoke with was wrong, and that he thought there wasn't a u-joint because it's not available as a separate part according to that diagram. I see what you're referring to.
Old 11-06-07, 10:06 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

it sure doesn't look like it's available seperatately does it? that sucks. i'm sure it's not a dana/spicer u jiont either, probably proprietary to toyota so it wont' be available anywhere. funny thing is, i can hava new custom driveshaft made for a 4x4 truck for about $200 that will handle all kinds of abuse. i wonder if they can do the same for a lexus...
Old 11-06-07, 09:40 PM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sure doesn't look like it's available seperatately does it? that sucks. i'm sure it's not a dana/spicer u jiont either, probably proprietary to toyota so it wont' be available anywhere. funny thing is, i can hava new custom driveshaft made for a 4x4 truck for about $200 that will handle all kinds of abuse. i wonder if they can do the same for a lexus...
IF you have the down time available for your car, you could take it out and bring the joint down to napa with a micrometer. Then just find one that matches. There are a couple online places that sell remanned shafts for these, they have to get their parts from somewhere.
Old 11-07-07, 06:36 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

IF you have the down time available for your car, you could take it out and bring the joint down to napa with a micrometer. Then just find one that matches. There are a couple online places that sell remanned shafts for these, they have to get their parts from somewhere.
that's a good idea. i do have other cars to drive, so it wouldn't be a big deal. i may try that.
Old 01-04-08, 04:32 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I finally got a chance to get my car back in the shop again to try to tackle the remnants of the vibration. The technician stated that the drone that I hear is something internal to the transmission (he couldn't be any more specific) and that my LS is not the only one he has seen with this problem. He said that when it's really bad, the only thing he can do to fix it is to replace the transmission. I tried to pressure him into getting more specific, but he couldn't. He additionally stated that Lexus does not sell just a torque converter or just the transmission, but rather the whole assembly, when I tried to pressure him for specifics. Any input guys?
Old 05-27-08, 09:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After dealing with an annoying vibration affected by speed and throttle pressure for a year now, I finally replaced my entire propeller shaft assembly. This includes the two segments, the support bearing, and the flexible couplings. It was expensive, let me tell you, but it seems to have eliminated 95% of what I was feeling. To get the remaining 5%, I think I'll have to replace the mounts, which is next on my agenda, although it may be a little while. Surprisingly, the old propeller shaft segments looked OK; there was a tad of corrosion on both segments, but they didn't look that bad. Also, the flexible couplings looked perfect. Obviously, however, it doesn't take much to warp or damage a driveshaft as mine was clearly faulty.
Hi Sonyman,

Was it necessary to remove a portion of the exhaust system in order to replace the shaft and support bearing?

I have a vibration at 25 to 30mph and again at 45 to 55mph... More so when coasting than under acceleration. 91' w/80k miles... The Lexus tech told me the shaft and bearing had some play in it and recommended I replace it.

Thanks
Old 05-29-08, 11:33 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if I should disclose exactly how much I paid or not so I won't, but I will say that out the door including labor with tax and everything, it was more than that. That's all I will say about the price.
what? who cares. lol

Even if you paid $300 for the part all we would say is "OH NICE"