LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Got my new 20's put on.. let me know what you think!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 08:52 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iansaltes
Flipmoe,
I read what he did awhile ago... if I remember correctly he had Tanabes (2"'s?) and Tokicos. If I do drop it in the future, I do plan to use that same setup. Thanks!!
Tanabes (about 2" drop) and Tokicos are a great setup. You get the best of almost everything. Handling is improved slightly, the car looks a lot better, and the whole setup shouldn't run you more than $500-600 if you install it yourself. Much cheaper than coilovers. Plus, you still maintain a very smooth ride.

Here's a pic of my car with the setup:

I'm stretching 245/40/18's on a 18x9 rear rim (I think +35 offset, don't remember), and there isn't even enough wheel gap to stick a finger in while I have my sub box in the trunk. It looks like there's more wheel gap in the pic only because of the black trim piece around the wheel well...

Also note, there may be slight rubbing issues. If I had gone even 10mm wider for my rear tires, I would have had some rubbing issues. It's a very close fit with the 245's.
Old 11-13-07, 09:07 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for making me feel like a total moron, LiCelsior and pfantom68. haha I should have guessed thats what it was....

pfantom68- sometimes I wish I had went with 18s and a 2" drop like yours... looks real nice. I'll probably do that after I get sick of these 4 anvils I got on my car now....maybe Ill actually be able to get up to 60mph in under 3 minutes!
Old 11-14-07, 07:06 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
uhh, heres a pic from the VIP meet (i parked in a corner and someone STILL took a pic )

wheels may be in the classifieds very soon i got somethin special on the way (hopefully)

Bless the HRE, HRE and BBS rims should be the only ones allowed to make rims period.
Old 11-14-07, 07:41 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

I think it looks good without a drop, but that's just me. ..... I know 90% of this forum is all about making cars super low, but for daily driving I scrape enough as it is.
Old 11-14-07, 08:14 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
I think it looks good without a drop, but that's just me. ..... I know 90% of this forum is all about making cars super low, but for daily driving I scrape enough as it is.
i agree....it's all a matter of personal taste....i'm not a fan of lowering either...

your car looks great!
Old 11-14-07, 09:04 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iansaltes

Let me know what you think.. be brutally honest.
Since you asked.. I dont like them at all, its one thing to go with a bling look, another to go with a sporty look, and even another to try the bippu route. but those wheels seem to be trying to hard to incorporate the bling/sport in one wheel. They look out of place on the car IMO.

since ive said that let me say for the record no hard feelings bro, but I have nothing constructive to say about those wheels.

oh btw I got my old tips at a kragen, nothing special
Old 11-14-07, 10:55 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brandicus
Since you asked.. I dont like them at all, its one thing to go with a bling look, another to go with a sporty look, and even another to try the bippu route. but those wheels seem to be trying to hard to incorporate the bling/sport in one wheel. They look out of place on the car IMO.

since ive said that let me say for the record no hard feelings bro, but I have nothing constructive to say about those wheels.

oh btw I got my old tips at a kragen, nothing special
haha no offense taken at all! to each his own! i knew many people would hate them, some would be ok with them, and some would like them. surprisingly, i like them for the reasons you dont! i like the bling/sporty combo look.

thanks for the info on the tips too! are they 4" straight cuts?

thanks to everyone for all the comments! any more??
Old 11-14-07, 12:21 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pretty sure they were 3.5' straights, oh and the maker was "3zjen" or something like that, they were about $20 each if I hadnt already given them away I wouldve sent them too you!

thanks for being so cool with criticism, its a trait most people dont have on or off these boards
Old 11-14-07, 05:08 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Yup... Tanabe DF210 and tokicos. I really enoyed that car. Maybe you can do a smaller tire up front after you do the drop, like 225 or 235. When I changed to 235's it looked better than the 245/35/20's. Drop it...soon.
I got the suspension from Hann at luxurymods.com. Good pricing and good service.
I am on the 1st gen GS side now....
Attached Thumbnails Got my new 20's put on.. let me know what you think!-amynewlexusgs300.jpg  
Old 11-14-07, 06:00 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonm
Yup... Tanabe DF210 and tokicos. I really enoyed that car. Maybe you can do a smaller tire up front after you do the drop, like 225 or 235. When I changed to 235's it looked better than the 245/35/20's. Drop it...soon.
I got the suspension from Hann at luxurymods.com. Good pricing and good service.
I am on the 1st gen GS side now....
looks great.. I am a huge fan of the 1gen GS
Old 11-15-07, 12:38 AM
rsg
Pole Position

I like it...doesn't look like it desperately needs to be dropped.
Did you have a noticeable MPG change after the new rims?
Old 11-15-07, 06:48 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
uhh, heres a pic from the VIP meet (i parked in a corner and someone STILL took a pic )

wheels may be in the classifieds very soon i got somethin special on the way (hopefully)
Pure - Like the grill - looks good. I painted mine as well all gloss black. Would rather get a billet like Lexkost or Fabulous but not for $800
Old 11-15-07, 06:59 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rsg
I like it...doesn't look like it desperately needs to be dropped.
Did you have a noticeable MPG change after the new rims?
Thanks!

I have only had them on for 2 days, so I havent checked yet... but Ill let you know when I fill up again. I assume my MPG will drop... VERY little.. its just like having an extra body in the car.

I have noticed a difference in acceleration though.. Im not the kind of person to floor is at stop lights, but still I can tell its a little more sluggish.

But the car looks better (to me!), so its worth it.
Old 11-15-07, 07:03 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Iansaltes;3053559]To many guys here, these 20" rims are going to be considered "over-the-top" and/or too blingy.

I am happy with them.. even though they weight a TON! The tires are 245/35/20s in the front, and 255/35/20s in the rear. Rims are 20" 8.5 front, 9" rear, both +38 offset. I am not going to deny the fact that it would look better lowered, cause I agree. I am not gonna BS and say "Oh I like the way it looks all lifted up high", but honestly it isnt as bad as I thought it would be so I dont mind it for now. As you can see, I dont have the mufflers on it, but I will be putting tips on there soon as well.

Let me know what you think.. be brutally honest.

Also, sorry about the crappy pictures (I had to use my cell cause I lost my digicam charger), AND I apologize for the kink in your neck you might get from looking at two of the sideways pictures. I am not responsible for any damages.

This is a tough crowd The wheels are big on the car but when you lower it the look will change drastically. The wheel style is not for me as I have a different look on my LS but I like them bro. They are 100% better than OEM. They will stick out until you lower the car and then they'll tuck more and not look the same - atleast that's what I experienced on mine. I see the Chrysler SRT 300's lowered with their 20's and it looks so much better than with the 4x4 clearance. I say lower it and post another pic B4 and after!
Old 11-15-07, 07:06 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Pure,
Sorry for the hijack again - Maybe you could paint the headlight inner area black around the lights....???? I think it would look very stealth bro. Not sure though if you can get in there to do it.

Quick Reply: Got my new 20's put on.. let me know what you think!