LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Got my new 20's put on.. let me know what you think!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 07:19 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=steveski

This is a tough crowd The wheels are big on the car but when you lower it the look will change drastically. The wheel style is not for me as I have a different look on my LS but I like them bro. They are 100% better than OEM. They will stick out until you lower the car and then they'll tuck more and not look the same - atleast that's what I experienced on mine. I see the Chrysler SRT 300's lowered with their 20's and it looks so much better than with the 4x4 clearance. I say lower it and post another pic B4 and after![/QUOTE]

haha thanks man! I am now considering lowering it... but I'm thinking only about an inch or so.

And also, I hijack threads all the time...so its all good if you hijack mine as long as you give it back! haha
Old 11-15-07, 10:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Iansaltes
Thanks!

I have only had them on for 2 days, so I havent checked yet... but Ill let you know when I fill up again. I assume my MPG will drop... VERY little.. its just like having an extra body in the car.

I have noticed a difference in acceleration though.. Im not the kind of person to floor is at stop lights, but still I can tell its a little more sluggish.

But the car looks better (to me!), so its worth it.
your mpg will likely drop more than a "little"

reason being that yes, overall, its like having another body in the car but the problem is that its a body's worth of UNSPRUNG weight. iirc its a 4xmultiple of sprung weight (since each wheel will have to work that much harder to turn, as there is more mass and it is further from the center). so say it was (hypothetically) an approx. 80-100pound weight gain on all 4 wheels (one of my smaller female friends basically, cut into pieces and strapped to the 4 corners), it would act on the car as though you just plopped ~320-400lbs in the car.
Old 11-15-07, 10:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by steveski
Pure,
Sorry for the hijack again - Maybe you could paint the headlight inner area black around the lights....???? I think it would look very stealth bro. Not sure though if you can get in there to do it.
lol, dont worry, i have plenty of ideas, just not enough money or time to put them all into affect

yes, i know i still owe u a fonecall, lemme get thru this round of midterms
Old 11-15-07, 01:18 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

design is ok, doesn't look too big to me, but i would prefer a lower offset all the way around for a good flush look... of course i'm vip style conscious though...
Old 11-15-07, 01:45 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
your mpg will likely drop more than a "little"

reason being that yes, overall, its like having another body in the car but the problem is that its a body's worth of UNSPRUNG weight. iirc its a 4xmultiple of sprung weight (since each wheel will have to work that much harder to turn, as there is more mass and it is further from the center). so say it was (hypothetically) an approx. 80-100pound weight gain on all 4 wheels (one of my smaller female friends basically, cut into pieces and strapped to the 4 corners), it would act on the car as though you just plopped ~320-400lbs in the car.
Question---after a certain point.. when the car is already moving, at say...highway speeds, would the mpg "equal out" cause the wheels are already in motion?

As you can tell.. I am no phsyics major haha

By the way... I liked the line "one of my smaller female friends basically, cut into pieces and strapped to the 4 corners" that pretty much made me laugh uncontrollably"..maybe cause I actually visualized it.
Old 11-15-07, 02:43 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to it - especially your grill bro!
Old 11-15-07, 02:46 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iansaltes
haha thanks man! I am now considering lowering it... but I'm thinking only about an inch or so.

And also, I hijack threads all the time...so its all good if you hijack mine as long as you give it back! haha
1" would be a good start - that's where I started and then went to 2" - now I wish I had gone with coilovers Before I lowered mine my fronts would hit the fender and once lowered it clears nicely Thread returned.
Old 11-15-07, 03:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no, because even at speed, its taking more power to turn the wheels as they are heavier.
Old 11-16-07, 08:16 PM
HaryGahtoe
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wheels are subjective. Enjoy trying different upgrades or changes. Thats how you really find out what you truly like. C.L. is the perfect Forum to ask difficult and technical questions. Unfortunately not all you try comes out the way you envisioned it would. Searches really help.
Keep up the good work. Never be afraid to try what you really want.
It does keep us grounded to ask others their opinions as long as you take it with a grain of salt.
The wheels look nice. Feelin the 20's. Not what I would choose. But nice.