LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking at a 93 Ls400 with a few issues HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 03:07 PM
stockySC4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lpazxxsh1
I saw the same car advertized on Craigslist for $1800. I went test drove the car. Yup it definately had a problem. It had major power loss. it took a minuted to get to 60 mph. It was jerking and Up hill i had to hit the pedal to the floor to get it to 20 mph. Seemed like it was only firing on 4 cylinders. But the plus side was it had normal compression, transmission was good, no leaks, starts up fast. I'm not a mechanic but i do know a little about engines. I figured i can fix this and drive it for cheap. I have heard this motor can go for 400,000 miles. Aron told me he got an offer for $1300 which he declined. I think that was you?

Anyways he accepted my offer of $1600 and i brought it home. Since he already told me he had the exhaust system taken apart and check i can start with the ignition
system. Just a process of elimination. I checked all vacumm lines to make sure theres none just loosely just hanging. I then unplugged one of the ignition coil and started the car... to my surprised it ran the same like it was just firing on just 4 cylinders. So then
i plugged it back and disconnected the other ignition coil, and started the car...Wow the starter turns but wouldn't turn over. Hummmm

Ok so this means that one ignition coil is not putting out, which can explain why only 4 cylinder are running. I drove to the Balboa Autozone and bought a $49.00 generic ignition coil and installed it. I turned the key and the engine started up and ran awesome. Accelleration was instant and ran like new. Took me less than an hour to figure this out. Aron told me that Lexus wanted to replace the exhaust system for an arm and a leg. Plus all these tune-up's that didn't fix the problem.

Today i drove it on the freeway and cruised at 80 mph on freeway 52. Totally
smooth. I did fine out the plugs installed are none platnum NGK. I wonder if
that make a diffrence.
awesome story!
Old 11-30-07, 03:51 PM
lpazxxsh1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the missfire too

Originally Posted by stockySC4
awesome story!
Well its runs but theres a hint of missfire somewhere. I opened up the distributor cap cover and noticed it will need a new timing belt soon. It had cracks on the top side of the belt. I had a friend who used to work at Lexus and now works for Toyota. I took it to him to just check out the check engine light and after his diagnostic it came up as the timing belt was off by one tooth. That will explain why it had missfires. I had him go ahead a replace the timing belt since it was already bad and set the timing. Got it back the next day and it ran even better.
The timing belt and setting the timing set me back $450. Suspension bushing
on the front will need changing, but i can do those myself. Probably clean
the trottle body too and make it run even better. So far its cost me $650
total for the repairs. But i'm still ahead i think since i only paid $1600 for the car.