LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 Ls 400 Alignment Related Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 01:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Yeah Bilstein said they'd re-cut the case. I am pretty convinced that my problem was a result of the fact I relied on the strut to increase the drop rather than the springs. The H&R gives a 1" drop all around and I increased the drop by 1/2" to 1" all around by lowering the spring perch. By increasing the distance between the spring perch and strut top, the springs ability to support the car as designed is affected because I have exceeded it's operational range. The reason I think this is because now the car is back at the top perch up front and the handling difference is significant. Before the front would sag a bit and was less responsive and softer in turns, etc. Now, I realize because the front was lower than the rear, this would contribute to strange handling. For the most pat I am sold that I picked the wrong spring/strut combo for what I was looking for (More than 1" drop).

It seems like there are a few options:
(1) Stick with H&R and the 1" drop and don't use lowest perch settings up front on the Bilsteins HD's.
(2) Change springs to another vendor that gives more than 1" drop - maybe Tanabe. That way you could use top perch still and have good handling, etc.
(3) Get rid of entire setup and go with coilovers form Tein, Megan Racing, etc. Of course this is the route I will take on my next LS since there is full adjustability.

Hope this helps any others out there contemplating lowering their LS.
ehh, idk about that, im not sure what the listed drop is for my LSportline's eibachs but i know that the regular eibach's arent more than 1" all around, and ive been rolling around at the bottom perch of my bilsteins for over 6months
Old 12-10-07, 06:30 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ehh, idk about that, im not sure what the listed drop is for my LSportline's eibachs but i know that the regular eibach's arent more than 1" all around, and ive been rolling around at the bottom perch of my bilsteins for over 6months
Maybe the Eibach's are stiffer than the H&R's? I mean, maybe the spring rate is higher than the H&R's. If your car handles the same as at the higher perch settings then they must be stiffer. I mean, at the lowest perch the H&R's don't support the vehicle as they do at the top - they sag. I'm telling you the handling is crazy different as well as the responsiveness. It is sloppy and there's considerably more roll, etc. at the lowest perch. I called H&R and they were clueless. They thought I was blaming them for my tires wearing out! I asked if the H&R spring was "stretched" beyond 1" would the handling be negatively affected - that is by increasing the distance between perch and strut top. They were no help. There seems to be two simple variables that are in question - Springs provide support and struts provide dampening. The H&R's give a 1" drop and the strut allows you to increase the drop by up to 1". Maybe the increase is enough the H&R's cannot support the vehicle which allowed my inner ties to wear and handling to be compromised. Man - sounds complicated
Old 12-10-07, 06:46 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

If you are seeking a nice handling sedan...the suspension parts Tanable is offering is way to get closer to that. I dunno if the LS400's are tunable to that level without blowing the whole ride quality. Most the readily available parts are appearance oriented that happen to change the basic handling characteristics. For true race tuned parts...??

I wouldn't mess with it since the busings are a big factor among many of our aging rides. I'm sure the rest of the suspension allows sufficient flex so the big beefy Tanable control arms, strut bars and stiffer bushes will help. Add in stiffer springs, stiffer dampening and you now bounce down the road if you have any + wheel combo.
Old 12-10-07, 07:17 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Yeah I have seen the Tanabe suspension parts - nice designs. I am hesitant to spend more now since I will replace my current car next year. It is weird because the car handles fantastic now that I raised the front to the highest perch - gained an extra finger of gap and improved the ride dramatically - I wish it could be lower like it was and drive like it does now. I will keep it like it is so the ride is more in line with what I like - and deal with the bigger gap
Old 12-10-07, 07:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Yeah I have seen the Tanabe suspension parts - nice designs. I am hesitant to spend more now since I will replace my current car next year. It is weird because the car handles fantastic now that I raised the front to the highest perch - gained an extra finger of gap and improved the ride dramatically - I wish it could be lower like it was and drive like it does now. I will keep it like it is so the ride is more in line with what I like - and deal with the bigger gap
your dropping the LS

hit me up if u plan on selling anything
Old 12-11-07, 08:45 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I will if I actually sell it. I am wanting to keep it since I couldn't get enough for it to pay for what I have done