LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 11:33 PM
el maestro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yea man thats what i ended up doing with the two extensions and the impact gun....well the son of a ***** is in. Hooray!!

But now i need to get new hoses because i cracked nearly all of them....and yea a friend gave me the same suggestion about the rtv...im gonna go ahead and do that since it worked for you.

Thanks for the advice
Old 02-09-09, 09:19 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I just done a hose replacement that required the removal of the plenum, I would use OEM Toyota hoses for the molded stuff and Gates Green Stripe for the straight stuff. It's your only chance to do it all at this point.
Old 02-09-09, 03:26 PM
el maestro
Driver

^ Yea im going to have to go to Toyota because i bought hoses from autozone but i can only use the straight ones.

Does anyone know if anyone sells injector clips?

I know I would have to solder them on thats not a problem.
Old 02-09-09, 08:04 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by el maestro
^ Yea im going to have to go to Toyota because i bought hoses from autozone but i can only use the straight ones.

Does anyone know if anyone sells injector clips?

I know I would have to solder them on thats not a problem.
The stuff Autozone has is just basic straight heater hose. I prefer Gates Green Stripe - it's the same stuff used on big rigs and Gates does say it resists electrolysis better - which isn't a problem if your cooling system sees nothing but OEM Toyota coolant.

I would use only OEM molded hose - since Toyota does own a company that is one of their rubber suppliers.
Old 02-11-09, 03:06 PM
el maestro
Driver

^Yea so i went to the Lexus dealer for the molded hoses and for like 5 hoses they quoted me 200 something.....Ridiculous for a couple hoses so what im going to do is buy this
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...541&go=Unicoil

Seems like a good product.

Can anyone on here direct me to a good website that sells lexus parts besides lexuspartsonline.com because im looking for an o-ring kit for injectors but i am having a hard time finding any.

Thanks in advance for those that help.
Old 02-11-09, 03:36 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214082
Old 02-11-09, 04:58 PM
el maestro
Driver

When they say they sell injector insulators are those the o rings?

If so does it come with both seals?

For the intake manifold seal as well as the fuel rail or do I have to buy them individually?
Old 02-11-09, 10:06 PM
el maestro
Driver

HARO DERE ANYONE??????? Come on lexus car owners give me some help damn it
Old 02-13-09, 09:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by el maestro
When they say they sell injector insulators are those the o rings?

If so does it come with both seals?

For the intake manifold seal as well as the fuel rail or do I have to buy them individually?
There are insulators between the fuel rail and the mounting points on the engine, and there are seals between the injectors and their holes on the lower intake, and o-rings on where they meet the fuel rail.

As for the Unicoils, they work decently well but they hate sharp bends or going more than 90 degrees. As for the hose, just make sure you ask for Green Stripe hose as most parts houses that carry Gates will get you the cheaper Safety Stripe stuff. I would still go OEM Toyota, give Steve or Gordon at Carson Toyota a call.
Old 02-14-09, 08:18 AM
vlade31
2nd gear

I have a 92 LS400 and my starter died last week so after reading this post I decided to go for it and attempt this job...big mistake...it sucks!!! now i have everything out and i can see the freakin starter but i cant take the cat out cuz the freakin bolts are too tight...i am ready to give up and tow this POS to a mechanic and let him finish it...right after that its going up for sale...WHO PUTS THE STARTER IN SUCH A HORRIBLE PLACE!!!???
Old 02-14-09, 08:57 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vlade31
I have a 92 LS400 and my starter died last week so after reading this post I decided to go for it and attempt this job...big mistake...it sucks!!! now i have everything out and i can see the freakin starter but i cant take the cat out cuz the freakin bolts are too tight...i am ready to give up and tow this POS to a mechanic and let him finish it...right after that its going up for sale...WHO PUTS THE STARTER IN SUCH A HORRIBLE PLACE!!!???
Have you tried removing the rear water bypass? For the 89-94 LS I don't think the EGR pipe would be in the way. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-14-09, 09:00 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its not, but the wire harness box on top of the rear bypass blocks it from being removed.
Old 02-14-09, 09:07 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

^^
I had the same problem with the wire harness. I removed all the wires and unbolted the box on top of the rear water bypass. Once I did that, smooth sailing from there on.
Old 02-15-09, 12:50 PM
vlade31
2nd gear

Ok guys so i called a mechanic my friend knows and he came over to work on my car...we got the new starter in and everything has been put back together. I am having issues with the car starting now. I put in about 3 gallons of gas (lost some fuel during the job). It sounds like its not getting any fuel. It stays started if someone is spraying carb cleaner in the throttle body but dies as soon as you stop. I checked all the fuel line for leaks they are all fine...same goes for the vacuum lines. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-09, 12:59 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Could be a bad sensor. Mine intially did not start. The car had to build up gas pressure before it turned over.

Quick Reply: 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress