LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 lunges when you drop it in (drive) '94

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 04:13 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,
I have a new EGR pipe as of 9 months ago, so I am very sure that that is not the problem, and I have no leaks.
I do know changing the EGR pipe is a pain in the (you know what), just due to the limited space available. It is a strange deal, the EGR is tied into so many systems.
I need to set down this weekend and start troubleshooting my trans, does any one have trans codes. If not I know I can find them. The funny thing is...some times it is pertty ok, and other times it jerks and rocks all over the place, and it has nothing to do with it being warm or cold.
I will tell you this, the car is very lucky that I love it, or I would part it out and post it on EBAY, but I couldnt do that.
Have a great weekend LS4 club
Mark
Old 02-07-08, 11:43 AM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

I finally had a chance to pull the codes, now I need help figuring it out. I got a 24, and a 31. Could you please help me with this, I hope it has something to do with the bad shifting pattern?????
Thank you in advance, and have a great day.
Mark
Old 02-07-08, 12:45 PM
fisher9720
Driver School Candidate

BIGDAD

24 - Intake air temp. sensor signal

31 - Air flow meter signal

So I guess if an EGR pipe can cause weird shifting, maybe a faulty or just dirty Air Flow meter could also?? Anybody else on the forum pulled these codes...

I would do the tutorial where you clean the Throttle body, clean the air filter housing and I"ve never messed with my AF meter, I'm sure somebody can chime in whose had these codes, or I'm sure there's a way to maybe clean the AF..
Then clear the codes..
And then see if they come back.. If they do, then obviously replace with new sensors after you've first tried cleaning..

But damn, I thought maybe those would be transmission related, but I guess I would make the car code free before I took apart the tranny, because usually one problem can cause another..
Old 02-07-08, 12:46 PM
fisher9720
Driver School Candidate

Someone that has a repair manual, please tell him the procedure for clearing code 24 and 31.
I don't have one, sorry.
Old 02-07-08, 12:46 PM
fisher9720
Driver School Candidate

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 02-10-08, 08:21 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

I did clear the codes, it didn't help my trans problem. It seems like the trans dosnt lock out, I know how to work it now, I can start the car, drop it in reverse, wait a second, and then quickley move it to drive, I feel a little kick, and another second and I feel aanother kick, after that I can drive normal. It is so strange, and it blowing my mind. I wish It were a tranny, so I could just replace it, but I am afraid, its a sensore, or who knows, somthing else. ut again, I do aprreciate all of you and your support.
Mark
Old 02-10-08, 09:46 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

I checked for codes, and both the "over drive", and the "check engine" lights just blink constantely??? I guess that means no codes???
I will keep working this thing until I figure it out.
Take care.
Mark
Old 03-05-08, 10:52 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

I still have not figured this out, maybe some one can take a look, and tell me if I have a bad trans.
Take care guys.
Mark
Old 07-20-08, 01:40 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

Default I still have the same problem, but now with a noise

Well,
here I am again. OK....being active duty NAVY for the last 21 years takes a large portion of my time, that being said, I have not fixed this problem yet, and to add insult to injury it now makes a whinny noise (i dont even know how to spell) so when I start it up in the morning it makes noise, and this noise is comming from under/ or around the transmission, the noise changes if you switch gears (at idle in the drive way). After about 10 min. the noise goes away. I do think it has something to do with the fluid, so I will flush, and fill the trans (type IV).
I really wasent looking for anyone to answer a question, you have all been plenty of help....just needed to VENT.
Thank you all, and have a great day.
Mark
Old 07-23-08, 11:26 AM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

Ok,
I had the car serviced at Lexus (trans sevice $225.00), two reasons I had this done...1st, is the problem that I posted here, 2nd is that in the morning the car whines...makes noise. The last time it was serviced (lexus) was at 205,000 miles, it now has 251,000, and the fluid looked a little dirty. so I had it changed thinking maybe it would fix the problem...Nope, still making noise in the morning, eventually it will go away, It sound like air in the lines, the noise comes from torque converter area, and the sound changes when you shift gears (setting in the drive way), not on the road.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Mark
Old 10-08-08, 01:13 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark

Did you ever resolve the issue?
Old 10-08-08, 08:43 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes id love to know. my 91 ls does the lurch when i put it into drive a few inches or so but thats all no other noises etc.
Old 10-16-08, 12:48 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

Ok,
its been a while...I was shipped to Japan and now im back. I took it back to the dealership 2 days later, and they said they would put there "best guy on it", the end result was my front trans pump was going out, they quoted me $5,500 to replace it. I said I dont think so and by the way, I would like my $225.00 back for the sevice on a bad trans, they did give me the money back. I was lucky, I found a used trans for $250.00 and installed it in 6 hours, the noise went away, but the lunge is still there.....I have no idea what makes it lunge, still open to idea's.
Thank you
and have agreat day
Mark
Old 10-16-08, 03:28 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever replace the trans mount? Mine didn't look bad, but it indeed was the problem. It's worth the $30 to replace if you haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-21-08, 07:31 AM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

No, but In the back of my mind I have been thinking of this very thing. I have replaced all the expensive stuff, why not the $30.00-$50.00 item, maybe Im afraid I will fall back in love with my LS 400, you are right, it probably is the trans mount. I had Lexus check it, I checked it, and although its not broken, it is weak.
Thank you for your imput,
and have a great day.
Mark