LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rubber Coil Spring Inserts to Raise Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 11:16 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rubber Coil Spring Inserts to Raise Spring Rates

Many of you may remember me complaining about my inner front tires wearing even though I was getting regular alignments. Recall I have Bilstein HD's with two spring perches and H&R springs. I have the spring perch set at the lowest to drop the car more. It made the car look better but adversely affected the handling - made it mushy and wore my inner tires. I read about rubber spring inserts to raise spring rates and decided to try them since they cost $9each from Speedway Motors. These did not increase my fender gap but only made the spring rate higher (and stiffer) so there is definitely no sag now. The car handles really good again like if it were raised back to the highest spring perch but has the same fender gap. When I jack the car up they do not fall out or get loose - so far so good.

Here is a pic of the rubber insert. Who knows if they will remedy my tire wear since once a tire starts to wear it keeps going but I will be replacing my front tires this year.
Attached Thumbnails Rubber Coil Spring Inserts to Raise Spring Rates-coil-spring-rubber.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 11:38 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post, something to keep in mind when I lower my car. Did you use just one on each spring?
Old 01-09-08, 11:39 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I wonder if I could use these right now just in the rear, since the rear of my car sags a lot due to the heavy stereo equipment and me always having heavy stuff in the trunk..
Old 01-09-08, 11:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

they work and all but they're more of a patch fix than anything else in my eyes.
Old 01-09-08, 01:04 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I used one per side and they fit well. For $18 it is a cheap fix for the rear that is sagging. When I get my 430 I will install coilovers the first time. I like them as a cheap fix like Pure said. I don't know how long they will last (if they deteriorate) but for now they are working well. My Brother has a WRX with similiar inserts that don't wrap around. I like these because they are safer than the other remedies available (like metal ones).

I used to have an Avalon that sagged big time with 2 adults in the back - these would have been ideal for that.
Old 01-09-08, 05:01 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long have you had them installed so far?
Old 01-10-08, 12:37 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had those before...yeah don't think that they will last too long but will hold you over till there is more cash to do what you need.
Old 01-10-08, 07:48 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I have had them for 3 weeks as I installed them B4 Christmas. Not sure how long they will last - they are really hard rubber and 3/4" thick so hopefully they will last 6 months or more. I only installed them to prevent the H&R's from sagging. Definitely coilovers are the right way if anybody is contemplating lowering springs and struts. I like the low look but not being able to adjust the strut stiffness blows. You can make the LS handle really well if done properly. My set up is really close to where it was at the highest spring perch without the big fender gap. I figure if they wear out it is only $18 for two