LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

input on possible new car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 03:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to just help the guy out. If you have something you want to add for so the OP can make a better decision post it up. If not, let those who do have something to say post up.
Old 01-17-08, 07:23 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats cool im attending wyotech until december. if you want a lexus id look around. i bought my 92 with every option for $3500. if you really want a LS id sell your civic and buy one then youll have money left over for rims!
Old 01-17-08, 07:58 PM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help everyone. no need for anyone to get angry, i know where pure is coming from as i'm on many forums and have done many "search noob" posts myself.

now back to the car. so you guys think this car is worth about 3k?
Old 01-17-08, 08:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by chunky
thanks for the help everyone. no need for anyone to get angry, i know where pure is coming from as i'm on many forums and have done many "search noob" posts myself.

now back to the car. so you guys think this car is worth about 3k?
looking at the ad i would be wary of the car, looks like its been mishandled.

a-condition of paint
b-"All bad bolts on the engine have been replace." (when do you NORMALLY have to replace anything inside a 1uz.....the most u hafta do is shim the valves and do a TB.)
c-stock AirSusp (NOTORIOUS and expensive item that goes out on 1LS, and even if the OE-bags seem fine now, you throw a controller on them and lower it and they very likely might blow out, happened to my friend's first gen, blew 3 bags within 2 weeks of putting on his controller.)
Old 01-17-08, 10:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

As I mentioned before, the rust near the windshield would automatically be a deal breaker for me, but since you have the skills and access to body and paint it may not be a deal breaker for you. On the other hand, it really isn't hard to find good used 91-94 LS400s for udner $4K now days. Might have high miles, but good shape body wise you can find them. The stock Air Suspension is a bonus IMHO. Most of my friends ended up putting in after market air suspension on their LS anyway, and Air Runner uses the same bags as Lexus does. Some of my friends had UCF21s with stock air that previous owners removed and all of them wanted the air back. Sure, it can be expensive to replace/repair, but no bid deal if you can find the parts yourself and do the work yourself.
Old 01-17-08, 11:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
ya know, almost everything has been covered to death here except the occasional "i love your car dude" stuff.....

if everyone had to search for everything, there would be no conversations here except "i love your car dude"..

just sayin.....
I love you car dude.
Old 01-17-08, 11:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I love you car dude.

That sounds a little
Old 01-18-08, 10:54 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I love you car dude.
no, i love YOUR car dude! ha!
Old 01-18-08, 03:37 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
looking at the ad i would be wary of the car, looks like its been mishandled.

a-condition of paint
b-"All bad bolts on the engine have been replace." (when do you NORMALLY have to replace anything inside a 1uz.....the most u hafta do is shim the valves and do a TB.)
c-stock AirSusp (NOTORIOUS and expensive item that goes out on 1LS, and even if the OE-bags seem fine now, you throw a controller on them and lower it and they very likely might blow out, happened to my friend's first gen, blew 3 bags within 2 weeks of putting on his controller.)
Sorry.. I musta missed this somehow.. I agree with PureDrifter, on the bad bolts.. somthing has happened to this car.

The air ride is sweet, but you are running a risk with it.... kinda a toss up on it.

Ken
Old 01-18-08, 05:11 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

i would be trading a '94 turbo Civic Si. the kid has the lexus and wants a civic. i might try and get him to throw in a little cash too so i can have the rust and dent fixed. what re the normal problems these cars have? what should i look out for?
the LS is night and day from your turbo Si. it's totally the opposite of your turbo Si. its love or hate. if you like cruising slow and have a ride like on air (literally in your case) then it's for you. but if you like the speed, to shift and handling...then stick with your Si. But if you want to hook up the LS like the Si...then i won't recommanded. So make your choice, but be sure.

I picked up mine 93 with 125K in mint condition with not a single ding from one owner that did all the service at the dealer for only $2,600. it's worth around $6K...just giving you a pricing bearing.
Old 01-18-08, 05:42 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And just keep in the back of your mind that our cars when brand new were around 35 grand. That thought makes me happy. lol
Old 01-18-08, 08:12 PM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

i have decided not to go through with the trade. i'm not really looking for another project right now, just something i can slam and throw on some wheels and be happy. i still really want a lexus though so i'm sure they'll be more threads like this. thanks to everyone for there help! and another question, what kind of gas milage do the V8 lexus get? i know it'll be nothing like i'm getting now with my hatch but how much of a blow will it be to the wallet?
Old 01-19-08, 01:18 PM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends.

I bet if you look, you will find a couple threads about this
Old 01-19-08, 04:14 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by shonn
And just keep in the back of your mind that our cars when brand new were around 35 grand. That thought makes me happy. lol
mine was $40...still got the orignal sticker. $40K in 93 is like $70K now days...
Old 01-19-08, 04:16 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

i have decided not to go through with the trade. i'm not really looking for another project right now, just something i can slam and throw on some wheels and be happy. i still really want a lexus though so i'm sure they'll be more threads like this. thanks to everyone for there help! and another question, what kind of gas milage do the V8 lexus get? i know it'll be nothing like i'm getting now with my hatch but how much of a blow will it be to the wallet?
BAD! but it's worth it! rolling around in a luxury V8!! i do 350 miles per week commuting and i use the entire tank. On fill up here NY...20 gallons...$70!!! i average 18, but I have a heavy foot.

Quick Reply: input on possible new car.