LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shift Lock Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 10:57 PM
en11871
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shift Lock Solenoid

Hi,

Just wondering if the replacing the Shift Lock Solenoid will fix the clicking sound when the car is in Park and brake pedal is pressed? The click was a bitter quieter back then, but recently it has become louder. My mechanic mentioned that is the part that is needed. I just want to double check with you guys. Thanks.
Old 01-20-08, 12:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe some grease might help?
Old 01-20-08, 12:32 PM
en11871
Driver

Post shift lock solenoid...greasing

Hi,

Thanks! I'm a newbie. So do you mean greasing the solenoid? PLMK. Thanks.
Old 01-20-08, 06:23 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

I dont think you need to grease the solenoid, clinking sound means that the solenoid is working repeatedly (on and off continuously) because of bad contact of the shifter switch. The shifter switch senses P position and send a signal to solenoid to release shifter lock when you depress brake pedal

the one to replace/ clean should be the shift lock switch, not the solenoid. I am having similar issue with my shiftlock control but cant find the replacement part. I now need to use Shift lock override button instead
Old 01-21-08, 10:24 AM
nawls400
Rookie

Default okay so...

that little button down by the shifter ( I have a '91 ls400) is that supposed to be able to be pushed mine seems to be broken, or can you tell me what is that little button's function at least?
Old 01-21-08, 05:47 PM
en11871
Driver

Post Shift Lock problems

Originally Posted by qha_vn
I dont think you need to grease the solenoid, clinking sound means that the solenoid is working repeatedly (on and off continuously) because of bad contact of the shifter switch. The shifter switch senses P position and send a signal to solenoid to release shifter lock when you depress brake pedal

the one to replace/ clean should be the shift lock switch, not the solenoid. I am having similar issue with my shiftlock control but cant find the replacement part. I now need to use Shift lock override button instead
Hi,

So is it possible to get that part? PLMK.
Old 01-21-08, 06:23 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

@Nawls400: if you cant move shifter out of P while stepping on brake, that little button (named shift lock override), depressed and held, will help you to by pass the electronic locking mechanism

@en11871: i cant find it till now, i am using shiftlock override button every time the locking mechanism fails. its kind of on and off due to bad switch contact i believe
Old 01-21-08, 09:18 PM
nawls400
Rookie

@Nawls400: if you cant move shifter out of P while stepping on brake, that little button (named shift lock override), depressed and held, will help you to by pass the electronic locking mechanism

@en11871: i cant find it till now, i am using shiftlock override button every time the locking mechanism fails. its kind of on and off due to bad switch contact i believe
ok cool, that clears it up...thanks man!
Old 01-22-08, 04:03 PM
en11871
Driver

Exclamation Shift Lock Solenoid problems

qha,

Thanks for your replies. You mentioned above that "the clicking sound means that the solenoid is working repeatedly", but the clicking noise/sound is just once everytime I step on the brake pedal in Park. Just wondering if the one clicking sound is different from your "working repeatedly" the same. So the new solenoid help? So it is called "Shift Lock Switch"? How much is that piece and can I just ask Lexus for the part under that name? PLMK. Many thanks.
Old 01-22-08, 07:08 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

from my experience, if you still hear clicking sound when stepping on brake pedal, most likely the solenoid still works as it is the only thing that produces sound in shift lock mechanism

if you have access to a Lexus dealer (lucky you) just explain the symptom to them and do NOT say anything about shiftlock control switch or solenoid as these things may cause missleading and cost you more as a result

as I mentioned below, I cant find replacement part online so I dun know how much it would cost you

To me, your "one click" may mean that you solenoid is still working fine, your "shift lock control switch" is still fine. problem may be at the linkage between solenoid and the latch that locks the shifter

if you want to learn more about how the shift lock system works, please go to http://www.autoshop101.com/ and click on "Shift Interlock System". They explain very clear that you may want to fix it yourself

hope this helps