LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oil burning/Power Steering '90

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 04:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown
ok, I went and changed my oil, but how in the world do I get under the PS pump so that I can see what I'm doing? Is the valve located at the end of a hose?
You have the large hose, which is the fluid hose, and then you have two smaller air hoses - they are plugged into the valve on the PS pump. One hose comes from the air intake and goes to the valve, and the other comes from the valve and goes to the intake manifold. What you want to do is remove these hoses, buy a piece of hose of the same diameter, and run it directly from the intake to the manifold. This will resolve your smoke problems right away, but the valve will still leak until you plug it. It's kind of a pain in the *** to get to it, you should remove the fan and fan clutch, radiator cover, accessory belt, and probably the alternator as well. You should remove the alternator in any case, and clean it, since the PS fluid has been dripping onto it for a while, and you dont want it to die.

Alternatively, you can inspect under the valve, and if you dont see any fluid dripping onto the alternator, you might wanna hold off plugging the valve. You can just take the two hoses, and just loop them into each other, and then run another hose from intake to intake manifold.
Old 01-25-08, 11:02 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown
Another question. Would 205/70-15 tires fit on the stock 15" wheel?
The current ones are 205/65-15. All I want are taller tires.
YUP I AM RUNNING THE 215/70 15 ON A 91 LEXUS AND GET A PRETTY DECENT RIDE USING HYDROEDGE TIRES FROM MICHELAN WHICH ARE HARD RIDING TIRES WITH A 800 WEAR RATING OR APPROX 80,000 MILES WEAR ABILITY. HAVE 60,000 MILES ON THE NOW AND THEY STILL HAVE ABOUT HALF THE TIRE TREAD.
Old 01-27-08, 08:44 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can fit 215 on the stock wheels?
Old 02-15-08, 08:52 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Well, an update on my power steering issue. I took it to an independent Lexus mechanic, and was told that my power steering pump was leaking, and the Idle control valve was busted. I can vouch for the leak, considering I see a puddle on the ground every morning, and massive amounts of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Does 700 bucks seem alright for the pump, ICV, and a tranmission flush (parts+labor)?...out of curiosity.

Another thing he told me was that I need new ball joints...what the reasonable price they go for, and is it critical?
There's a small transmission pan leak, and i doubt its anything major, but is it worth replacing the gasket, or just torquing the bolts?

Last edited by Sixdown; 02-15-08 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 10:16 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good you found the problems -- Though I would tell him to please go ahead and plug/replace (take a look at) the PS valve -- As your description sounds exactly like it is running into your intake.

New PS pump,.. maybe 200$ --(Just off the top of my head) ICV 100-150$, transmission flush is mostly labor,.. parts maybe 40-50$ (marked up).

So on parts you would be looking at "rounded up" -- $400.. Labor 300$.

It is probably about 2 to 3 hour labor job. (Not to say that he wouldn't finish quicker) -- So its in the right ballpark. I'm sure you could get a price of more along the lines of 550-600$ from another indie mechanic. Though if this guy is certified, it might be worth it.

But be sure and get that valve checked out, explain to him all that you've read and the smoke, etc.

Oh -- As for your tranny pan. It is definitely worth replacing the gasket.. a minor leak can turn major at the drop of a hat,.. I know my tranny is worth way too much to me to risk a small leak turning into a larger one. It isn't much to drop the pan, and when they drop the pan they always put on a new gasket of course. So go ahead and add that to the list for him.

Hope that helps,
Old 02-15-08, 01:39 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Thanks for your help!
I'll get the transmission pan gasket changed asap too.

Anyone have experience using JB Weld or something like that temporarily until I can fork up some change?

The PS valve is bad, and the pump itself is leaking. I know theres a fix for the pump, but I'm just going to get it replaced entirely, with the ICV.
Old 03-22-08, 06:41 AM
jimmymac11
Driver School Candidate

I just tried JB weld in my 93 (231K miles) LS 400's air control valve. I took off the black plastic piece... put JB in the small opening... and filled the cone shaped back side of the large opening... I let it sit and harden for 2 days... put it back on and son of a gun if the thing isn't oozing fluid! I looked at it this morning and the pressure of the fluid has forced the JB weld right out of the cone shaped end! Very frustrating... especially now that fluid is on my new alternator again! I'm guessing there just wasn't enough for the JB to "weld" onto to make a decent hold. I'm tempted to just go buy a new valve.
Old 03-22-08, 09:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

thats why ur supposed to use a bolt...