LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

coilovers showed up today! UCF10

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 05:35 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if anyone wants a link tothe ebay vendor i got them from, let me know. he shipped same day and they got here from ca in 5 days via fedex. i'm very impressed with the quickness. and he answered all my questions and called megan to verify that they would fit on the ucf10 as well.
i paid $900 shipped.
Old 01-25-08, 05:54 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! It will be interesting to see how your opinions of the coilovers change over a month's use or so.

So do you have to remove the wheels to adjust the height dampening? Can you elaborate more on the settings that come with the coilovers?

Next up, you need to get your car on some scales and get it corner weighted!
Old 01-25-08, 06:03 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

yeah we'll see what happens after the springs settle....
well, i'im able to adjust height with teh wheels on, but again, i use a lift at work so that makes it easier. however, it can be done on the ground as well with teh wheels on..

i know a shop owner here for the corner weighting.
Old 01-25-08, 08:05 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 19psi,

Are you located just outside of Louisville, Im asking because i want to come check it out and ride in it. I also have a 91 LS project that im working on Im located in Shelbyville, so im only 25 mins away! Also maybe i can give our members here more insight from another opinion
Old 01-25-08, 08:50 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i live in lagrage i work in st. matthews so yeah.
Old 01-25-08, 08:55 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by 19psi
well, i'im able to adjust height with teh wheels on, but again, i use a lift at work so that makes it easier. however, it can be done on the ground as well with teh wheels on..

I had coilovers on my civic back in the days...loved them. but in NY, I can't find one shop that has corner weights to properly adjust the spring height. So after jacking the car up 20 time and adjusting the height up and down just to get the right feel...I got sick of it.
I think coilovers are the best suspension upgrade if you have the resources to take advantage of them. they can really balance your ride out and give you the adjustablility to fine tune.
Since I don't have these resources...i just got springs and shocks...
Man, for only a couple hundred more and you can get these megan coilovers...that's an awesome deal!
Old 01-27-08, 11:10 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi

So if I have a jack + jack stands can I adjust the height with the wheels on?

I'm wondering becuase this suspenion seems like exactly what I want.. and now that I have winter tires and what not, it seems like during the winter I'll have to raise my car
Old 01-27-08, 11:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
So if I have a jack + jack stands can I adjust the height with the wheels on?

I'm wondering becuase this suspenion seems like exactly what I want.. and now that I have winter tires and what not, it seems like during the winter I'll have to raise my car
yepyep, a coilover wrench and a ruler is all ya need

mind you, the car will benefit from an alignment if u plan on making BIG changes since it will affect the camber and toe.
Old 01-28-08, 05:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

yup , a jack and jackstands will let you do it with the wheels on, especialy if you have small arms. my arms are kinda big from years of weightlifting, so they don't fit between the tire and fender that well....
Old 01-28-08, 01:07 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pls post pics of your car as it sits now!
Old 01-28-08, 04:51 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i'll post pics but it's not impressive. it's not as low as it was before, due ot my ****ty weak offset 17's it's on right now. it just looks like crap really low on weak offset wheels imo.
Old 01-29-08, 06:12 PM
nawls400
Rookie

I'm lookin into new suspension...how much did you end up paying for these? I've see them for about $850...is this a reasonable price for these coilovers or even coilovers in general? Unfortunatley i am on a pretty low budget being a student, so coilovers may not be an option for me... =/
Old 01-29-08, 06:48 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

850 is a good price for coilovers period.

19psi, you should slam the car and drive it like that for a day and report back. then of course raise it back to your preference. id be forever grateful!!!

P.S. id also like to see a pic or 2 of it slammed to get an idea of possible drop.

Last edited by Dutch; 01-30-08 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-30-08, 12:28 PM
gmckey
Driver School Candidate

now people might actually believe me when I try to tell them UCF coils fit 1x and 2x out of the box w/ a few adjustments.
Old 01-30-08, 06:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gmckey
now people might actually believe me when I try to tell them UCF coils fit 1x and 2x out of the box w/ a few adjustments.
nobody ever said they wouldnt FIT.

UCF2x SPECIFIC coilovers will FIT on UCF1x but the issue is that since the piston length is longer the coilovers bottom out more (and thus will wear a lot more) when used in teh UCF1x (which has a shorter piston length.

this is why many companies make coilovers to the piston length of the UCF1x, since a shorter piston length on a UCF2x will just limit the MAX height the coilover can go up.

JIC, Wald, and iirc JP and Megan all make coilovers specific for the UCF1x and can sell them as 89-00 compatible. this is also why aforementioned coilovers, when used on UCF2x cars, are almost always at LEAST 1/2-1in. lower than factory even when on max height.

Quick Reply: coilovers showed up today! UCF10