LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner LS400 1994

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 01:11 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New owner LS400 1994

Hi,

I recently bought a LS400 with 228,000 Miles for $4500. I usually would have not even flinched at a car with those kind of miles but I know about these cars. So I took a look at it.

Long story short, for a 1994, LS400 with over 200k, it is immaculate. The paint looks brand new. (Been garage kept). Out of all the people in the world to own it, an ASE certified Master Mechanic. Now that doesn't mean the car was great, but could be a good sign.

It is champagne (silverish color), with tan/brown leather interior.

At first glance here is the laundry list:

Climate control is blackening. -- (He is fixing that this week.. having to wait on a part from the West though)

Fuel Gauge in the Instrument Cluster was at the bottom -- (Says he has it working now from examining it, but it isn't likely to stay working, and found a guy in ND or Canada) that will fix them for $195. (Is there any better option than $195 for my fuel gauge if it is definitely caused by the intrument cluster?

No CD player in dash, so I looked in trunk. 5-6 Disc change in trunk, though the magazine wasn't in it, and it looked like it had been banged by something. He said he thinks it still works, he will get the magazine. (Not a deal breaker of course). This was wired to the console (between the seats) when you lift it up there is a hand held controller to select song/disc, etc. This powers up.

The leather looks great,.. no holds or anything, but it has these streaks in it between the main creases.. of a lighter color. Almost like they could be rubbed out. (Remember this is a Tan/Brown leather). -- Is there any product or method to smooth the color of these streaks? This would really make the seats look good, but they are in good condition even the way they are.

Everything electrical works, seats, steering wheel, radio, AC/Heat, climate control, windows, every button I could find and press (sunroof, etc).

So I take it out for a test drive.

Its smooth, great, has the lexus ride.

Runs fine around the neighborhood, so I got it out on a faster artery.. about 40-50mph. Good, but no room to speed it up.. So then take it on to a major highway/interstate.

I at first, stayed around 60/65 mph and just cruised. I would press the "overdrive" button in and out to test its function. Yup, it dropped it from 5th to 4th gear. (or perhaps 4th to 3rd, whatever the top gear in those cars is). Also it has an ETC/Power button. I then switched that out. Couldn't tell a difference while driving normally.

So I decided it was time to test it a little harsher.

I would slow down in the left lane, to about 45mph.. Then get on the gas till about 85-90mph. (It doesn't take long). I might let it ride at 80Mph for a minute then back down to 65-70 for 'cops sake'. I kept slowing down and gunning it, it is smooth.

Is this how they are supposed to act? When you push the gas in it can swap one or two gears. (at these speeds) -- If it drops one you get a modest pickup in speed, but if you press it in slightly further it drops one more, and it goes like a bat out of hell. (I could tell, I think, that with the power mode engaged it would more quickly switch to the 'bat out of hell' mode. (As if it was more sensitive to the faster down gearing with the power button selected'.

I rolled down the windows, had everything off,.. No sign of detonation/pinging, or even suspension trouble. (To note: My father has a 1999 LS 400 with 120k on it, and I rode with him over there. So I had an immediate comparison to judge it by.) To drive both cars you wouldn't know which one was which with your eyes closed.

To the guts:

The mechanic said he had done a major maintenance at 190,000. Which included, but not limited to:

Pulling the engine (He said he wish all cars made their engines like lexus, as I inquird how difficult it must have been to pull the engine in such a sophisticated car,.. he said it was the easiest he had ever done) --

Anyhow,.. With the engine pulled:

A) Changed the timing belt.

B) Replaced wear and tear seals

C) New Water Pump

D) New alternator

E) Oil/filter, and other recommended maintenance .. I honestly can't remember it all.

Between then and 220k, he has put a new battery in it, and he said he changes the oil with only lexus parts (filters) and only uses lexus parts for any maintenance. Good to know.

What he is doing this week.. (I am so anxious to pick the car up, but he promised to do some thing before I got it)

The power steering is slightly leaking (he had to tell me that, I couldn't tell) -- So he is putting in a new rack and pinion. Said if that doesn't stop the leak, he will continue until he fixes it. -- Ok great.

Fixing the LCD blackening problem (he has it out in pieces now, says he is waiting on that part) --says that will take at least until Saturday and maybe longer--

Fixing a sensor on the rear passenger window .. the window sometimes won't respond to the driver side button to roll up,.. (he said its a bad contact)

Putting in new motor mounts (and tranny mount) -- He mentioned this would make it ride alot better.. even though it rides fine imo.. but I can imagine at these miles it wouldn't hurt.

Finally changing the oil and filter -- (This is where he said he would only use a lexus filter) -- I mentioned something like do you mind changing the oil/filter.. you can use anything here from the shop, and he said oh no.. I only use Lexus parts, even the oil filter. (Basically while he has it, he is going to do it right.) -- Which I respect and will follow.

I'm not bragging here by any means,.. Just curious based on description , this sounds like a really good car and decent deal.. right?

The only thing that might move the price up a hundred or two are the motor mounts.. that was not part of the original price deal. So it might be 4700$ in total.

I have a down payment now, and he gets the rest of the money when I pick it up.

He said yesterday that at worst all would be done Saturday 'minus the climate control blacken' -- I would think that part could be shipped overnight/2day and he could get that done between now and Saturday.

The hardest thing, to me, would be doing the rack and pinion -- But when I mention that he say ooooh no.. That is the easiest thing, I can knock that out in no time flat.

He's the mechanic, not me.. and he has obviously had this car in a zillion pieces more times than I know.. So he knows how it works and what takes a while.

Oh forgot to mention he resurfaced the rotors, but left original pads on. So brakes are smooth, but pads probably have 30-40% life left on them.

Tires are good, but again, are now new. I'd guess 10-15k left on the tires.

Any thoughts?

Any things I should ask, and look out for?

Any ideas on that instrument cluster fuel gauge?

Any ideas on the leather seats I mentioned?

*I also have a buyer for my car who wants to come asap to pick it up, so I'm holding him off while waiting on this car to be ready* -- I don't want to rush the mechanic but I also would like to have the car by no later than this Saturday. Based on what I've said, that is doable, no? *He has his own shop*

The car was listed for sale in the paper 2.5 weeks ago, and I made initial contact 2 weeks ago, and put the down payment down last Thursday. So expecting the car this coming up weekend isn't unreasonable.. or is it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.. (I love the way this thing looks and especially rides.) -- So you can imagine my want to get out of my current jalopy of a car and into this smooth machine. (I'm selling my old car for $1500 -- Its a 240sx, in decent condition, but I'm getting rid of it).

Thanks again!
Old 02-05-08, 01:15 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh another 240 owner turned Lex owner. We need some pics of this beauty. Grats on the purchase. And WELCOME!
Old 02-05-08, 01:21 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. The biggie is the timing belt assembly. As for leather be careful not to use anything too abrasive or acidic as the color can rub off with age. My arm rests were discolored. I used leather cleaner and the top layer of the leather rubbed off. Anyhow, I got a guy who sprayed some kind of leather paint on them for $100 and they look absolutely brand new.

These cars will downshift into passing gear at high speeds. I was driving back from Alabama and was going 85 MPH when I floored it and it took off.

Pics are alawyas good though.
Old 02-05-08, 06:19 PM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, he must really want to get rid of it to be doing so much work on it for you...$4500 sounds steep for those miles. Why would'nt he put in new mounts when he "pulled the engine"? You could probably do better for $4500, in my opinion, but, to each his own. You know what you saw, I don't. If you feel you are done looking, go for it.
Old 02-05-08, 06:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i mean, for what he is doing, i really woldn't complain, but thats if he is doing it right. and believe me, you will get rid of the car before it dies, has a lot of life left in it
Old 02-05-08, 07:08 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nolyaw
Boy, he must really want to get rid of it to be doing so much work on it for you...$4500 sounds steep for those miles. Why would'nt he put in new mounts when he "pulled the engine"? You could probably do better for $4500, in my opinion, but, to each his own. You know what you saw, I don't. If you feel you are done looking, go for it.

Yup, 240 converted to Lexus -- I never did anything to the 240 though, .. actually I am doing more to the car now prepping it for sale than I did while owning it. Example, today I just changed the oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, put in seal conditioner/oil treatment -- Fuel treatment.

My 240 has been 'wobbling' for a year now.. I knew the tires on the back were not so hot, but I had no idea.

I got two new tires put on the back for about 200$ today and the ride is like a dream compared to what it was the past year. Sheesh. --

I'm done mechanically on the 240, going to take it and get it detailed (I never washed the thing..) So it deserves it, and a guy is buying it for 1600$ -Saturday.

Now back to the lexus:

It isn't really that way. It was in the paper, and he is really not in a hurry at all the get his money. He is a mechanic, been doing it 25yrs, ASE (insert other big cert acronyms) --

His wife drove this lexus when they got it at 88k miles. It was garage kept, and all of this work minus the fuel gauge were things he was already in the process of doing before I even came along. This is simply a process of me waiting till he is done with what he was going to do if *I* bought it, or Joe Blow bought it 3 months from now.

The motor mounts he brought up, and we discussed them. It was an 'option' -- He said it would make it ride even better if I wanted him to do it,.. but it was my call. He was going to be under the engine with the rack and pinion anyway, so he'd throw them on.

This is a guy working with me, not begging me to buy the thing.

You wouldn't believe how good this car looks , and how it drives for the miles. If someone pulled up in it, and asked me what year I thought it was, I'd guess a 99 or 2001 or something. Then if they took me for a ride and asked how many miles, I'd probably guess like 80k. I literally can't tell a shade of difference in the ride and power from a lexus with 100k (well taken care of, 99 model) and this one.

Also he pulled the engine at 190,000. This is when he changed the timing/seals, all that major stuff he did in 2006. Why he didn't put mounts in then, I don't know.

I just talked to him 30 mins ago,.. He said he had done the motor mounts and the door switch today. (He does this stuff on the side as he is working on clients cars in his shop). So apparently Motor mounts aren't a very difficult thing for him to accomplish. Also judging by what he has done to the car, and what he says he gets done when I come by/call he is extremely fast with it.

The only thing that is holding things up is this dang Climate control LCD (Blackened problem) -- He promised that would be part of the deal, fixed,.. and apparently he has to contact some guy in california for the part , so he can fix it himself. We live in Alabama.. So he is saying everything else will be no problem to get finished by saturday, except due to that part.. Which he says will take 2 days at least to get here from California,.. the car won't likely be ready on Saturday.

I called back on his work Cell, and left a message just now, asking him if he would just contact the guy who has the LCD part and get it Fedex'ed overnighted and just add that amount on to the price of the car. The part can't be more than a few pounds, and I'm willing to pay 20-40$ shipping to get the car on Saturday. (As I have my car being sold saturday, and it would be extremely convenient).

He says out of all the things he is fixing the Climate control is the most time consuming for him. He has it out of the car now, and he said it takes a while to get apart and out. (Something he doesn't want to put back in until he gets the part and solders whatever needs to be done --And Idon't blame him.. ) --

Oh well, I sound like I'm justifying my purchase here .. heh, that isn't what I'm doing. I'm just trying to explain the nature of the transaction.

It went something like this:

Hi, I understand you have a Lexus LS400 for sale? Yup, it is on the rack.

When I went over to see it, the car was on a rack with all the wheels off. So I just got to check out the inside, electronics and body/etc. -- I said , ok I am interested, if the car drives like it looks I believe we will have a deal.

He said, sounds good. This is what I am doing to the car.. (Then proceeds to name off a grocery list of items he is fixing right now while the car is on the rack, and things that will be fixed before I pick up the car (should I choose to buy it). -- I was ready to buy it before he mentioned any of that.

That really sold me.. but it wasn't driven, and I was very hesitant about the milage.

I came back, as I said, a week or so later.. And he had it parked outside. He gave me the key,.. didn't ask me for my keys, license , or anything. Said go drive it as long as you need and come back and let me know what you think.

So, as I reported in my initial post,.. I did. I was gone at least 30mins if not 45. I tested the car the best I could. -- Honestly I wanted to bring it home right then and there. But we had alot of work to let him get finished.. So I said, ok.. I'll take it. How about $500 down now to secure the car to me, and you finish up this work? He said sounds good. He wrote out a down payment on a piece of paper and signed it.. I cut him a check.

So He is due 4,000.

The only 'extra' things beyond what he already was fixing is the motor mounts (which he got done for right about 100$ -- including a transmission mount, which I didn't even know was included -- I thought you had two motor mounts on each side of the engine.. shows you what I know) --

And, the fuel gauge (in the instrument cluster). Of which he explained he determined after taking it out that it was the sending unit in the cluster not the receiving unit in the tank (which is good mechanically wise) -- The bad, he admitted he didn't have the know how to fix it, but found a guy up North who would fix the cluster for $195. So we've decided to leave it be for now. (Even though he has the fuel gauge working as of this writing,.. I guess him fiddling with it sparked it into working temporarily).

So he has to put in the new rack - pinion, and get the part to make the LCD look like new and put that back in.. And the car is ready to go.

He said the LCD labor time would probably be 3-5 hours for him, due to electrical work that had to be done, and all the pieces and such. *He's a mechanic not a lexus electrical engineer* =)

A rack n pinion I thought would be a huge deal to replace, but he says that is one of the least time consuming things he has to do, .. go figure.

Sooo

Sorry so long here -- But it all comes down to some stink'n part for the LCD display being shipped over.

Given that, maybe one of you guys knows of this common problem, and can get me into contact with someone who has these parts, who can ship him the part he needs overnight? That I could pass on to him?

Considering , from the posts/guides I've read, it seems to be a very common problem with this car.

Oh, another thing I thought was nice of the guy -- He said he would provide free labor and a 15% discount on all parts (he gets them for that price) -- On anything at all I needed done to the car over the next year after I buy it. If something breaks, I get it fixed for parts only.. Or if I just want something added.. (I have no ideas of any lexus modifications, but it seems like there are some judging by these forums).. He'll put it on/in for free.

So basically it sounds like he is really proud of the car, and stands behind what he is selling because he's taken care of it personally. Moreso than you or I (those of us who aren't mechanics by profession) could dream of doing. If I could I would go to my shop,.. Put my 240 on my fancy lift.. And drop the motor out of it and rebuild it. I'd open up the tranny/clutch and adjust it, or maybe replace it. Throw some bushings in , etc etc.. And then sell it for 3-4 grand.

To be honest, I think he could get 'more' money out of the car. Though the year and milage is keeping it in check. I think this is a vehicle that is worth more than the $4500, if all of that makes sense.

Oh, I will be sure to post pictures when I pick it up. Engine bay, inside, outside, etc.

Thanks for the replies -- and if you do know anything about the Climate control 'LCD' part of these cars or especially a 'guy' or store somewhere that sells the parts to fix the 'blackened displays' .. Please let me know asap.. So I can get in contact with the mechanic and maybe get this 'holdup' sped up so I have the car this weekend.

Be well,

Last edited by Neofate; 02-05-08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 07:17 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmd93
i mean, for what he is doing, i really woldn't complain, but thats if he is doing it right. and believe me, you will get rid of the car before it dies, has a lot of life left in it

I'm not complaining one bit.. I think this is a gift from god,.. to find a car that I can afford , this nice, that has someone like this who has taken care of it.

Now obviously I can't use my x-ray vision and inspect his work he did at 190k, and such -- but judging by the way things drove, and all his employee's and co-workers. It seems like this guy is one of the top mechanics locally. When I walked into the shop I asked for the guy, and mentioned about the miles -- One of the guys there (rough looking guy) was like if you knew the guy who owned the car you wouldn't be worried about the miles, and just grinned.

So apparently this guy might be a little OCD on keeping things running well. He is a master mechanic for a reason, he doesn't like to see mechanical things running improperly -- And by the way he described things, it seems like he has done alot of homework over the years on these cars. He rattled off a half a dozen other lexus's he said come in his shop that he did X and Y too. That guide I read about the common problems with lexus's.. He mentioned all those problems right off the bat speaking about the other cars, and then relayed the information to 'his' car and so forth.

Basically it all feels solid. It definitely looks it, and it drives like new -- So unless someone can magically make a car look/feel and drive fantastic .. and then it fall apart a few weeks later (and also gaurantee in the bill of sale free labor on any future work for 12months..) -- Then I think everything is as 'said'.

Most people wouldn't put any implied warranty on a car with 220k on the odometer. He happens to be a mechanic so he has the 'skills' to do so. Even so, he really is being nice by adding that free service in the deal, imho.

I knew these cars went a long way -- But you think this thing is gonna still be running when I get rid of it yeares down the road? -- I basically asked him this bottom line question.

Do you think I can get an easy 60,000 miles out of this car without any maintenenace..

He said,.. well, no. I was like well what do you think?

He said you'll be able to get an easy 60,000 out of the car but you will have to replace the tires in probably 10-15k, the brakes in X amount of time.. .. I just smiled.. I was like I meant major maintenance not the wear and tear stuff like tires and brakes. He said, sure sure. That would be absolutely no problem.

From what you say, it sounds like this thing (if maintainted properly) will go another 220. (not that I'm gonna keep it that long)
Old 02-05-08, 07:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ o no i didnt say you were complaining, i just meant i woudn't lol, hope there wasn't a mis understanding
Old 02-05-08, 07:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

o and another thing, the dealer a few miles from my house has two ls 400's and has 445,000 miles, and the other one has 565,000 miles. they keep them both under car covers out in their lot and bring both of them in everyonce in a while to show people shopping around for lexus. in other words, your car will be running for quite a while
Old 02-05-08, 10:10 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

No misunderstanding

And, wow,.. 500k, and I bet the dealer has those things in pristine condition. Its like sure you want to buy a car for the rest of your life, look no further.. heh.
Old 02-06-08, 04:49 AM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you are happy with parting with your cash for the car...wish you lived down the street from me. oh, by the way, the trannys tend to get soft around 300k, which is amazing, but you are closer than most. Enjoy.
Old 02-06-08, 06:37 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you are happy with parting with your cash for the car...wish you lived down the street from me. oh, by the way, the trannys tend to get soft around 300k, which is amazing, but you are closer than most. Enjoy.

Sure,.. I view money in a number of ways, but I view the way it is utilized in black and white.

Aside from 'essential needs' -- You can either spend it on items that in the long run you have 'nothing to show for' -- or you can spend it on items that become 'assets' -- It isn't a case of , where did all my money go?

I had a need for a reliable car -- I wasn't out hunting for an LS400, or even a Lexus particularly, it was just on the agenda to get some sort of reliable automobile (for a decent low price range).

This came along, and one thing led to another, I take a good deal when I have the funds.

This turns into a need fulfilled, and an asset. Where I could easily have kept my car I have (2nd car now --240sx) and burned that money away on pesky bills -- hehe, no seriously on food, movies, gadgets, just whatever.. poof , gone.

I take it you are either selling a car, or you are calling me an easy 'sale' -- Either way that is fine hehe..

I was going to ask you what you meant exactly by your last statement "which is amazing, buy your closer than most" -- But after a few seconds on the brain I realize you simply mean the transmissions on these cars tend to start to go 'bad' at about 300k miles, and I am closer than *most* people with a 1994 Lexus in reaching that 300k mark.

I don't know enough about the cars to argue one way or another on that remark. I would tend to think the tranny would hold up an even more amazing feat than 300k all depending on maintenance (mainly fluid changes/mounts) and how the car had been driven.

Slow cruising, never racing/hard shifting -- with proper maintenance intervals, I could see a transmission lasting 5-600k.

Though again I know nothing about the longevity of the transmissions of the LS400's,.. so maybe some can enlighten me.

If it shifts smooth as silk now -- When can I anticipate having to replace the transmission. (300k about right like was mentioned?) -- Also, is it usually a replacement or just a major maintenance?

Because I know opening the tranny up and replacing parts costs about as much or more than a new or low milage one.

If ithat happened to occur.. (needing a transmission fixed) -- What type of maintenance cost am I looking at?

$1500 ' ish?

What about your high milage guys/ladies who are over 200k -- Any troubles? How far have you gotten without transmission major maintenance ?

Even if it is 300k for a 1500-2k tranny service, thats 80k of good milage,.. I think that'd be worth it.. (It is just gonna have to be isn't it? lol )
Old 02-06-08, 09:40 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

ok....NOW i like the "search" idea......LOL.
Old 02-06-08, 10:49 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the club neofate, I just hit 209k on the clock today and not a single tranny hickup so far

OT but I had a buddy who managed to get 400k out of his 92 before it finally blew up, he never changed the oil... or anything for that matter. So do your maintenance and the sky is the limit.
Old 02-06-08, 12:31 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea thats what i was thinking nolyaw

$4500?

I dunnooooooooooo about that

I got my 94 white 8/10 condition body and paint
Decent interior
Gauge cluster not working and needs new engine mounts
90k miles is ready for another round at 195,000 miles but i got mine for $2400

I think $3500 sounds better did you even try to negotiate? The problem with guys is we dont want to negotiate. maybe you should say $4000

Quick Reply: New owner LS400 1994